Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Red Bulbs:

just buy white ones, and paint them red with 88C walmart spray

cheers, brian

How good does that work? Might just do that if I can't find those little rubber cover things.

I was thinking of changing the dash light color in the Legacy :) I've seen TW5 had red lights so I thought I'd mimic that Lol.

I don't know of any truck stops around this area.. Maybe off of 894 going torwads IL..? But I ain't driving that far for some dope bulbs :lol:

Hit up your local Flying J. They have 194s, and similar bulbs in all colors of the sun, as well as LEDs, and colored bulb condoms.

Truckers have all that dope stuff. :lol:

If they aren't Dimming bulbs, you could pair a bright red LED with a resistor and wire it in. It would only cost about a $1-$2 per light.I did this on my dome light just because i kept leaving it on and draining my battery. Now it can be on for days without killing the battery.

just a thought.

If they aren't Dimming bulbs, you could pair a bright red LED with a resistor and wire it in. It would only cost about a $1-$2 per light.I did this on my dome light just because i kept leaving it on and draining my battery. Now it can be on for days without killing the battery.

just a thought.

Thank you, Thats a thought! :banana:

Hit up your local Flying J. They have 194s, and similar bulbs in all colors of the sun, as well as LEDs, and colored bulb condoms.

Truckers have all that dope stuff. :lol:

yep... exactly were I found the LEDs for my '72...

Tom - truck stops in your neck of the woods are south of the 894 on 94 -

Oak Creek area and south...

exit 322 - Ryan Rd - has a Pilot and something else - might find the different bulbs and/or covers there (west side of freeway)

exit 333 - Washington Ave - has a smaller Petro - they would probably have a lot of the lighting alternatives (again, west side of freeway)

Or....on your way up this way (hint, hint) there is an even bigger Petro at exit 108 ;)

I highly recommend superbrightleds.com! I've done both of my FJ60 dash's

A couple lessons learned:

1 - do not put in super bright bulbs for blinkers - one of my FJ's nearly causes seizures at night from the strobe! I block with my hand when turning...

2 - maybe not 100% applicable, but i did not do any resistors in my FJ dash. Lights dim fine, but a shorter throw range. So you turn it up or down without using the full start/stop range. Still dims but quicker. Hope that makes sense. And hopefully it applys to a soobie (i'll find out soon - got a new 88 DL that will get all LEDs in cluster).

Anyway - hope that helps. I'm a total LED geek and just about every bulb in my cruisers is LED except blinkers (so they blink correctly w/o new flasher or resistors).

GL!

rob

Yeah I've been on that site before and might switch them to LEDs as the red paint looks ok, but its kinda dim. I don't bother with dimming the dash lights anyway.

Post some pics of your FJ! I always like the Old Toyotas :banana:

It's your thread so sure! I'll have a couple pics here, or you can read a big build log here.

My original blue LED dash:

DSC_7714.JPG

Vs stock:

DSC_7623.JPG

and the second try in red:

DSC_7702.JPG

If you do this in your soob please post up pics too!

rob

I LOVE the blue LEDS. I also love the all red brat with "steve vai" on the display.. woohoo. I know it's not a Subie but I did my GS500 dash lights in blue with some generic 194s from autozone:

bluedash1.jpg

(yeah, my blue lens is missing from my brights indicator.)