Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SOS Broken Down in Michigan City, IN. HELP!

Folks,

I was on I-90 E when I noticed my coolant temp gauge going near the H. I kept an eye on it and it suddenly went back down to normal and then quickly back up to H. I pulled over as I saw smoke starting to come out of the engine and turned off the car. It was smoking, not streaming. I pulled out the engine dip stick and there was white smoke coming out.

I checked the upper and lower radiator hoses. The upper was HOT but the lower was luke warm. I suspect it's a bad t-stat, but it's an OE t-stat.

I unplugged one of the wires and had someone crank it to check the arc. It was a yellow arc, not the nice blue arc. This is a video of me trying to crank the engine- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUpKO3zFcOA

I am thinking (hoping) when it overheated it burned out the coil pack. I am getting another from AutoZone in the morning at 11am. I am praying the ignitor (ICU) is fine. I will change the oil in the morning and also drain the coolant and pull the t-stat. I don't have another OE t-stat. Can I run the radiator with no t-stat?

I am marooned in Michigan City, IN. I am staying at a motel for $80/night. There is an AutoZone across the street and an Advance Auto Parts a block away.

HELP! If you are in Michigan City or in the area and want to help then I will have your babies for you! 773-407-0854 is my number. HELP!

Edited by bstone

I drained the oil and coolant. There was barely any coolant, even despite me adding nearly a half gallon last night.

I noticed there was a steady leak coming from the timing belt cover on the driver's side. The lower radiator hose does not appear to be leaking. If I recall correctly, the water pump is on the driver's side. It appears my water pump is leaking. Possibly it leaked out the coolant, causing a massive overheat.

I am getting towed to a local import shop that will do the labor for replacing the cylinder heads and HGs for $700. I will have to supply the parts.

Ugg.

what vehicle and year?

if the water pump was leaking then you might not need headgaskets?

in general a leaking water pump does not mean you need new headgaskets. nor does one overheat. but there's a lot of variables here too.

we're lacking a lot of information to help you considering we can't look at or touch the vehicle.

Update:

Worst case scenario has happened. I got towed to a local import shop and their "subaru guy" and I took out the fans, removed the belts and took off the timing belt covers. The timing belt was a little bit loose but intact. It looked to be one tooth off. The water pump, however, was in very bad shape. It was very clearly leaking everything that came through it.

We removed the old pump and put on a new one that I happen to have with me. Also replaced the timing belt, making sure the alignment was perfect. Replaced the t-stat with an OE I had (I carry a lot of parts). Filled it with fluid and tried to turn it over. With the radiator cap on and secure the coolant was shooting very forcefully out of it, down onto the ground. The mechanic told me to stop and said "it's the head gasket". Exhaust gas is getting into the coolant, super pressurizing it and making the coolant escape.

Worst case scenario has happened.

They happen to have another 2.5L Outback engine with 200k miles on it. They are selling it to me for $500 and will install it for $600. I asked them to entirely reseal it, with new HGs, crank seals, cam seals, exhaust seals, PCV plate, rear main seal, etc. That will add a few hundred to it, including the time they spent today.

All told I am getting the high mileage/newly sealed motor for $2k. If all parts come then I will drive out of here tomorrow evening. I hope.

I had hoped that it was just a timing issue. The water pump leaked out all the coolant and caused the motor to overheat.

That's my story. I just wish this happened in Chicago where I could have done all of this at the shop I worked at. I will take the old motor with me and rebuild it in my spare time. Then, when this motor is on its way out, I'll install the old/rebuilt one.

Not an ideal way to spend my time. Motel room and rental car is adding up quick. Anyone want to send me money?

Got the used engine in the car. All new gaskets- HG, valve cover, cam, crank, exhaust, etc. Used FelPro gaskets. You can see the triple layer of the HG.

Have the old motor in the back. Bringing it home with me and will rebuild it. Maybe in a year or so when it's totally rebuilt I'll put it in.

The used engine needs a knock sensor as it is throwing that code. All in all it seems to be doing ok.

Tonight I replaced all 4 plugs, taking out Bosch Platinum and putting in NGK Laser Platinum. The misfires went away. Then a black man came onto the drive way and pulled a gun on me and stole the car. I am not kidding.

I am being factually correct when I say a black man, 5'6-5'8, thin build, wearing a black hoodie with the hood over his head came on the driveway, pointed a gun at my head and took my car. It's merely descriptive. I would have just as easily said white man.

atleast he said black man and not some racial slur

I agree 100%! However, in this person's first post, they offered to "have babies" for anyone who will help them, perhaps this "he" is not a "he" at all, and we should accept everyone, black/white/green/purple/male/female as we are, people who live/love Subaru...

As a side note, I'm confused- to me, Michigan City, IN. would have meant Indiana, not Michigan, Mass. OR CT??? What up???

it's been hours later and I can't figure out what New Haven has to do with Indiana...

His Subie broke down in Michigan City, IN on a road trip traveling east. This was the subject of his original post. After swapping out his motor, he then traveled to New Haven, CT, where he had his car stolen.

I am visitng friends in New Haven, CT and was carjacked at their house. I had broken down in Michigan City, IN but got out of there after getting a used EJ25. I am male. The baby statement was meant as humor.

more reasons why I never hang out in New haven.. I just go in Ikea and head right back home lol.

bstone,

I read that the cops found your car. So, I guess it was returned to you? Any damage, or contents missing? Sorry to hear about your scary ordeal. I am the guy you talked with a couple of times, when you were stuck in Mich City. Hope all is well, or at least better with you now........Larry (Rooster2)