Ultimate Subaru Message Board

its air bagged i swear............

ya pretty much. i literally just tossed my own sense of judgment out... i was kinda pissed coming home from motion industries(sell bearings) ( took your advice) and they wanted 25 bucks a bearing. which surprised me. so i asked about sealed ones. 35 bucks.... grr.... and they had cheapy made in china ones for 8 bucks and i said no to that cuz i want somthing with some quality. well the lift broke and now im better. lmao

Easy maybe yes, it were a proven method I could see trying it again. I don't think you will find anyone who will co-sign the idea. Please don't drive that on the road it's not safe. Someone could get seriously hurt. I have a lifted wagon as well and am all for it, but if your not going to do it right, please don't do it at all.

Those look like aluminized exhaust tubing. Maybe you should go for steel.

"Aluminized" means it's coated - it's still steel.

Exhaust tubing is about as cheap as steel gets - that's mild steel only in the sense that the catagory includes everyhing below it as well - which is where exhaust tubing falls. It's not designed to carry a load - ANY load. That is not it's purpose in life.

I do not like the "extend the strut tube" type lifts. I've bent the stupid strut tubes and extending them/welding on them is just asking for a huge, messy bucket of FAIL - not to mention it provides for no camber adjustment at all which is a problem either way but is easier solved with strut top lifts.

As it is the stock struts need extra dampening to keep them in one peice - better to add to the body where the strut mounts and drop the strut and knuckle as an assemble. Then add extra dampening in the form of a Rancho type shock.

Unless you are a machinist and can truely fabricate tube extensions that are not 1/16" thick.... you should not be trying this method at all as you could easily kill yourself and worse you could kill someone not involved with your decision making process.

GD

Unfortunately hack-rump roast junk like this is what gets laws passed against modifying cars. How'd you like to live in a state where no suspension, exhaust, or drivetrain modifications are allowed?

If that had folded on the road, and you had hit someone and killed their child, they would be up in the statehouse campaigning for a law against modified cars. And that would screw all the people that actually had well-engineered modifications to their suspensions.

It's not a "mothers touch". Your stupid actions could easily screw everyone over. Do it right or don't do it at all. It's not hard, or expensive to do a lift the right way. The consequences for doing it the wrong way could be dire. You got lucky this time, wise up and fix your attitude towards modifications so it doesn't happen again.

Edited by WoodsWagon
************ing swear filter

It's all good - just learn from it and do better with the next version. :)

You are young yet - younger than I was when I first lifted a Subaru. Give this stuff a little more time - patience is key to making your splash in the gene pool. Too much desire for instant gratificiation can snuff you out like a candle.

GD