Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axles Axles Axles

I have acquired several axles

0902001324.jpg

Top are EA81 fronts with one rear (there is also an EA71 rear in the mix:rolleyes: ), bottom are EA82 fronts.

I intend to reuse them. So i am in the process of cleaning all of them like so

0902001420.jpg

I will post up pictures showing size differences between inner/outer joint internals and EA81/EA82 parts. If i had an EA82 rear i would have all the possibilities and could see what parts can be interchanged.

This is what happens when i have too much time on my hands :rolleyes:

If anyone has any questions about specifics (sizes, lengths whatever) just let me know and i will see what i can find :)

-Andy

One thing I have noticed is the some shafts have a ring holding the (?) inner race on, and, some have a ridge on the shaft to keep the race in place. Dunno if that is a factory vs. aftermarket factor but as far as longevity is concerned, the one with the ridge doesn't blow out as fast.

A couple things that i have figured out-

If you dismantle the axle completely keep the ball bearings separated. They are different sizes for inner and outer joints.

And another thing that stumps me a bit is all the EA82 axles are not the same. I do not know where they each came from originally, but there are differences with the internal components on a few of them (mostly just size difference). This might be an factory vs after market difference but i dont know which is which.

Photos coming soon

-Andy

Comparison pictures: These are all EA82 Axle components

IMG_3568.JPG

Above is a shot of all the axle shafts (one with the cv joint still attached (sucker didnt want to come off)). They are all the same length, but the two on each far side are larger in diameter than the three in the middle.

IMG_3569.JPG

A little hard to see but the two on the outside are both the same larger diameter and the three in the middle are all the same smaller diameter (used a micrometer to make sure).

IMG_3570.JPG

The two on the right are larger CV joints and even slightly longer overall length than the three to the left. Yet the splines and threaded area are the same diameter.

IMG_3571.JPG

Another shot to show the size difference.

IMG_3573.JPG

This is the odd axle out on the left. It is the same size as the smaller ones but the CV joint shape is slightly different.

IMG_3574.JPG

The top three DOJ cups are smaller diameter than the bottom two.

IMG_3575.JPG

There is also a slight height difference.

Overall theses axles will fit the same way in any EA82 vehicle. But two of them are noticeably beefier (inside and out) than the other three. I would like to think that they are factory and the smaller three are aftermarket. But i have no way of knowing for sure since i don't know where they originally came from.

-Andy

IIRC, the 2wd axles have a little bit more beef then the 4wd ones. Could be why you are seeing bigger ones.

I was going to mention that. Do you have any ea82T axles in there? Are there differences there as well? I know the splines changed from 23 to 25. There's a few other differences as well I believe in the ea81 axles as well. Some say there's a ea81 FWD sedan axle that has the 23 spline? Is that right?

Have you found a good source for boots?

This has been frustrating for me :-\

I get most of my auto part needs from carquest because i can get it at cost (im special :grin:) But when i ordered boots from carquest the first time i did a few axles i had problems.

The boots fit EA81 axles just fine like they should. On EA82 the boots of course did not fit fine. The outer cv boots were stretchy enough to get on, but the inner boots could not physically fit on the larger DOJ cups. So i go into carquest and get on their computer to do some searching through their providers. They only carry those two boots. I could not even find a third part number anywhere for any EA axle.

So my approach has been to use the stretchier outer boots on both outer and inner joints when it comes to the EA82 axles. Seems to work so far.

Ive been doing some searching through the net to try and find boots that are sized for EA82 inner joints with mostly no luck.

Does anyone know if the DOJ cups on EJ axles are larger than EA81? If they are i might try ordering those to use on EA82 and see if they fit.

-Andy

Glad it has been helpful, its been very helpful for me also.

I have been doing some thinking.

If yall are right about the 2wd being larger than the 4wd (im confident you are) then that is what is causing my axle boot frustrations.

I did some comparrison shots between the smaller EA82 4WD Axle joints and the EA81 Axle joints

IMG_3576.JPG

They do look different in size and they are (EA82 on left, EA81 on right)

IMG_3577.JPG

The diameters are not much different though.

IMG_3578.JPG

Same goes for the DOJ cups (81 on left, 82 on right)

IMG_3579.JPG

What this means to me is i made a mistake. The first time i redid a few axles for Bill i must have picked up a FWD EA82 axle. The boots i ordered of course would not fit because these axles are much larger than both EA81 and EA82 4WD axles.

The way i will check this is to get my carquest parts slave (aka my mom) to look up EA82 FWD axles boots and see if the part numbers are different. Then all i have to do is order the right stuff and problem solved :rolleyes:

-Andy

After searching through the books this is what came up,

The only late 80's subaru that has an axle boot listed under a different part number is a 2wd rx and a dl 4wd justy (that is according to the part books they have in the store).

Otherwise all the other 80's subarus use part number 85-0911 for the outer joint and 85-0999 for the inner (according to the books) :confused:

All i need is an axle boot that is a little over 3 1/2 inches in diameter to fit the larger EA82 joints. So im waiting for those boots under different part numbers to get in stock so i can measure them. Maybe one day i will get this figured out :rolleyes:

-Andy

Do the early subies have the same part number.

The RX, or any turbo transmission will have 25 splines on the input whereas the non turbo's will have 23 (correct me if i'm wrong)

Autos are another ball of wax, but since no one in their right mind would drive an EA-Auto unless it was an emergency, they are kind of a moot point.

As per 89 XT and the 87 everything else manuals

XT

87AC-23 Manual Trans 23 spline

87AC-25 Auto Trans 25 spline

Everything else

82AC Carby 2WD 265mm shaft, no cooling fins on inner DOJ

87AC injected 2WD and carby 4wd 257mm shaft, cooling fins on inner DOJ

95AC-23 4WD injected 242mm shaft, cooling fins on inner DOJ

82AC one ring on axle shaft

87AC two rings

95AC-23 Three rings

Don't know why carb or injected makes a difference, 4wd makes sense, but the opposite of what you'd think, they are shorter.

I'll try to get a scan or a picture up of the page in the FSM soon

• 2 weeks later...

Success!

I finally got those mystical axle boots in and they fit :banana:

so In Conclusion:

-For all EA81 and EA82 axles that have joints no larger than about 3 inches in diameter use part number 85-0911 (outer joint) and 85-0999 (inner joint)

This should be all standard 4wd axles

-If you stumble upon axles with joints larger than 3 inches in diameter use part number 85-1424 (inner joint) and 85-1367 (outer joint)

This could be fwd rx axles or something else, either way they are unmistakably larger.

Somthing to note, these part numbers are for Carquest supplied Carquest brand boot kits. The kits come with good quality boots, metal bands, and grease packs. All should be under ten bucks.

So if your redoing axles and you have a carquest nearby use these part numbers, and if your unsure just take a cv or doj joint in with you to test fit.

Hope this has been helpful

-Andy

Excellent information Fenix.

Question for you, I recently rebooted the cv's on my xt6 and it was the first time ive messed with servicing them instead of replacing. I could'nt figure out how to remove the cv , and checking my fsm it stated they wernt removable.

Is this correct? If so how do they assemble them to the axles?

Again, thanks for the info, I purchased mine from carquest also and they supplied empi kits.

As far as in know they should be removable. If its like any other subaru axle it should have an internal circlip that keeps the joint from coming apart. It requires a brass punch and some force but it should come off.

Ive always been more of a visual learner so i like youtube, here is a good video of what to do

even though its an atv axle its the same concept. The removal process comes in around 3min.

I use a brass punch that i notched out a bit so it sits against the axle shaft better, hitting as close the the shaft as you can (on the inner race) will make the cv come off easier.

-Andy