Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grabber AT2s Vs. Big Horn Vs. Swampers:

TheLoyale

Alright, so I am planing on getting better tires on for my 14" pugs. I am look at either Grabbers or Big Horns. Which tire is larger? From what I can see in pictures of the Big horns, they look pretty skinny and not to tall - is this right? I know they are lised at 27x8.5 but the Grabbers look bigger.

I'm looking for some good pictures of both tires on a Subaru. So post it up please.

Tire specs I could find:

Grabbers - 26.8" 8.5 Wide.

Big Horns - 26.4" 8.5 Wide.

I'd like to see them on a Subaru to get better judgement.

Cheers,

-Tom

Edited by TheLoyale

Get Swampers - you won't regret it. Anything less you will regret later when they don't perform like a Swamper..... been there. :)

And frankly the Swampers are relatively cheap for what you get. They are unstoppable on a Subaru.

Tire *size* is a total crapshoot. My 215/75R15 Chinese mud tires are *supposed* to be 28". They are smaller in diameter than my 27x9.5 Swampers :confused:.

So really..... you have to actually measure the tire's in real life. This has been shown several times by prominent members here. The sizing is only a guess and could be up to a few inches off. :rolleyes:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Alright, I looked up the Swampers at Intercotires.com - they rate the tire at 27.4" OD, do you think thats close to correct?

Do you have a set of these on anything you can snap a picture of? Cause remember, I'm dealing with a 2" lift and trimmed fenders, I still have some room for rubber, but how much is unknown.

Man Tom, you must be rich. I thought you had a nice set of tires on your Loyale? I'd worry about that bad axle boot first.:grin:

The axle boot is long taken care of, Legacy DOJ boot fits just fine on an EA axle! :)

I'm running on 205/75/R14 BFGoodrich Long Trail T/As which are a good tire, but I want something more aggressive.

I have found a picture of "The Scoobys" Wagon with 27x9.5 14s. Does anyone know how much lift he has on it? I will PM him, but incase I don't get a reply does anyone else know. people who have wheeled with him or whatnot.

DSC_0666.jpg

Cause as you can see the BFG Long Trail T/As aren't the most aggressive tire Lol. But its done its job ever since - so I can't complain.

2010_0803Test0012.jpg

2010_0803Test0007.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

Then your automatic would really be gutless Tom. Awesome look though!

Not much more so, The AT isn't really gutless right now anyway. It still has about the same get up and go as it did with the 13s. but I have more topend on the interstate now due to the larger diameter.

I'd like to see them on a Subaru to get better judgement.

Cheers,

-Tom

i like them they arnt too noisy or square feeling on pavement good in the mud and gravel pits too 4" sjr lift trimmed fenders 235/75R15 maxxis big horns

nice.jpg

Edited by True2Blue

I had Grabber AT2s (215/65/16) on my 07 Forester, and they always performed admirably in gravel, dirt, snow, rain, and tarmac. I greatly preferred them to the OEM Yokohama Geolanders in every condition. I even ran those tires as dedicated snows when I traded in the 07 X for an 08 FSXT. They're studdable, too, which is a nice feature. They're knockoffs of the BFG AT, but they perform very well, considering they're 1/2 the price of the BFGs.

If your GL is your daily-driver, I'd go for an AT tire, rather than an MT. I believe AT tires generally perform better in rain, snow, and ice, if that matters.

A lot of the Forester guys like the Yokohama Geolander AT-S, which is a significant upgrade over the stock Yokos, and they make a 27" tire.

Yeah my car is a Daily driver, plus interstate driving andwhat not, I might go with the Grabbers just for interstate handling sake. Dunno we'll see. Just trying to get an idea :)

Thanks all!

I had Grabber AT2s (215/65/16) on my 07 Forester, and they always performed admirably in gravel, dirt, snow, rain, and tarmac. I greatly preferred them to the OEM Yokohama Geolanders in every condition. I even ran those tires as dedicated snows when I traded in the 07 X for an 08 FSXT. They're studdable, too, which is a nice feature. They're knockoffs of the BFG AT, but they perform very well, considering they're 1/2 the price of the BFGs.

If your GL is your daily-driver, I'd go for an AT tire, rather than an MT. I believe AT tires generally perform better in rain, snow, and ice, if that matters.

A lot of the Forester guys like the Yokohama Geolander AT-S, which is a significant upgrade over the stock Yokos, and they make a 27" tire.

Yeah my car is a Daily driver, plus interstate driving andwhat not, I might go with the Grabbers just for interstate handling sake. Dunno we'll see. Just trying to get an idea :)

Thanks all!

You'll hate them in the mud.

Go with the bighorns. Great in snow and mud, and they wear pretty well, and are reasonably quite for a Mud Tire.

Sounds like you've had enough opinions Tom, but tough, here's mine.......

Your car is a daily driver, so the grabbers will be best. They may not look as cool, but in newer condition, they'll perform off road. Everyone is just going to recommend whatever they're using, but the fact of the matter is:

1) Your car is a peach

2) So you won't be wheelin it in anything that requires MT's

3) MT's will be inferior on road EVERY DAY.

Let's all see how they do in a few weeks in some serious slop:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116037

:grin: