Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reocurring film on my interior windows

OK so i live in the NW and I totally understand how foggy the interior windows get in the winter, but it happened even more last summer than this winter that there would be a cloudy film on inside windows like some one was smokin heavily with the windows up. I clean them regularly but this still is a reoccurring annoying problem. Is there anything to help prevent this foggy buildup or anyone with this same problem have any ideas or suggestions.

I've used some pretty strong solvents on the interior glass before. Wearing a respirator of course. There is a anti fog 'RainX' product that work only if you DON'T drive at night!:lol: That stuff will piss you off.

I would say after normal cleaning, put on a respirator, using a clean white rag, with the doors open and in a windy location, scrub the windows again with lacquer thinner or toluene, carb cleaner will work too but just spray it on the rag only and out side of the car. Acetone I think is a waste and denatured alcohol is not hot enough. Watch your rag. Wear a respirator and dont get any solvent on anything but the glass.

Some new cars you want to be for-warned, there is a coating on the glass that will be ruined and will give you terrible visibility if you use solvents. Older cars its usually removed or was never there. I suppose you should find a test spot.

I do that about once a year in the summer. Its amazing what you can come up with on your rag in the pnw. Or any city really....:-\

Its not the glass thats the problem.

Sounds to me like you either have a mold issue in your car, or the plastics/vinyl parts are off-gassing.

Is the windshield any worse than the rest? If so, it is the plastics/vinyl.

pretty common problem for vehicles in general that live outside in the sun. Plastics and such start to break down, and off gas.

Easiest fix is to clean the hell out of the interior, give it a plastic treatment/regen, and consider a dash mat.

If you have a a/c model car you could have standing water in the watchacallit air cooler box thingy, the drains can clog or, or course, just a leaky window allowing condensation in. Getting rid of that leak or trapped moisture would be my first step.

The common causes of window residue are smoking (you wouldn't be asking us, as you would probably already know), plastics out-gassing (already discussed), antifreeze (though you will have a more obvious condensation issue than residue), and oily fumes from the engine compartment.

Thanks for all the reply's. The rear window is the worst but ill try some stronger cleaner. My coupe is an 83 so im not worried about ruining any new vehicle window stuff,Ive just never had this silly problem with any of my other subys just thought i'd throw it out there and see if I could get some tips. :) Oh and im not burning oil or anything but I do smell exaust inside the car when its not moving, mabey thats it idk, which of course all old subs have that distinct smell of exaust and 20 something old subaru u know like an old vw but better cus its a subaru!

Edited by subinewby

Thanks for all the reply's. The rear window is the worst but ill try some stronger cleaner. My coupe is an 83 so im not worried about ruining any new vehicle window stuff,Ive just never had this silly problem with any of my other subys just thought i'd throw it out there and see if I could get some tips. :) Oh and im not burning oil or anything but I do smell exaust inside the car when its not moving, mabey thats it idk, which of course all old subs have that distinct smell of exaust and 20 something old subaru u know like an old vw but better cus its a subaru!

The smell isn't any better really, its just you are more confident in the subaru's ability to not break... :lol:

Sometimes the fixed rear windows leak behind the molded plastic interior panels and don't show up very quickly. I might consider seeing if the cloth sound matting underneath is wet and holding water. (and fix your exhaust leaks:rolleyes:)

What no one noticed armor all does this? Are you using armor all? It fogs glass nicely as it cooks off over time.

Also where do you park? I used to work on planes and the jet fuel exhaust residue would coat my glass inside and out nicely. Made pretty rainbows under the wiper smudges, but also got into the interior.

Does your car lock properly? Just curious because when we were younger, we'd sneak into our neighbors car (because he used to leave it open) and hot box it. I am sure that he'd wonder where the smell and the window residue came from.

On a more helpful note...the interior rain-x stuff does sort of work but not if you have a heavy leak in the cab.