Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All hail the Subaru!!! Best snow vehicle EVER!!!

Well, we got our usual Seattle snow that has shut everything down causing people to abandon there vehicles everywhere. Yes, 3" of snow shuts everything down! I grew up in Montana driving in this stuff so I love to watch the mayhem and whip around having fun. I had to go shopping for T-Day last night so as usual I took the Brat. Something about the weight/power ratio and traction makes it stick to damn near anything. I was passing people stuck everywhere including guys in trucks a SUV's. We all love our Subies and this is one of the reasons. :banana: I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I never did see a stuck .....pre 2004? subaru. A couple of the new ones couldn't do crap to get unstuck, but that might just be the drivers and their confidence in their car. I did see a stock hatch (rare here) cruise past a ton of stuck vehicles with a couple of babes in it. That made my day. I live on a relatively icy road close to one of the highest hills in here rat city and I have had no problem getting around, or having fun!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

(Yes..... that was me doing doughnuts then helping people......)

Edited by Yo'J

It wasnt the snow that messed everything up, it was the ice underneath it.

I drove Mykeys wife home from my place last night. She didnt want to chance the hill down to South Prairie in her Neon. And it was very icy.

Then my SO needed help getting home from Olympia. She has a Mitsubishi Galant with summer tires. She made it to PIA and I picked her up there. I drove my Brat with Hankook iPikes mounted (FTW!) and I had to stomp the go pedal to try and break the tires loose.

It took me 45min to get down the hill to Sumner :-\ Elhi Hill was locked up with spinouts and I had to detour back to South Prairie and then thru Orting and finally to hiway 410. Thats when the fun started, (for me, but not so for others). Cars were stuck every where, in the median and on the shoulder.

The ones that were doing 10mph I just buzzed past, the others (trucks, SUV's) that were doing 30+ I followed at a safe distance.

Hiway 512 in South Hill Puyallup was a real mess, cars all over the place. It was like running a Snow Slalom.

I arrived at PIA right after my SO did, awesome timing :banana:

Had to make some detours getting back home, the hill up into Bonny Lk was still a parking lot. I actually took the worse hill you could pick to get to my place. I didnt want to at first, but I had no choice, they had all the others shut down or blocked and I wasnt about to go back thru Orting (1hr drive).

Unfortunately I had 3 cars in front of me and once we hit the bad part, the fool in front lost traction (FWD) because he had no momentum. Luckily, there was a side road that I was able to shoot around and get past.

I was very impressed with the Brat and the Hankooks on it.

I never did see a stuck .....pre 2004? subaru. A couple of the new ones couldn't do crap to get unstuck' date=' but that might just be the drivers and their confidence in their car. I did see a stock hatch (rare here) cruise past a ton of stuck vehicles with a couple of babes in it. That made my day. I live on a relatively icy road close to one of the highest hills in here rat city and I have had no problem getting around, or having fun!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

(Yes..... that was me doing doughnuts then helping people......)[/quote']

true that. My old 2006 outback was the WORST vehicle i ever had for driving in snow, couldnt even maintain 10 less than posted speeds if the road got icy. theres a thread on "ghostwalk" its a term for the sidestepping of the rear due to poor design engineering. I have had MANY MANY MANY subarus before that 2006 and they all were snowmolbiles. That 2006 was dangerous on ice.

I would agree, pre 2004 is the way to go, anything after 2005 is a joke as for the Legacy lineup.

I put on some Blizzak WS60s onto the SO's '09 Hyundai Sonata Limited last night. That car is fantastic in this stupid crap. Enough weight over the front end to keep great traction (3.3 v6) and heavy enough in the rear to prevent it from washing out behind us.

I dearly miss my XT6 but it needs too much work before I want to drive it again:rolleyes:

I agree. Too many people have zero clue how or what to drive in this weather and should STAY THE HELL HOME! Driving in the snow and ice requires correct FORWARD momentum. You don't drive slow around a banked corner covered in ice. You WILL slide down sideways and get stuck. You also don't come creeping up a hill from the bottom at 5-10mph. You're NOT GOING TO MAKE IT!!! You will then proceed to try to back down and do it again at which point during one of the attempts, you're going to slide, pinball, and most likely wreck causing more idiots to slow down, freak out and repeat your artistic parking job. If you start to slide on a corner or fish tail, let off the gas and make small corrections. DO NOT: Jam on the brakes and yank the steering wheel! That is as smart and effective as giving yourself a root canal. In fact, you should use your brakes as little as possible on snow and ice. Downshift (even you autos) or put it in neutral and cost down with minimal braking. If (God forbid) you own a rear wheel drive, ALWAYS put in neutral when coming to a stop on compact snow and ice. It will stop your engine from overpowering the 60/40 split to the rear brakes and keeping the rear wheels moving while the front wheels lock up, slide, point you in the direction of the nearest immovable object and strike said object with no regards to your intentions.

Thus concludes winter driving 101. Next time we'll look at how to drive home with a cell phone lodged in your rectum....

Haha yeah glad im not in seattle...

Last night driving home from work was pretty epic. First time I had my subaru in 3-4 inches of snow... Peopled were freaking out everywhere..

My subaru doesn't even have my snow tires on yet... and I was steady mobbin through the snow and ice like it was nothing!!

Kinda reminds me of driving a forklift...

And Im thinkin I need to go build me some custom bumpers for the front and back just in case some idiot decides to slide into the back of my car. Watched some guy almost get taken out by a lifed chevy... locked his brakes up at the stop sign and almost slid right into the front of it. Haha there had to have been only about half a foot between the guys front bumper and the truck...

Yeah and safe journeys guys...

These Subies do give us a bit of an "S" on our chest... so there I was... speeding... yes.. (I admit it) and came up to a main bridge that passes over the Columbia river, snow and ice on road (yet to put on my studded tires) and in 4-High, I did a 360 infront of everyone... didn't hit a car or wall but I knew what the other drivers where thinking.... I put my tail between my legs and cautiously went home and put my studs on...

Now..... hahahahahah... the "S" is back on my chest and loving the roo.

But.... I am being more responsible and driving safely... highly recommended.

But yes... these little rigs so outperform what is out there even before the studded tires etc...

enjoy the snow!

I'm going to repeat a post that I made when I first joined up here. It is so appropriate for this thread.:) ....................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, turbone. I lived up a crazy steep half mile driveway so I bought one. New Years eve around 1983 it was snowing hard and there was about 2 feet on the ground. I had another couple in the back of the hatch and I needed something from the "house on the hill". The other couple couldn't believe I was going to go up that driveway. When I say crazy steep you can believe it. Many people wouldn't come up that drive in the summer! The front of the hatch was actually plowing snow up to the grill. I dropped it into low range and never spun a wheel all the way up. 2 days later that couple went out and bought a new Subie.

Thus concludes winter driving 101. Next time we'll look at how to drive home with a cell phone lodged in your rectum....

You do live around Seattle!:lol:

I saw some girl, very cute, young, with the e-brake on (rear wheels not moving) and a rear flat, driving down my street (inch of compressed snow and ice solid), on the phone. So I'm helping my neighbors put on chains after they almost hit two cars and as she goes slowly by I tap on her window. She has no problem stopping, and stops, rolls down her window and I say "Do you know you are sliding because the e-brake only works the rear wheels in your car? ". She is still on the phone when she replied back, "Oh", she was white knuckling the e-brake. "And your rear tire is flat" I said as I noticed how bald her tire were. I don't remember what I said after that but it was a short and sweet farewell, she said "thanks". WHERE WAS THE HAND FOR THE STEERING WHEEL?!!

Man im so jealous. Im down in Vancouver,Wa and we got like a trace of snow. I,ve been soo anxious to get my coupe out there and have some fun,but nothin but alittle bit of patchy ice so far. Dang its so awesome to here everyone's stories of subys outdoin other vehicles. Hopefully we'll get somethin to play around in this winter.

Edited by subinewby