Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was driving in the snow last week and hit a curb on the left rear. Now my wheel on the left is pushed in and the right rear is pushed out? So more or less my back left has positive camber and my back right wheel has negative camber. I was told by a local subie shop my frame is bent/ ihit the curb 20-35.mph any info or advice is much needed! car is a 1994 legacy L 4WD wagon

im thinking the hub or the rear crosmember is bent i live in vancouver WA no vibration or alignment problems? where is there a subie shop besides the dealer around here? dont want to tear up my tires does this sound plausible? the spindle looks pretty solid but who knows it may be bent? anyone else out there donkin curbs chime in dude!

Frames, in general, on subarus will never bend based on curb hits. The engineers built the front lower control arms to bend first, which they do. The rear lower lateral links are designed to bend to save the frame. Depending on your year, you bent something, NOT the frame. Possible the rear lateral links, possible the strut piston, but I HIGHLY DOUBT betting money, you did not bend the frame.

compare your suspension parts to one you see in a dealer lot, take note of what you have looking bent, and go replace the bent items, then get an alignment.

brent

related note, A guy over on Nasioc in a 2011 Sti was doing donuts in a snow covered lot (on summer tires) and hit some curbstops and bent stuff all out of wack. I gave him crap cause he can afford a brand new 2011 car, but he couldnt afford snow tires. I told him to sell the car, get a 2008 that he can also afford to buy snow tires and not *************** about wrecking on summer tires...

Edited by Qman

im thinking the hub or the rear crosmember is bent i live in vancouver WA no vibration or alignment problems? where is there a subie shop besides the dealer around here? dont want to tear up my tires does this sound plausible? the spindle looks pretty solid but who knows it may be bent? anyone else out there donkin curbs chime in dude!

The link that's in Turbone's post above is for a shop in Portland.

if my subframe shifted did the bolts that hold the subframe to the car bend or what? the lateral links look ok? also the laeral links on my car are really stout bars have u guys ever personally seen a bent one?

i have shifted a subframe about 1/2 inch before, thats why i suggested it, it resulted in camber specs as you descibe. i went the the wreckers, got new bolts, pulled it back, and had it aligned.done

Frames, in general, on subarus will never bend based on curb hits. The engineers built the front lower control arms to bend first, which they do. The rear lower lateral links are designed to bend to save the frame. Depending on your year, you bent something, NOT the frame. Possible the rear lateral links, possible the strut piston, but I HIGHLY DOUBT betting money, you did not bend the frame.

compare your suspension parts to one you see in a dealer lot, take note of what you have looking bent, and go replace the bent items, then get an alignment.

brent

related note, A guy over on Nasioc in a 2011 Sti was doing donuts in a snow covered lot (on summer tires) and hit some curbstops and bent stuff all out of wack. I gave him crap cause he can afford a brand new 2011 car, but he couldnt afford snow tires. I told him to sell the car, get a 2008 that he can also afford to buy snow tires and not *************** about wrecking on summer tires...

That was a wongleflute move that was better left at NASIOC. Don't pull that here!

Not sure if centre frame pull is your ultimate cure or what but!

Press new bearing into affected spindles and replace all impacted hubs.

I know because I have curbed before.

It is possible that on your strut that a little dremel persuasion on the bolt holes will cure the hit and get the wheel upright again. But the hub will still be bent!

If the bearings are damaged they might shift and Pop.

However if the hubs are warped your brakes won't last long at all!

Remember to replace after everything the bearings and the hubs!

so i jumped the gun and got the subframe in and the wheels still sit funny? and one side is higher than the other WTF? i remembered that when i hit the curb the rim was bent and i replaced with new and the thumping went away. the latteral links on the left were also replaced the only thing i havent replaced is the knuckle and the strut:mad:

in my post #5, i wrote

"Frames, in general, on subarus will never bend based on curb hits. The engineers built the front lower control arms to bend first, which they do. The rear lower lateral links are designed to bend to save the frame. Depending on your year, you bent something, NOT the frame. Possible the rear lateral links, possible the strut piston, but I HIGHLY DOUBT betting money, you did not bend the frame.

"

yes

can you possibly put the car on jackstands, and take pictures of both suspesion sides, or even crawl under a non jacked up car and take pics. It will help unless you have a local person willing to give you advice. I want to see the metal bars and such to check.

Edited by bheinen74

im retarded with computers i dont know how to upload or waht not pictures? but if im looking at the suspension i cant see ************ wrong if somthing is bent its very slight? has anyone ever herd of a rear subframe bending before seems like that woulb bend before a strut. im thinkin strut latteral links spindle sub frame. replace all of these things it should straighten out. maybe an axle too? without pics im probly wasting ur guys time.

you mentioned "hitting the bottom of the wheel bending strut?) etc. the answer is yes. why? lever action. think about it, if you hit a strut with the force of say.......a subaru doing 10+ mph youd bend it. my experience with bent stuff/body shops has taught me that bent stuff looks right until straight stuff is presented.

RV