Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought it!!! I bought it!!! I bought it!!!

Thanks for the little bit of help everybody.

After much discussion my wife and I decided that even if the engine needed to be rebuilt this car would be worth the work because it practically looks brand new inside and out.

I wasn't even worried about a compression test because it runs great. The tach shows 1500 while idling at 800 and bounces around while driving...the speedometer pegs at 85 while driving about 30-35 mph.

I'm not yet sure if the speedometer showing almost 3 times faster than your actual speed makes the odometer turn faster...if they are connected in that way it may have much lower mileage than what it shows.

Beyond that and a few minor leaks to chase in the spring and one last year of emissions testing and brakes with 50% left on them this car does not need much work. .

It is dark already, so if I can't find a well lit parking lot tonight I will post up some pictures first thing in the morning

Edited by BrianAbington

sorry guys...this was kind of a continuation of a post from yesterday. I guess I should of explained more but I failed to do so.

It is an 86 GL hatch back with 163K on it. Body and interior are nearly perfect and engine runs great. I looked in the owners manual to find a lengthy list of oil changes and other routine maintenance.

DSC01228.jpg

DSC01229.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

Edited by BrianAbington

It has the EA81... I did some google research on the car before buying and I found a website that had specs for these cars...all the dimensions and units of measure for fluids...etc... it said EA71 on it so that is what I assumed it had in it.

The car runs great at this time...however if it needs a new carb a Weber is definatly going on.

It may sound weird but the only car I've ever owned that has looked new inside and out when purchased is my wifes '06 Kia Spectra. It was only a year old when we bought it. So I would really like to kind of do a restoration on this car and I'm not sure if I want to have a transmission swap included in that process.

If gear #5 dramatically drops RPM's at highway speeds I am open to considering it.

Edited by BrianAbington

The car runs great at this time...however if it needs a new carb a Weber is definatly going on.

It's not about how it runs - the Weber is better performing and will make the car actually able to merge and pass on the freeway. Not to mention it's less complex, possible to tune, etc. It changes the entire character of the car - people have likened it to the change going from an EA engine to an EJ engine. It doesn't increase peak HP by anything significant, but it does improve throttle response, driveability, and low-end torque.

It may sound weird but the only car I've ever owned that has looked new inside and out when purchased is my wifes '06 Kia Spectra. It was only a year old when we bought it. So I would really like to kind of do a restoration on this car and I'm not sure if I want to have a transmission swap included in that process.

It can be done but it's a long hard road - the parts are just not out there anymore. And there are some things are are better upgraded than restored - the Weber, the 5 speed, the seats, radio, rear window latches, etc.

If gear #5 dramatically drops RPM's at highway speeds I am open to considering it.

No it does not - and in any case that would not help your mileage.

The 5 speed spreads the middle gears out. 1st on both is the same as is 4/5 - both are overdrive. The 5 speed is built better, has a vastly superior linkage system, does not suffer from 3rd gear syncro issues, and allows you to accelerate easier and maintain 25 MPH in a decent gear (3rd). The 4 speed is either lugging or at like 3k at 25 MPH - very annoying. Plus the 5 speed bolts right in with Jerry's kit and looks 100% stock inside. You don't even have to change the knob if you don't want. There will just magically be a 5th gear above reverse :).

GD

Both of the Subarus I drive have Webers... On the 84 DL, theres a Weber and an EA81 engine (rodknocking EA71 previously) and the 86 GL has one too (ea82 engine though)

On the EA81, even with the carb having a jetting issue, its NO issue to get it on the freeway, 0-60 in faster than you would think for a 26 year old car. I even keep up with the people on I205 and I5 that want to go 75-80, and thats not flooring it because if you do, itll bog the carb.

The Weber is a MUST for your car, its like 100-150 if you find a good deal... You wont be disappointed.

Sounds like a weber would be a good idea for overall efficiency. That may be a spring/summer project for me.

Do the Weber's need to be adjusted between winter and summer driving? or are they set it and forget?

I filled up last night and I look forward to seeing what sort of mileage I am getting.

I had the oil, transmission gear oil, and differential gear oil changed today and the shop said it has some carbon buildup on the trottle plate and inside the manifold.

This may be the first car I run some sea foam through :banana:

Looking through the manual the exhaust was replaced when the car was about 10 yrs old and again in 2006...and thats after a several year gap in the records so it may have been done another time or two over that 10 years.

Factory replacement exhausts makes no sense to me because it just rusts out again and you can put together a nice setup for less than factory replacement. I may go for a more efficient design when I get a new carb.

My wife is not working while in grad school so unless I get an amazing price on a 5 speed that will have to wait a while.

Thought I might tell a bit more of the story behind this purchase

As my wife started her new semester of grad school we decided we needed a new car. We sold our F-150 we used to make the move across the country to Washington State, because we needed something that averaged more than 16 MPG hwy.

We started looking weeks ago and nothing seemed like a good fit.

Saturday night we drove through the parking lot at Union Gospel Mission Motors.

(as an aside: UGM is a local homeless shelter that also owns a used car lot. The profits from the car sales support the shelter.)

In the lot we saw this Subaru. It had just been donated so they had no idea if it needed any work and had no idea of what the price would be.

I called first thing monday morning and told the manager we wanted to know what it needed and wanted to come buy it that day.

He said they had a ton of vehicles donated just before the end of the year for tax time and there were actually 90 cars ahead of the Subaru. He talked to the shop and they jumped it to the front.

We went back that night and when I walked in there was a customer talking to the sales mgr about a vehicle that died while doing the test drive, needed a new ignition, needed tons of other work and the 4x4 didn't work.

My heart dropped because I thought they were talking about the Subaru. I was so relived to find that the customer was asking about an F150 that had been donated.

I took the car for a drive and as soon as I left the lot I knew it would be ours.

It runs great, shifts great and looks brand new inside and out.

Last night, I was talked to by a Loyale wagon owner, a gas station atendant, and the guy at the shop said everybody there was checking it out because its rare that they ever get an old Subaru this nice that come through.

I would occasionally get people talking to me about my '69 continental 2door, however I feel that I am entering a new sort of brother hood.

I feel so blessed by this car.

Did you bring enough to share with the rest of the class??? :-p

VERY, VERY, Nice looking Hatch!!!!!! ... I love my 84 Hatch... it is stock carb and 4 speed and we have bonded well and nothing wrong with just loving the roo in its natural state. Perhaps mods after your wife is out of school. I would have driven up from here to look at that one.. you got a find with that.

Great to hear your story and thanks for the pics.. I love that color.

Snow is coming tonight and you will get to play a bit!

Enjoy the ride.

Edited by Indrid cold

That is a very cool story about how you came across that nice looking hatch. It's one of those stories where it seems like the car found the driver rather than the other way around. Kinda reminds me of the way my blue Loyale came into my life, not quite exactly but similar. Anyhow, congrats on your nice find and, yes, you have entered a new "brotherhood" of sorts. Keep that thing on the road its a nice one!:cool:

Cool deal Brian. Looks like you scored a clean one.

I picked up a super clean '84 GL a few months ago from a guy just west of Spokane.

We should get these two rides together in the spring for some photos :cool:

http://www.bonnefinstudios.com/kwb/automotive/RU10.jpg

Steptoe Butte maybe? :headbang:

As long as I can borrow your rust free wheels for a few pictures :)

Ok, here are some more pictures.

Engine bay needs a good cleaning.

DSC01231.jpg

The interior is in great shape. It could all use a good cleaning.

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01233.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

Door Panels look great but the carpeted parts needed to be cleaned.

DSC01236.jpg

The Drivers side seat bolster...will be redone...or if you have a seat back thats the same color in perfect condition from a car your parting out please let me know.

DSC01239.jpg

Noah Likes it!

DSC01238.jpg

Edited by BrianAbington

looks great!

And answers a few questions I had about mine.

The interior is identical to mine, but without all the factory and dealer gizmos.

Looks like the electric mirrors Ive got are dealer items too. :) I had assumed they were standard.

http://www.bonnefinstudios.com/kwb/automotive/RU09.jpg

You do have the silly distributor cover. Somewhat of a rare item, from what I hear.

That looks like it will be a fun and easy one to clean up!