Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Highly recommend the GR-2 struts. I have put them on several cars. Love the performance for the price, and highly recommend them. I haven't bought them for a while, so don't know current prices. Suggest you check out prices at several on line parts houses to see if $158 is competitive.

Since you're local try "Franks auto Supermarket", a small place (like 5-6 locations called A&G auto parts) as well as Advance and Autozone.

I usually get Monroe's. Franks often has the mount kits for almost half the price of the other guys. Sometimes on suspension and exhaust they have terrific pricing. Just not always worth a trip tp Indiana or Greensburg for me.

A&G is my local (and favorite) parts store. One in Kittanning, near Indiana, I deal with Apollo.

I put KYB's on some VWs but usually Monroe's are just fine for me.

When possible I prefer to deal with a local place. That way if there would be a problem I can go and speak english and get the problem resolved quickly.

Edited by davebugs
spelling

I replaced all 4 springs and struts over the summer. There is no complete replacement so you'll need a spring compressor. THIS IS DANGEROUS. If you haven't done this before then PLEASE get a professional. People have been killed compressing springs and putting in struts.

KYB makes the best struts. Your springs are probably spent and need replacing as well. Do it all and your car (and stomach) will thank you.

Mostly people that get hurt are hurt because they compress the damn springs too much and then the compressing tools slip off or fail. I remove strut tops fairly often without compressing the spring first at all. With the strut assembly removed from the car there is very little compression taking place. They usually "pop" about 2" or less. It's kind of a let-down how little they do when you just zip the nut off with an impact :drunk:.

Disclaimer: No one should actually do this. ;)

GD

Dave, no A&G nearby or even a short drive. I'm not anywhere near the Kiski Valley. Already checked AZ, showed Monroe and they're much higher than the KYBs from Rock including shipping.

And I know that one needs a compressor. I have one and am aware of the dangers, thanks. I am going to consider replacing the rear springs because that end of the car is riding the worst.

I'm going to take my time and search prices around. I cannot install them now because I'm recovering from heart surgery and am a few weeks away from being able to do this kind of work again. The weather is not helping, also.

Well Fred I took your advise and ordered 4 . The price was $260 . This included 11.55 shipping, 8.90 handl and est Tax(?) 12.42. still cheaper than local.

Cool... I hope you saved a few bucks. The OP could save $30 but apparently he didn't read our posts.

Edited by SubaruFred

SubeFred. Yeh. Around here,carquest fi quoted 119 -90 ea for them. Advance's Monroes are in the 70's. A fellow on ebay has sets of Gabriel for cheap. Right after I ordered some NIB turned up on CL but they were still 50ea and unknown manuf.-edit I looked back at the ad. One pic has the box turned to display the # 334111 This is the KYB # for the R Front . So this pair of new ones is the best yet. Appeared only after I sent my order. Gaithersburg Md. Post ID # 2164039978

Edited by Fuzpile

Not to bore anyone but the new struts should correct a few things. The car is great and nimble but there seems to be little dampening at the rear. The gas must still be up?. The front is solid with dampening yet sits low like the gas is gone. The new struts are for '97 Leg and OB Lim.

Edited by Fuzpile

I actually ordered a set of Gabriels from ebay (techdeals1) and after a week I emailed him to ask why they hadn't shipped yet. He replied that 1 of the struts was leaking oil so he had ordered a replacement from Gabriel and was waiting for it to arrive. Luckily he let me cancel the order. A NIB strut that obviously leaked all it's gas and was now leaking oil removed what little confidence I had in Gabriel's quality. IIRC Gabriel made decent struts and shocks 20 years ago but like many domestic manufacturers, times have changed and not for the better. It sucks because I really want to buy domestic products but often I can't justify it because their quality isn't comparable or the price for comparable quality is way too high.

Pretty much 101% of us recommend kyb gr-2

Why someone would order Gabriel, or monroe, i have no clue on that thought process.

A lot of places mentioned with links, have free shipping on gr-2.

There is a big price difference among the distributors posted.

check them all out.

I have used AJUSA numerous times on different peoples cars, their price is the lowest out there, and the free shipping seals the deal.

Pretty much 101% of us recommend kyb gr-2

Why someone would order Gabriel, or monroe, i have no clue on that thought process.

A lot of places mentioned with links, have free shipping on gr-2.

There is a big price difference among the distributors posted.

check them all out.

I have used AJUSA numerous times on different peoples cars, their price is the lowest out there, and the free shipping seals the deal.

FWIW, my thought process was simple. New Gabriel struts for $210 vs new KYBs for $300 (best price found at time) to replace failing air struts on a beater 2nd car. Even if Gabriel weren't the best, surely they'd be better than air struts with 170K miles or junkyard KYBs with 120K miles.

I wasted a lot of time searching the WWW for strut/shock reviews and found the usual. 90% of Gabriel users recommended them and would buy again, 90% of KYB users said Gabriel was junk. 99% of KYB users had never owned a Gabriel product before and said they never would. Monroe was generally viewed as being somewhere in between.

If you want truly great struts/shocks get Bilstein, Koni or Boge (good luck finding them for your Suby). KYB GR2's are (at best) a little better than Monroe and Gabriel. My KYBs are very stiff and ride like crap compared to the worn-out air struts but I expected that so it's okay. Single-rate coil springs are going to ride rougher than truly progressive air bags.

Edited by SubaruFred

My KYBs are very stiff and ride like crap compared to the worn-out air struts but I expected that so it's okay.

i removed GR2s from my GT because of the ride. i felt like i was driving a truck. i probably would not have done it if i had not wanted to put on outback struts (used). i don't know what i'll buy when these go.

Cool... I hope you saved a few bucks. The OP could save $30 but apparently he didn't read our posts.

If you read my post completely, I haven't bought anything yet, so I can still save however much. I'm physically unable to do the repair at this time so I'm on a fact finding mission before I buy, entire point of my thread.

Never knew of AJUSA. I will be buying from them soon. I work at autozone, I refuse to pay the 80-100 dollars per front strut we charge. And its always changing. Ive seen our price as low as 75 and as high as 99. Plus we dont normally stock em so I cant even get my discount.

i removed GR2s from my GT because of the ride. i felt like i was driving a truck. i probably would not have done it if i had not wanted to put on outback struts (used). i don't know what i'll buy when these go.

Yeah, the GR2s are pretty stiff riding. I may have exagerated when I said they ride like crap, noticeably stiffer than oem might have been more accurate. I can live with them, they're just a lot harsher than the air suspension.

If you read my post completely, I haven't bought anything yet, so I can still save however much. I'm physically unable to do the repair at this time so I'm on a fact finding mission before I buy, entire point of my thread.

My bad. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

You are all gents. I had seen this place on ebay where it's an auction but basically U get 4 struts for $188 "delivered" They are Gabriel. Or was it Gabrial. For it would be perfect in a way to sell shocks to folks who don't know the name of the Archangel :-\ and they were crap. But this place isn't by evidence of positive reviews.

You are all gents. I had seen this place on ebay where it's an auction but basically U get 4 struts for $188 "delivered" They are Gabriel. Or was it Gabrial. For it would be perfect in a way to sell shocks to folks who don't know the name of the Archangel :-\ and they were crap. But this place isn't by evidence of positive reviews.

"Gabriel" is correct on both counts. I wish I could offer some substantive advice regarding the relative quality of gabriel struts and shocks but it seems to be a mixed bag. Based on my www research and personal experience I decided that KYB was worth a few dollars more. I found far more complaints about Monroe and gabriel products failing prematurely then KYB. This combined with one of my brand new Gabriel struts leaking gas and oil while still NIB, persuaded me to spend $25 more for a set of KYBs.

For all I know that leaking Gabriel stut may have been damaged in shipping or 1 in a million. Impossible for me to say but both KYB and Monroe have been chosen as OE by various car makers yet Gabriel has never been, AFAIK. Gabriel may well be the strut/shock equivalent of Pylon wiper blades.

Just got a pair of GR-2 rears for 88$ shipped for a 2002 OBW. The fronts on my 2002 (before 5/02) are always the more expensive ones, but total set is costing me ~265$ to my door so i can't complain about that. I'll do strut swap when lift goes in...

Replacing springs/coils, seems silly to me unless you replace them with aftermarkets that do something different (stiff raliteks or king spring lift springs, or even OEM h6/baja springs for h4 drivers). Springs should last the life of a car, unless the life of your car exceeds 250k miles, in my experience springs have a really long life span, struts not so much. I just rolled over 80k so i figured struts could use a swap.