Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Moonlighting Head Gasket Mechanic or...?

Preliminary Info: My 98 OBW Limited has it's SECOND blown head gasket. Religious oil changes, new tabs, new starter, new battery, new OEM Knock Sensor, and even a full tank of gas. 250K+ miles.

Decision Help:

1. Find a moonlighting local mechanic who can fix this for reasonable $. (suggest someone?) My official Subaru shop wants over $2500. Not going to happen since I'm currently unemployed.
  2. Find a slightly older Subuaru with a 2.2L for $2-3K? Sell 98 cheap or junk it.

I live in a condo so working on it myself (engine swap or DIY repair) is not an option.

BTW, I have to thank everyone here for the excellent info provided in helping diagnose the blown head gasket....cold air from heater vent, bubbles that smell like exhaust in the overflowing reservoir, overheating, etc. Very well documented here.

Any suggestions for what to do greatly appreciated.

With over 250k - the heads will need rebuilt. That's $450 to $500 just for machine work. There's another $200 in the timing belt/water pump kit and yet another $100 in OEM head gaskets, intake, and exhaust..... oil seperator plate if needed.....

And around $300 to $500 in labor.

It's likely about $1300 to $1500 through those of us that do *quality* work. I would reccomend AGAINST doing it because of the neccesary head rebuild and how much stress that's going to put on the high-mileage bottom end.

For about $1000 or so I can install a used '95 to '98 2.2 with a warrantee in place of the high mileage 2.5. Contact me if you are interested.

GD

I wouldn't dump the money in that motor that's lost headgaskets twice. Unless they were knowingly improperly installed the first time - like aftermarket gaskets and you didn't overheat the motor too much and the car is still good and you'd like to have it a few more years - then maybe it's worth it.

if you want to keep it, 2.2 swap it is the economical way to go. sell the EJ25 to recoupe some costs of the EJ22.

moonlighting mechanic is fine as long as they're good. headgasket needs to be done right and you don't want someone cutting corners on this job - or repeat failures happen. it's too expensive and labor intensive to do cut corners, so yes but be very sure they are competent and preferably experienced with subarus. i would trust this job to fewer people than brake work, timing belts, etc.

I agree with the above... there are few individuals that I feel are detail oriented enough plus have a true love for subaru to do headgaskets... There is a lot of issues to be dealt with and hoops to jump through. I like the hoops.

I would get a 2.2 and keep the old girl.

.is it possible to remove the t-stat and drive it down there?
i haven't seen that work on these engines. one person used one of those vented lever caps...maye leaving it open and drove it a couple hundred miles that way. he posted part numbers, etc, moneypit is his user name here.

I found the thread but didn't see a part number.

I'll swing by my local parts store and see what they have for a release top cap to fit that car. I'll drive it around locally to see how it goes first.

post back what you find i'll pick one up for my neighbor if it works. he's got overheating and swears it's not headgaskets but i'm doubtful. it's his first subaru, had to be an EJ25D unfortunately. he cant' really afford a repair of that magnitude at all.

The radiator cap helps a little. Seems to work best for short trips. I tried taking it on the highway for a few miles...temp shot way up...limped it home. This bandaid won't get me far.

By-passing my heater core helped me drive around when mine blew.

Less space for exhaust gasses to build up?

It also helped to drive at higher RPM's. EG: Shift down to 4th at highway speeds.

I might try removing the T-stat. If you can get some better flow out of the system it might help push those gasses out the cap.

I don't like the lever vent caps because a stock cap seems to let gas out and keep the coolant in better.

That's an awful long way to limp a car.

Good luck.

I bought a '97 Legacy with a blown HG (didn't know that at the time) and with the thermostat's guts removed (looked like they used a chisel - just left a disc to hold the gasket) it drove about 100 miles home (gauge was at about 1/4). Found the dirty secret when I went in to do the timing belt and then had to pull the heads off. With the thermostat in it acted just like a phase-I EJ25 where it would push the coolant into the reservoir and then the temp would spike....

Worth a try - especially if the plan is to just junk the motor and put in the 22. Not much harm in trying.

If it comes right down to it I do have the ability to bring it down but the cost in gas for the truck/trailer will far exceed the cost to drive the Outback.

Oh - and you have a reply to your PM. :)

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

interesting thanks for sharing. did you leave it "open" or what?

Yes, kept it open. I even shortened the lever by snipping off part of the red tab so it wouldn't touch the hood. I'm not certain how much of a difference this made.

I may try removing t-stat tomorrow. Heater bypass too if I can figure out some way to rig it. I agree, that's a long, long way to limp it.

Thanks for the PM, we'll talk tomorrow.

Update: I gutted the the old t-stat leaving basically the ring to hold the gasket. With the hollowed out t-stat and vent cap open I drove it on the freeway and around the city today. It never got hot and stayed pretty much at the normal, mid-point of the range with only minor fluctuations. On the freeway it ran even cooler. This bandaid may work for the short while until a donor engine shows up.