Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '95 Legacy wagon that is acting strangely. The turn signals, hazards, and parking light functions all work properly other than when I press the brake pedal, then the right/driver side turn signal stays on/stops flashing. The indication in the gauge cluster stays on as well, not sure about the rear tail light/signal as I was alone and couldn't see it. The car does have a 4 wire plug for a trailer that was not installed by me if that helps. What could be going on here?

Sounds like a short. The trailer plug could be the culprit. I have experience with trailer wiring on both ends and if care isn't taken on installing trailer wiring to head off corrosion, it happens and badly. That could easily be causing the issue you describe. That's where I'd start.

I have a '95 Legacy wagon that is acting strangely. The turn signals, hazards, and parking light functions all work properly other than when I press the brake pedal, then the right/driver side turn signal stays on/stops flashing. The indication in the gauge cluster stays on as well, not sure about the rear tail light/signal as I was alone and couldn't see it. The car does have a 4 wire plug for a trailer that was not installed by me if that helps. What could be going on here?

first guess is a bad bulb. remove each bulb, one at a time and then replace, and test the system, starting in the rear, to see if it still has the same problem. when you remove the bulb that eliminates the problem, replace it with new.

dual element bulbs can cause screwy things to happen if one bad element touches the other element in the bulb.

Well, I haven't even started driving the car yet, so it's been sitting for a couple of months waiting for warmer weather to do a head gasket job. Wondering if the critters are chewing on my wires?

Been sitting......quite possible mice have been chewing on the wiring. I have seen that before.

Also, had goofy lighting problems on a Toyota, turned out to be a cracked bulb socket holding the brake/turn signal bulb. Your problem is either bulb or wiring. Like someone said, try replacing bulbs first as your first repair approach.

The brake circuit passes through the turn signal flasher I believe. Unless the wiring for that side has been bypassed somehow I would have to thing the trouble is with the flasher unit. It would be interesting to know how the emergency flashers work along with the brake light.

• 2 months later...

does your trailer harness have the converter box for 3 into 2 wiring? You will need one with the turn lenses being separate than the brake lens, to combine them ot the trailer light.

Could be a ground issue.

does your trailer harness have the converter box for 3 into 2 wiring? You will need one with the turn lenses being separate than the brake lens, to combine them ot the trailer light.

Could be a ground issue.

Nope, the wires were spliced into the left tail light with connectors, that was sure not a U-Haul install for sure.

Sounds like a texas uhaul install. (used to work for uhaul and had to fix alot of wiring under warranty by a few goomba's that used ttaps from the kits. I always cut back the insulation and soldered them in, then taped over very orderly. NEVER had any returns.

Sounds like a texas uhaul install. (used to work for uhaul and had to fix alot of wiring under warranty by a few goomba's that used ttaps from the kits. I always cut back the insulation and soldered them in, then taped over very orderly. NEVER had any returns.

Yep, that is how my Dad wires in trailor lighting, Solder is the best way to make sure nothing gets in.

just eliminate the trailer harness as it is the wrong type if it is a 4way flat with no converter box. The pigtail grounds to the chassis, but the lights ground at the switch.

The problem with trying to remove the harness from the tail light wires is all the wires will be cut in half, as someone used those blue connctors which make one wire into two, so when you crimp them, it slices the wire and is a PITA to remove without messing everything up.