Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone use any gas additives on a periodic basis to keep their car running good? I use Chevron Techron every now and the, but not sure if it's safe to use on a regular basis. Any thoughts on Techron or any other product that would be considered good for your car?

Chevron Techron should be safe to use regularly, since they put it in all of their gas. That said, I don't bother unless I'm starting to have an issue that I believe to be fuel related. If that's the case, then I usually fill the tank and add a bottle of Seafoam.

If you are using good gasoline in the first place, additives shouldn't be necessary. I use Chevron and 76. That's pretty much it unless I don't have another choice.

I've only used Techron when I wanted to clean the contacts for the gas gauge, which worked well. Otherwise a can of Dry Gas to remove moisture from the tank in all my cars every fall is all I've ever used.

For the most part I don't think additives aren't needed on a regular basis.

:lol: Yes, often times I will reread my post and edit some of it not reading the entire sentence. :lol:

Thanks!

For clarification:

For the most part I don't think additives are needed on a regular basis.

I buy the big bottle of lucas injector cleaner and use it just about every other fill up and on long trips. I think its great stuff. And i notice a tiny bit of better gas mileage with it too. And i only run chevron gas unlees there isnt a chevron , but that is verry rarely. Ive read in some posts that the lucas stuff lubes ur fuel pump too so thats a plus.

Lucas - I buy it by the gallon and put it in their little bottles so that on gas cars it'll go in far enough.

On cars running good - every oil change.

On my tow vehicles - every tank.

In my diesel every couple k.

In my lawnmower - who's only gas source is usually what fuel I've taken out of cars I'm scrapping.

Another way to look at this stuff. Years ago I had bad fuel problems (bad gas) in an S10. I actually forget if it was my carb'd S10 or the throttle body one (95 I think). Anyways I said I'll just run some cleaner through it. I went abotu 400 miles per week. His though was the cleaner would loosen up all kinds of crap in the entore fuel system, starting in the tank. I did it anyways, carried and extra fuel filter, and changed it weekly fo rhte next few weeks. I actually forget what I used - I'd guess Gumout. But that's a different way of looking at it. You're not just cleaning he part you want, but the whole system.

So you can run seafoam into your gas tank? I thought it was usually put into the engine directly.

with sea foam you are "supposed" to put 1/3 in the oil , 1/3 in the gas tank and 1/3 in the pcv hose. however , i've added the entire bottle to just the gas tank before with no issues. also have put the whole bottle down the pcv hose with no problems. curtis

FYI my local old timer "outdoor power equipment guy" says Seafoam is the best fuel stabalizer.

I asked him a year or so ago when small engines started having troubles with all the crap they put in the gas (Ethanol) and all the harm it was doing. Knowing that when it sets it draws moisture bad. And at that time Sta-bil hadn't come out with anything for Ethanol yet (since then they have - the Marine green stuff) and I thought it was a MAJOR missed opportunity.

Never used it for stabilizer, but I do recall reading that as a use on the can.

I still primarily use it for the "catalyst effeciency" code on Subaru's.

I've used fuel additives for some years. I use a proprietary blend of things recommended to me by Dyson Analysis. I think adding a good cleaner to the fuel can (help) keep injectors and even piston crowns and combustion chambers clean. Having said that, my experience is that if you get hard/difficult deposits started, no additive will clean them up all the way. My 118k mile Baja turbo recently benefited from having the injectors ultrasonically cleaned (and rebuilt), which cleaned up the pattern some on 2 of them.

Fuel additives are a muilti million dollar scam.

You can use them, but show Me a study that conclusively shows any improvement in a properly maintained engine.

There are already so many cleaning agents in the fuel You buy.... more is not always better.

Many people, me included, have anecdotal evidence that say certain additives help. I've used Techron, Castle Fireball (local stuff), Seafoam and Lucas stuff all with the same results.

1. Not running so hot
  2. Fill up and throw in a can of cleaner
  3. Starts running better after a little while
  4. Keeps running better

It's not a placebo effect and it's worked on every car I've owned and on many I've worked on. You ask me, at least those ones make a difference.

I highly recommend 'Startron' for ethanol fuels that become laden with water. (That along with Shell gas.)

It's somewhat expensive -- approximately $10 (but good for 3 fillups in my Outback.)

Eye ain't lion. :rolleyes:

--Damien

...show Me a study that conclusively shows any improvement in a properly maintained engine...

You might want to contact SWRI (SouthWest Research Institute). They do _tons_ of independent bench/lab testing on just this kind of topic. I don't have the direct-to-paper links here, so I'll just point you to a couple digests:

http://lubecontrol.com/tests_swri.php

http://www.fpc1.com/sci_swri.php

http://www.fpc1.com/test_reports.php?&a=1

That last is just a flat list of all their tests, testimonials, and so forth. They now make you email SWRI for copies of that testing.

Seafoam makes a great fuel system cleaner, from my experience.

It does a good job of cleaning out carb jets and other various orifices fuel

comes out of :P

Also makes quick work of any water in a tank of gas.

Its a miracle in a can! :rolleyes:

Twitch

AMEN, to that. i love the stuff. plus , watching all that white smoke blowing out the tail pipe is a hoot!!! curtis

FYI my local old timer "outdoor power equipment guy" says Seafoam is the best fuel stabalizer.

I asked him a year or so ago when small engines started having troubles with all the crap they put in the gas (Ethanol) and all the harm it was doing. Knowing that when it sets it draws moisture bad. And at that time Sta-bil hadn't come out with anything for Ethanol yet (since then they have - the Marine green stuff) and I thought it was a MAJOR missed opportunity.

Never used it for stabilizer, but I do recall reading that as a use on the can.

I still primarily use it for the "catalyst effeciency" code on Subaru's.

Please explain. What code #?

Reason I ask is that I was about to change cat on my 05 OB after repeated P0420.

I had tried one, then two cheaters and then gave up and cleared code after removing cheaters. 1000 miles so far without code reappearing. Wonder if it was just some bad gas and deposits or if Lady Luck is riding in the back seat...

not if the temp drops...then the water comes out of solution....check out the 'Startron' site for a nice demonstration of that.

I think that stuff works really well...I can tell just by using my right foot and examining the exhaust fumes.

Think about it...if a mass of plutonium the size of your fist can waste an entire city in a few seconds imagine what a couple ounces of Startron stuff can do for your pet reptile.

--Damien

Please explain. What code #?

Reason I ask is that I was about to change cat on my 05 OB after repeated P0420.

I had tried one, then two cheaters and then gave up and cleared code after removing cheaters. 1000 miles so far without code reappearing. Wonder if it was just some bad gas and deposits or if Lady Luck is riding in the back seat...

My ex GF's 06 gets the code whenever she gets cheap, chain gas (Sheets or the local grocery store chain Giant Eagle's Get-Go gas). If she buys a major brand I think she's usually good.

But I've had success with this code on 95-99 2.2 and 2.5's by running it through a vacuum line and making enough white smoke to make it look like the neighborhood is on fire..

Several cars I've done this to and put another 1 or 2k on them before selling them with no further issues.

Can't beat it for the price, especially with the seeming success I've had with it.

I usually get a plastic cap off of a brake clean can or something. Pull the brake booster hose (I never did find a good and convenient smaller vacuum line - but thought about pulling one on the throttle body and inserting a

new" hose to do the sucking) and keep pouring the Sea Foam into that cap so that I can see the fluid level and keep sucking it into the engine. That way you can see what's going on and not kill the engine until you're supposed to.

I read about it here. It was the first time I had used Sea Foam and now I always keep atleast one on the shelf.

not if the temp drops...then the water comes out of solution....check out the 'Startron' site for a nice demonstration of that.

I think that stuff works really well...I can tell just by using my right foot and examining the exhaust fumes.

Think about it...if a mass of plutonium the size of your fist can waste an entire city in a few seconds imagine what a couple ounces of Startron stuff can do for your pet reptile.

--Damien

I'm just curious, where the heck did that last paragraph come from?

Lol, I mean no offense, but it just threw me for a loop.

Hey, anybody want to discuss the viability of Conklin? :lol:

Twitch