Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Kostamojen

The Unofficial "How to Lift your Impreza" Thread

I have an 11 WRX hatchback that I've been interested in lifting 2-3 inches. I'm a total noob when it comes to cars, and I baby my car, don't really have any mods on it other than upgrades speakers, headunit/amp, and radiator. So, sorry in advance if these questions have already been answered, I've read through the post but couldn't piece together the answers I am looking for. With that said, what I'm trying to figure out is what the best way to go about a lift is (2-3 inches). I don't want to lose much handling in the process and I'm not sure if that's a necessary sacrifice I'd have to make or not. I don't have any sway bars in my car yet, I've been trying to find some used ones to save a little bit of cash. I don't plan on taking it off-roading, I just want a really versatile car and I feel safer in a car that sits up a little higher. My tires are shot so I'm ordering some DW continental extreme contacts. I figured if the parts for the lift are in my budget I could have the tires and the lift done in one go, I'd have someone else do the work as I don't have a garage or car-savy friends.

Also, none of the pictures on this website show up for me! There's just a thumbnail. Is there any way around that? It would help me out reading some of these posts.

In reading all this about lifting an Impreza. I have a 2011 OBS, I'm looking at getting 2011 Forester struts and springs prob get 16" Forester wheels with the General Grabber tires. What's confusing me is what I need for the rear wheel relocation. I've seen mention of 97-99 outback trailing arm mounts, will these mount up to my '11? Would a better option be to do subframe spacers? Are the trailing arm mounts attached to the subframe? They kinda appear to be. Other than puttin on camber bolts and some sorta swaybar endlinks, are ther any other parts I need to consider? Thanks.

In reading all this about lifting an Impreza. I have a 2011 OBS, I'm looking at getting 2011 Forester struts and springs prob get 16" Forester wheels with the General Grabber tires. What's confusing me is what I need for the rear wheel relocation. I've seen mention of 97-99 outback trailing arm mounts, will these mount up to my '11? Would a better option be to do subframe spacers? Are the trailing arm mounts attached to the subframe? They kinda appear to be. Other than puttin on camber bolts and some sorta swaybar endlinks, are ther any other parts I need to consider? Thanks.

for your style,you're better off purchasing an entire lift kor from Andersondesign-fab.com. the forester struts are a bit too long to keep the axles happy on the newer ones. Either way, you'll need multi link spacers for the rear, which you can also find at that link.

2 questions for those that have done the lift...looking at lifting my daily, 98 obs. Have 05 forester struts on the way(kyb) ,trailing arm brackets here with 05 forester springs(have the auto-adjust suspension springs, thats all the junkyard had and im *hoping* it will be better since i haul a lot/offroad a lot ,so we'll see how they work). 

I'm assuming somewhere between 2 and 4" of lift from this...and im looking at 27 or 28" tires(has 24.5 stock), does anyone know if that will be an issue with the automatic trans(4eat)? Or if the 05 strut/spring lift will be fine for a DD? i hear some people say its a 4" total lift, and others say 2-2.5, so im not sure what i will be looking at exactly.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Falconman
Additional info

Figured ill try to keep the thread alive a tad...gotten 1k on the odometer (1150 true miles) since my lift/tire swap.finally swapped back to stock tires, and my measurements saw the 05 struts lifted my 98 obs 1.25" in the front and 2.25" in the rear...seems odd that its different but i measured lots of places and it all comes out the same, 2" in the rear and 1" in the front. Going to the pick n pull tomorrow to get forester springs, hopefully will give me another inch(thats what she said), i think that will be fine for the rear cvs(3" total)and front(2" total). Will update when done

Also, side note, changing to 3" taller tires on 33psi only lifts it up .5"? 

Hi there... I am new to this site. Decided to join after reading it through a few times.

I wonder has anyone successfully lifted a 2012 Impreza ? I am thinking of buying a 2012 model  and lifting it by about 2.5 - 3 inches.  I plan to get this as opposed to XV because of the low mileage ( 30 k ) and somehow the 2012/2013  XV doesn't comes with push button start stop,  both are CVT.   Besides its about $2 k cheaper.

Where I live it's hard to find a junk yard that sells old parts ( 2010 and before ). AS Subaru is not   selling well over here I may end up needing to buy  swapped or new OEM parts. Any idea if 2010 - 2012 forester struts and all the other parts that were mentioned in  this forum fits 2012 Impreza ? I checked with the dealership, but they said forester strut or XV struts will not fit Impreza, without any further elaboration.

Appreciate any information provided.

Thanks.