Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radius rod extension mod?

El Presidente

You've got a sweet ride man! I think yours was the one that got this whole idea rolling in my head..

How much drop do you have at the crossmember?

Any change in handling?

Thanks!

6" @ the crossmembers

As far as handling goes, it handles like a monster truck! The lack of swaybars and added weight of the bumpers/subframe etc. combined with the increased powah of the ej make it go like grave digger. :grin:

I have yet to do the front radius rod extension, but i'm strongly considering it. Help with turning clearances with my new BFG's and toyota rims.

Here is an old picture... You can see how my old school BYB/Ozified lift keeps the rear tire centered. I find this setup a lot more visually appealing.

492490962_jsD5w-L.jpg

IMO Tosh's car just looks off with how offset the wheels are.

Yea, the tire looks better. And then I see all the crap hanging down in front of it, and the function-over-form part of me throws up a bit. You've done a great job of reinforcing/protecting that mount, but it sure didn't take me long to ruin those mounts on my BYB lifted EA82.

• Like 1

You've done a great job of reinforcing/protecting that mount, but it sure didn't take me long to ruin those mounts on my BYB lifted EA82.

Really? I've not had an issue with this mount and I would consider the offroading I've done to be pretty tough for most 4wd's.

Here's pic of my setup, not the greatest pics to show that mount unfortunately:

p3190063rs.jpg

p4230056rs.jpg

I'm looking at making a set of adjustable radius rods like these below:

radiusrods002rs.jpg

radiusrods004rs.jpg

The reason I'm after an adjustable set is so that I can find my own sweet spot and move the front wheels away from the firewall. With my current setup of 3 inches lift on the engine crossmember and 2 inches lift on the gearbox/radius rod mount plate the front wheels have been pulled towards the firewall. No biggie if you're running stock tyres, but the 27's just clear it enough not to be able to run chains in winter that are legally required to get up the mountain for the snow...

Hope this helps out El Presidente - these units are currently on a lifted, EJ turbo'd brat that run 27 inch tyres, so I figure my EJ shouldn't be able to kill them too easily, I'm looking at having a spare set made up anyway.

Cheers

Bennie

Yea, the tire looks better. And then I see all the crap hanging down in front of it, and the function-over-form part of me throws up a bit. You've done a great job of reinforcing/protecting that mount, but it sure didn't take me long to ruin those mounts on my BYB lifted EA82.

True enough. I knew the minute I put the lift on that SOMETHING had to be done there. Really, you'd think that lift kit should have had come with a solution for that.

Another aspect of the rear lift, is stub shafts. I never broke one... but I know a lot of people have, and a good portion of them have lifts with stock position rear sub frames. Coincidence? Probably. But, it makes you think! ;)

It may be visually cool but if you run a trail with me your only going to be a anchor

I have yet to do the front radius rod extension, but i'm strongly considering it. Help with turning clearances with my new BFG's and toyota rims.

Here is an old picture... You can see how my old school BYB/Ozified lift keeps the rear tire centered. I find this setup a lot more visually appealing.

492490962_jsD5w-L.jpg

IMO Tosh's car just looks off with how offset the wheels are.

• 7 months later...