Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Elmer the 86 subaru 4x4 wagon , my question why is my mpg only 20mpg ??

206k miles 5 speed white wagon

yes i have done oil change 20w50 with wix oil filter

clean air filter 1 year old

fuel filter 4 months old

new spark wires

new distributer rotor

seafoamed the carb crankcase and tank,

40%city driving average 7 miles country driving just to get to town

i do a lot of coasting

i have vacuum gauge set up

for some reason 2nd radiator fan has never came on fuse is good,

for some reason o2 senor wire is cut

also it seems my gear oil is low , grinds to shift down to 1st

have to be going 5mph to shift to first , could this have anything to do with it?

maybe a tight brake pad Idk ...

please help i know 4x4 subarus are underpowered and don't get the best mpgs compared to their class but i know for a fact that it should be getting no less than 23 i hear of people getting 30 mpg in the same car in reviews and craigslist ads all the time !

so whats up with my car

please help !

thanks!

Edited by vulgora

for some reason o2 senor wire is cut

well theres your problem...the ECU is running the motor in open loop mode...which results in overly rich fuel/air ratios = crap mpg

one would have to wonder why the O2 sensor wire is cut in the first place.... if it has been cut deliberately and not broken by a rock or stick etc

the trans is not designed to shift into first while rolling. bad driving habit with subarus. Driving like this will affect the 3rd gear synchro, eventually.

check the coolant temp sensor, the one on the thermostat housing with 2 wires and a green plug. this may be your fuel ecomomy issue.

also, timing should be set at 20 deg btdc

if the wire was cut, the o2 sensor was probably bad and making it more erratic than just cutting the wires to make the carb run rich all the time...

and since carbed, the timing would be different. does the carb model have the CTS?

the second fan should only come on with the AC...

to check for sticky brakes, jack up the end of the car you want to test... and spin the wheels by hand. should turn easily (couple of fingers to turn). if you encounter much resistance, then there's a couple of things could be done to eliminate resistance..

new wheel bearings/grease/seals

clean/relube caliper slides

I've got an 86 gl 4x4 as well, and I get about 20-21 when all city driving. I just drove from Ohio to Missouri and got 26 on the highway. I'm doing a carb rebuild now, and hoping that will help, but maybe that's just what it gets.

Isn't the timing on a 5mt supposed to be 8 deg btc? I thought 20 was for automatics.

if the wire was cut, the o2 sensor was probably bad and making it more erratic than just cutting the wires to make the carb run rich all the time...

and since carbed, the timing would be different. does the carb model have the CTS?

to check for sticky brakes, jack up the end of the car you want to test... and spin the wheels by hand. should turn easily (couple of fingers to turn). if you encounter much resistance, then there's a couple of things could be done to eliminate resistance..

new wheel bearings/grease/seals

clean/relube caliper slides

whats CTS??

I've got an 86 gl 4x4 as well, and I get about 20-21 when all city driving. I just drove from Ohio to Missouri and got 26 on the highway. I'm doing a carb rebuild now, and hoping that will help, but maybe that's just what it gets.

Isn't the timing on a 5mt supposed to be 8 deg btc? I thought 20 was for automatics.

for a while , last fall i was getting 28 mpg

my vacuum is still 20-21 so how can there be a problem when the vacuum is all the way up (just nit before it warms up)

Sorry, i misread. I was thinking SPFI. SPFI and turbo do 20 deg, turbo with mechanical disty do 25, and carbs do 8

for a while , last fall i was getting 28 mpg

my vacuum is still 20-21 so how can there be a problem when the vacuum is all the way up (just nit before it warms up)

So if you were getting better gas mileage earlier while the o2 sensor was still cut (assuming you didn't do it yourself since then, as it sounds like you didn't), we shouldn't be looking at that as the issue.

I would say +1 on the coolant temp sensor, and see where that takes you.

Or when up to temperature enough for the thermo switch to turn it on. This is how they work in Oz on both Brats and L series... And the AC should switch both fans on as well.

BS,What do you think the synchro is for?

I seriously hope you don't force it into 1st with the synchromesh!!! At least double clutch it! I think you will find that most japanese gearboxes have some sort of a device that doesn't allow you to select 1st until you're almost at a full stand still. Doubling the clutch and rev matching can get around this ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Dude, you can't call bs. I am miles fox. What i said is true. Go own 35 plus subarus, and tell me how many of them won't go into first gear at a roll. Thanx and good evening. I have a pet peeve when people try to drive and or work on these things like its some GMC. Throw all that out the window and open the subaru book.(i just woke up and need cofee)

All early Subaru's I have owned have resistance over 5mph. Miles would be correct in my opinion. Having owned over 100 '84-'90 assorted models with over 90% of them being manuals I would think I may know what I am talking about. Food for thought.

Now, back to the OP's question.

20 mpg is about average. O2 sensor will cause rich condition. Winter fuel will also cause some of your symptoms.

What do you think the synchro is for?

5 mph is rolling.

If it has a synchro,it is designed to shift while moving.End of story.

Synchro banter is not helping the OP with his problem. End of story. Back on topic. End of story!

Speaking of back on topic...

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but my carbed 86 EA82 doesn't even have an o2 sensor (or a hole for one) and my Haynes manual doesn't show that there should be one (just on EA81s and FI models). Should Elmer even have an o2 sensor, or did someone add it later?

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but my carbed 86 EA82 doesn't even have an o2 sensor (or a hole for one) and my Haynes manual doesn't show that there should be one (just on EA81s and FI models). Should Elmer even have an o2 sensor, or did someone add it later?

:grin: well i dont know what was going wrong or what i did right ,

because after i put in $10 "2.5 gallons"

i got roughly 65 miles (not scientific test just watching the gauge drop from 1/4 mark to middle of E

how ever i right before i went to town to get gas i sprayed carb cleaner in a a few of the Tees in the vacuum lines , could be pcv idk ,

but both were freaking gummed up

the problem is i dont remember how the order was on the left T the one with 5 or 6 ports ,

also the vacuum filter my the canister that was freaking gummed up too

in addition , idk if this was just knocked off from taking the air filter hosing off or if its been off for a long freaking time , but I found the linkage for the choke was off .

it looks like the o2 sensor is stock , but its been jerry rigged so ihave no idea where it hooked up

what it seems it doesnt need it , it was cool like freezing out, it would just take a extra pump of a puff of gas

now when the o2 sensor went bad in my moms 93 legacy it would not start when it was close to freezing , it would just flood

thanks for the help guys keep it coming!

late carb'd models sold in CALIFORNIA (will say federal or california under hood) had computer controlled carbs that had O2 sensor. look at your underhood placard and see if it is conforms to 1986 california or federal emissions standards

I have an 86 GL carbed wagon and it does not use an O2 sensor - designed that way.

late carb'd models sold in CALIFORNIA (will say federal or california under hood) had computer controlled carbs that had O2 sensor. look at your underhood placard and see if it is conforms to 1986 california or federal emissions standards

Ah, the answer to my confusion! I always manage to forget that there were two different models. Thanks for clearing that up. :)