Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ 5 lug on an EA

Mr. Brat

I have searched for this with no luck on finding anything.

It is not getting harder and harder to find the XT6 5 lug stuff...

With that being said, is it possible to EJ 5 lug on an EA? If possible who has done is and how hard is it?

For the front, EJ stuff goes right in as long as you put the larger EJ style ball joint in, and redrill the strut towers to accept the EJ struts.

EA81 is going to have a width issue with the front axles, but EA82's do not. You will of course have to match your new EJ axles to your transmission stub shaft splines.

The rears are the hard part. The hub/axle setup in the EJ's are very different from the EA cars. You have 2 options for the rear hubs, XT6, or Crossbred Performance (out of aus. where they did not get xt6's). I believe ShawnW is a reseller of Crossbred Performance parts.

In the past there have been people that were going to make some bolt on hub adapters for the rear, but I never saw those projects really get anywhere.

If using the EJ knucles, can I take the center section out of the EA81 axle and put in the cups of the EJ axles to shorten the over length of the axle?

i tihnk that someone did that on here, its what my plan is for my brat. the other option is having a chunk cut from the ej axle and then get it sleeved and welded together. that was my other option if mix and match doesnt work.

the other option is having a chunk cut from the ej axle and then get it sleeved and welded together

That would be my last resort, I would like to have everything in one forum so everyone could search and find it. I have seen plenty of other ideas... you could search for days to get the same info.

look under both cars side by side and it quickly becomes evident how different the rears are and why few/if anyone has done it. it is not a bolt on affair by any stretch of imagination. get the torch, metal fabrication, and welding equipment ready. :Flame:

If using the EJ knucles, can I take the center section out of the EA81 axle and put in the cups of the EJ axles to shorten the over length of the axle?

I didn't do that for a 5-lug conversion, but I did something similar for my STI 5-speed swap. There is a way to mix and match factory axles, but I used EMPI axles to get Impreza inners on a Brat axle. The same can be done in reverse. They happen to use the same diameter and spline count for Brats and Imprezas.

Jacob

Cutting and welding doesn't stop me at all. There is a lot of people on here that can't/don't have access to torces or a welder. I am pretty much looking for bolt of 5 lug swap stuff with the axles that would work with it. I did find a company that can make 4 to 5 lug adaptors, but with that you don't get the bigger brakes.

Cutting and welding doesn't stop me at all. There is a lot of people on here that can't/don't have access to torces or a welder. I am pretty much looking for bolt of 5 lug swap stuff with the axles that would work with it. I did find a company that can make 4 to 5 lug adaptors, but with that you don't get the bigger brakes.

GD and I can make axles that would work using EMPI parts. It's not cheap, but that's what I did. With the clicking/shaking issues people seem to get from almost any axle, I wasn't wild about the cutting and sleeving thing.

Jacob

Well, I was driving my Subaru on Route 50 today, and I hit a Turkey going 55 mph.

The dead bird flipped off of my car and hit a State Highway Patrolman's Crown Vic.

Then The Man pulls me over.

Now, I'm sitting there still a little freaked out by the Turkey Murder, and this guy writes me a ticket for flipping a bird at him.

Go figure.

Sincerely,

Doug

• Like 1

Well, I was driving my Subaru on Route 50 today, and I hit a Turkey going 55 mph.

The dead bird flipped off of my car and hit a State Highway Patrolman's Crown Vic.

Then The Man pulls me over.

Now, I'm sitting there still a little freaked out by the Turkey Murder, and this guy writes me a ticket for flipping a bird at him.

Go figure.

Sincerely,

Doug

Heh nice. I'll make a note to revisit this thread tomorrow and see if it's still funny.

Jacob

Instead of shortening the axles, is widening the subframe or control arms no option for you then?

You have to do some measuring what your width of front wheels are going to be then, but maybe it's a cheaper and easier solution than modding the axles.

For the rear, if you also want the bigger brakes and handbrake, go for the crossbred parts I'd say.

I've done some designing of the rear hubs myself trying to get a 5 lug, but in the end, with all the machining and engineering effort, better to go for the proven solution of crossbred. I was very pleased with this kit, how it fitted and worked.

I know that you can bolt up the EA82 front cross member in and that would widen the front and and solve alot of problems, But this also widen the front an 1.5 inches if I remember so, thus would have a wider stance in the front. I dont want that at all. I want to stay the same width if at all possible.

I know that you can bolt up the EA82 front cross member in and that would widen the front and and solve alot of problems, But this also widen the front an 1.5 inches if I remember so, thus would have a wider stance in the front. I dont want that at all. I want to stay the same width if at all possible.

Widen the rear with a couple of spacers? A little wider stance looks quite good on those Leone cars btw.

Well, it's up to you to do the measuring and determine what and how you want your car to look.

Good luck!

Mine sit flush with the fenders, and I used the xt6 control arms on the brat's stock subframe welding ea82 mounts on the back side. I'm going to have to get wheel spacers for the back to make the wheels look even back there though...

• 1 month later...

Do you guys know if anyone have tried to put a subframe and coilovers in the rear of a brat?

I was thinking about trying to swap everything from an 04 wrx into my brat. I know this will take lost of custom work but I think might work out ok. Just wondering if someone has done it?

Do you guys know if anyone have tried to put a subframe and coilovers in the rear of a brat?

I was thinking about trying to swap everything from an 04 wrx into my brat. I know this will take lost of custom work but I think might work out ok. Just wondering if someone has done it?

A lot of the pictures are gone, but the main build is still there.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58869

I've seen this in person, its one sweet ride.