Ultimate Subaru Message Board

#Tires# Dont Flame Me OK

Scott in Bellingham

But he wants an all-terrain...not a mud tire. :-\

eggzachary people.he asked for an AT tire.And FYI mud that comes from the depths of Baja is some of the sickest mud i have seen in my life.....( i have lived in gumbo mud , desert mud, and now PNW mud)just sayin.it aint a swamper, it is not a cooper sst, but it is a highly capable all around tire.....

cheers, me

DING DING DING!

The BFG doesn't suck in the mud, it just isn't great. It was never designed to be a great mud tire. If you want to go tackle Walker in February, I'd go with something else OBVIOUSLY. That isn't what Scott asked about. Sounds to me like he'll be using this thing as a pavement pounder, and trips to Walker in the summer. If that's the case, he won't find a better tire than the BFG A/T without spending alot more. If he does want to hit Walker in February, I'm sure he can throw one of his sets of MTs on for that trip. Also, a BFG A/T will clear just fine. Try spinning it.... Plus, they are probably one of the greatest snow tires around for floater rigs.

PS: 215/75/15 BFG T/As list for $132 a piece at tire rack. That's really not very expensive. And if you are having problems with 6ply tires on a Subaru, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.:grin:

If you guys want to start comparing the STTs to BFG A/Ts, we can always go get the BFGs big bro.... The BFG M/T TA KM2 is only $146 each. If you want some sidewall, compare that to the STT.

Edited by Zap

Now now everybody. Opinions are opinions. No need to put up frowns and sad faces. Scott specifically asked for opinions and stated right in the title that there should be no flaming.

So. I want everybody to go back and edit their posts to state what they think about the tire. Please delete comments about other people's opinions. Or I will delete those posts.

Nobody complained about mud. People stated opinons. Please go fix your posts.

Edited by Zap

agreed. we are all here for the same reason we love our subis and we love wheelin them. we can argue the difference between the tires all day because they are not the same tire a/t and m/t dont compare on the same level. and a friend of mine just informed me that the general grabber at2 that looks like the BFG all terrain preforms exactly the same as the BFG and costs less for those who might be wondering.

If you guys want to start comparing the STTs to BFG A/Ts, we can always go get the BFGs big bro.... The BFG M/T TA KM2 is only $146 each. If you want some sidewall, compare that to the STT.

i have set of those(BFG M/T TA KM2) for my 1st gen cummins.they are awesome when i remember where my air intake is....:lol:

and when i am above it they rip pretty well.I hear that the New MTR's are even more killer.

but back to the subject.AT'sAvast.and the BFG is one of the best....period.

cheers, b

The BFG a/t's are a reasonable all-terrain tire, but I wasn't too pleased with mine. They wore pretty quick with what I was doing, even, but quick. Ripped some big chunks out of them too, and had a sidewall flap hanging for a while. They suck in the mud, the tread won't clear so you end up with slicks. Same thing in the snow. I'd get stuck in snow without being high centered just because the tires would pack up.

They were quiet on the street, did well in the rain, and performed OK in the woods. I wouldn't recommend them though.

I ran a set on my Tacoma and had the same results as the subaru, so it wasn't a subaru only thing. I run whatever's round, used, and cheap on the truck. 3 sets of wheels with 15" and 16" give me flexibility in finding used tires.

I am not really a BFGAT guy, but if these perform as well as they look.... I saw them at walmart the other day and thought in my head about the forester.... :lol::lol:

they look like (by tread design) that they would be somewhat acceptable (better than bfg) in a mud condition if someone were to be "un"fortunate enough to have to go through some to get where he needed to be :)

http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/wrangler-duratrac/

I know a few people running grabbers. I have a set on my G/F's car that work great and wear good, and my step dad has had a couple sets on his HD 3/4 ton pickup and loves them. They wear really well, even on a heavy truck, and he loves the all around great traction they have too. He also plows with them.

I've got Grabbers on my Outback as I couldn't get BFGs and am happy with them so far. They do ok in the mud but do turn to slicks pretty easily and quickly but, even still. I've been wheelin them since Feb. and have gotten stuck only once because I went too slow, but that's another story. Rather quiet on the street and on the highways and handle decently too (they do flex though). I recommend them for dry fun.

• 1 month later...

my pic didnt attatch i guess....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Outlined+White+Letters&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+A%2FT+2

like most michelin, these get excellent reviews all around. noise, ride comfort, longevity, fuel efficiency, pavement traction, trail traction, and safety.

and just judging by looks alone, they look like they would be tame and smooth on the freeway, but do pretty decent on gravel and dry or damp dirt. you might not be able to climb up a sheer cliff in a hurricane, but as you know, tires ARE aaaaalways a compromise. you cant have it all, at least not in one tire.

like all michelins, though, they arent dirt cheap. tirerack.com says $143 per tire for the smallest size, 235-75-15.

• 2 months later...

I've run cooper discoverer ATs, BFG AT TA/KOs, and now have the grabber AT2s. Nearly identical tread pattern as the BFGs, but the grabbers have a bit more space b/t the lugs, so better shedding/clearing. AND about 20% le$$!

I've only had them 10K or less miles, but love them so far. looking forward to another winter in them, but with better gearing now I'll better able to test them this year. :brow:

cooper (205x75x14...don't think they make this size anymore, and maybe not this style either?)

DSC04564.JPG

DSC04560.JPG

BFG all terrain TA/KO (27x8.5 14")

bfg_alterr_tako_ci1_l.jpg

evol%252520%25252827%252529.JPG

general grabber AT2 (27x8.5 14")

ge_grabber_at2_owl_ci1_l.jpg

P1000159.JPG

P1010437.JPG

Edited by superu