Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Non OEM knock sensor, anyone install one?

Ok thinking of breaking my own rule. I normal always buy OE parts, but my dealer wants $118 for a knock sensor on my 00 legacy. And I don't want to wait again to order one. On line price $74 if I order it. My question is anyone buy an aftermarket knock sensor? If so, what brand did you buy and did you have any problems. I will probably just order it, but if no one has any problems with non OE parts I my give it a shot. It's the last part I need and the car is done.

Thanks,

Geo

Just my personal experience, bought a knock sensor off of Ebay a year ago for $45 or so. Don't remember the brand but it looked just like every knock sensor I've ever seen! Put it in my son's '92 Legacy and it has been working just fine.

Although I generally believe in OEM parts sometimes it's just not necessary to pay extra just for a name.

Ok thinking of breaking my own rule. I normal always buy OE parts, but my dealer wants $118 for a knock sensor on my 00 legacy. And I don't want to wait again to order one. On line price $74 if I order it. My question is anyone buy an aftermarket knock sensor? If so, what brand did you buy and did you have any problems. I will probably just order it, but if no one has any problems with non OE parts I my give it a shot. It's the last part I need and the car is done.

Thanks,

Geo

I got one from ebay and it's been installed for 2 months and working fine.

on a side note i took my old cracked one and hooked it up to my oscilloscope and tapped on it and it still worked.

$35 ebay variety in 2000 forester, good to go. that's my only experience.

Subaru online venders are about $20 cheaper - so probably around $100, the local dealers match those prices for me, you could ask your local dealer as well if you wanted Subaru.

Thanks,

My dealer would not match on line dealers prices. They would not even get it close. Best they would do is $108. I just bought $1400 OE parts through online Subaru dealers. If my dealer worked with me a little better, I would of bought locally.

I might try a auto zone or advance auto sensor. Seems like everyone is having luck with them. I just did not want to wait to order it , my plan is to put it on the road tomorrow. I have been driving my f150 since 97 looking forward to something a little better on gas

thanks for the info.

Geo

Thanks for the coupon codes:banana:

I have been driving my f150 since 97
i love my F150 and hope to have it for 20 years. but it gets old as a daily driver. 15 mpg and a rough ride on the unconventional daily drive i have on switchback unmarked mountain roads. the cars are more pleasant for those things.

I love my f150, not getting rid of it. I got a deal of the century on my Subaru,and looking forward to something different. I just got my knock sensor from advanced. I used the promo code BIG30 from the link Durania posted got $30 off, came to $57 I figured it was worth a shot. Ordered online with in store pick up.

I still pinch myself.. I picked up this 00 legacy l 120 k for $300

Runs like a new car, came with new tires,brakes and exhaust. The only issue was a weeping head gasket and a deer hit the front fender and corner of the hood. I replaced the fender, head gaskets, resealed the motor,timing belt and tensioner and rollers, clutch and pp air,oil,fuel filters,thermostat,all hoses,water pump, every fluid changed, accessory belts,now the knock sensor. Original owner did not want to deal with the cost of the head gasket and the deer issue. They would of had to pay someone.

To me it was like hitting the lottery. I have about $1400 into it including the price of the car.

subaru_legacy_003_0.JPG

06072011187_0.jpg

Edited by Rpm90001

Thanks,

My dealer would not match on line dealers prices. They would not even get it close. Best they would do is $108. I just bought $1400 OE parts through online Subaru dealers. If my dealer worked with me a little better, I would of bought locally.

Bingo!

I have a dealership that I love to death but their parts department is sub-par. I have since been getting all my parts from Annapolis Subaru through Jackie and she ships it to me. You mention you saw her on Nasioc and they get you a pretty good discount.

I just got my knock sensor from advanced. I used the promo code BIG30 from the link Durania posted got $30 off, came to $57 I figured it was worth a shot. Ordered online with in store pick up.

Awesome. Glad to have helped out. That's what I did when I bought a set of spring compressors to redo the top hats on my STi. They were $49.99 and a coupon code had a deal for if you spend $50 you get like $20 off I do believe. So, I bought a .98c pack of battery washers and felt like a hero.

Midlandman.jpg

Edited by Durania

Thanks,

My dealer would not match on line dealers prices. They would not even get it close. I just bought $1400 OE parts through online Subaru dealers.

that's a lot of parts.

go back and show the parts manager your receipt for your $1400 worth of parts and tell him he could have made the sale instead of some store across the country. ask for the wholesale price again.