Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was the Subaru GL line discontinued...?

Because buying a Legacy or Impreza has more allure than buying a GL or even a DL :rolleyes:

The line arguably became two lines, the GL becoming the Legacy line and the DL becoming the Impreza line.

GL= Got Lots

DL= Didn't leave S^$# but an AM Radio

In 1990, they became a Loyale...

Like my 1986 GL is basically a Loyale Sedan.

But after 1994, I dont believe the DL,GL,GL-10 line continued.

You have the L, LS, LSi, Brighton etc in the Legacy and such, but for the vehicles LIKE the DL, GL, GL-10 line, those ended in 1994 (didnt continue in 1995 is what I mean)

The GL and dl, gl10, rx, etc were as such until 1990, when the same exact cars and assembly were badged LOYALE, since no subaru had introduced a new model, all new legacy, so the gl's were rebadged as loyale to be sold as the economy model, were the legacy was the flagship model. The XT expired in 92, after being replaced by the SVX

by 1993, the impreza was released, all new(body on legacy carryover driveline), ans was marketed as the economy model, doing away with the loyale altogether.

The legacy and impreza were subarus first world class cars, and everything up to the latest models derives from them.

Somewhere in the mix, the justy came about, but it was a subaru engineered rebadged suzuki.

The svx continued thru 96, had FWD variants, and did not sell well, and was done away with. You could think of the tribeca as a 3rd generation alcyone(2nd gen svx) from an engineering standpoint, or at least the 6 cyl engines)

The ea81 brat and hatch were produced alongside the ea82, of the "L-series" family all the way thru 94. But the ea81 variants were discontinued in the states in 85 for the wagon, sedan, and coupe, replaced by ea82 in 85(86 for coupe), and introducing the alcyone/XT. The brat continued til 87 in the states, after no longer being able to avoud tarriffs for truck, and the hatch was the base-est economy model discontinued in 89, upon the l series rebadge LOYALE, replacing it as the base model compared to the new legacy for 89-90

In 1990, they became a Loyale...

Like my 1986 GL is basically a Loyale Sedan.

But after 1994, I dont believe the DL,GL,GL-10 line continued.

You have the L, LS, LSi, Brighton etc in the Legacy and such, but for the vehicles LIKE the DL, GL, GL-10 line, those ended in 1994 (didnt continue in 1995 is what I mean)

I believe it goes Brighton,l,ls,lsi as the Brightons had no tac and all the L's did

Cheers R.

I believe it goes Brighton,l,ls,lsi as the Brightons had no tac and all the L's did

Cheers R.

Add GT, and GT Limited to the end of that list.

Although, I'm not really sure what the Limited means (besides making registration cost more)... I have one, and some GTs have more options than my Limited.

and dont forget the AE (anderson erickson here) but on a subie, Anniversary Edition.

then the ll bean, etc, eddie bauer, lol, and soon to be the basspro shop edition....means nothing to me

isnt the lance armstrong model coming soon?

and ken block or travis pastranaIMG00267-20110713-1110.jpg

Edited by bheinen74

NoahDL88 mentioned how the GLs kind of got replaced by Legacys, and that reminded me of something I noticed a few years back. Has anybody else noticed that Subaru's flagship line (of sedans and wagons) in the U.S.A. gets redesigned every 5 years like clockwork? As far as I can tell, this has been going on since at least 1980.

'7?-'79 = EA71 GL? (the 4wd wagon was introduced in '75, but was that a redesign?)

'80-'84 = EA81 GL

'85-'89 = EA82 GL

'90-'94 = 1st gen Legacy

'95-'99 = 2nd gen Legacy / Legacy Outback

'00-'04 = 3rd gen Legacy / Outback

'05-'09 = 4th gen Legacy / Outback

'10- = 5th gen Legacy / Outback

I think it's cool that Subaru has been able to stick to that schedule for so long.

NoahDL88 mentioned how the GLs kind of got replaced by Legacys, and that reminded me of something I noticed a few years back. Has anybody else noticed that Subaru's flagship line (of sedans and wagons) in the U.S.A. gets redesigned every 5 years like clockwork? As far as I can tell, this has been going on since at least 1980.

'7?-'79 = EA71 GL? (the 4wd wagon was introduced in '75, but was that a redesign?)

'80-'84 = EA81 GL

'85-'89 = EA82 GL

'90-'94 = 1st gen Legacy

'95-'99 = 2nd gen Legacy / Legacy Outback

'00-'04 = 3rd gen Legacy / Outback

'05-'09 = 4th gen Legacy / Outback

'10- = 5th gen Legacy / Outback

I think it's cool that Subaru has been able to stick to that schedule for so long.

What about the 1990-1994 Loyale? It had the options of the GL and looks the same as the EA82 GLs.