Ultimate Subaru Message Board

because today, at 266+K, i had my first timing belt failure. :-\

it was previously replaced circa 195K. haven't gotten into it to determine the cause of failure, just pried the p-side cover off to see if that was the reason for the sudden engine shutdown. it was.

if it had been a 2.5, i'd be looking for a new car. now i have a project for next weekend.

95 2.2

changed idlers, tensioner, cog, seals, belt last time, about 70k miles. i've replaced the belt/etc at 100k intervals. didn't replace the water pump last time, but i will replace it now.

Edited by wally

now you're good to 320k. thanks for posting, mine is currently at 58,000 miles on the belt (178k on the car) and i was thinking about waiting until next summer, i should just do it now. let us know what caused it if you can tell.

if it had been a 2.5, i'd be looking for a new car.
or a later model EJ22 - which are also interference engines. only the earlier EJ22's were non interference. Edited by grossgary

all three idlers were replaced the last time, along with the tensioner. i did it. in looking through my receipts, i discovered that the water pump is the original to the car. it has 266K on it. :lol:

still haven't pulled it apart.

update on likely t-b failure cause:

wasn't the water pump, even though it IS original. wasn't any of the idlers, either.

it appears to be the tensioner. it retracts, rather than extends, so it seems to have allowed slack in the belt, which ultimately snapped it. the belt wasn't "burned through".

guess ima looking for a tensioner now.