Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the stupid S**T previous owners did to your soob - a place to vent and commiserate

Oh, where to start?

-replace CV shaft, with new bearings: let's fail to properly grease pack them...

-let's allow a vinyl-eating pitbull puppy to co-habitate while we're out on camping trips....

-hey, we need a new exhaust! but apparently we don't need to use new exhaust gaskets!?!...

-i have an idea! let's make it look cool by spray-bombing everything from the trim line down with cheap rattle can flat black! (and touch-up paint the red...OVER the other trims and emblems)...

and a personal pet peeve, while even just catching a ride in someone else's car:

-let's use the interior as a trash bin and never clean it out! the fresh Colorado air will mask all odors!

in all seriousness, i guess my purchase isn't that bad, these are minor gripes and expected problems with a 23yr old car that's been 'properly' used. there's virually no rust and very few body panel dings, she's runs well, and the 4hi/lo works :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how to use the forum, I just never get on here. I've been more active on here the past few days than I have been since I signed onto USMB. Was just wondering if there were some shortcuts, since I basically have a build thread on facebook in the form of a photo album. I don't feel like uploading 100+ pictures to my photobucket account that I haven't used in 2 years...

But I guess thats what I will do when I get time.

Back on topic: One time I was helping a lady on the street that was overheating, she happened to have a '88 dl wagon. After that was all sorted out, I looked under the car to see that her exaust manifolds were constructed out of flexible 2" metal dryer hosing. :lol:

^^^^^^

In the mean time. you can use facebook. just have to copy the "download" link and paste it in. but be sure to remove the ?dl=1.

haven't tried it, but it makes sense. Basically you're modifying the link so that it doesn't automatically download the image when you click on it. When you view an image on fb you there is a link that says download. (On a windows-based computer, macs would be ctrl+click probably? don't feel like starting the virtual machine to find out) right-click and "copy link location" or similar. Then paste and remove the ?dl=1 at the end of the link.

Back OT, no new surprises, although I need to take a picture of all the wires inside my engine bay so someone can tell me if that's normal....

^^^^^^

haven't tried it, but it makes sense. Basically you're modifying the link so that it doesn't automatically download the image when you click on it. When you view an image on fb you there is a link that says download. (On a windows-based computer, macs would be ctrl+click probably? don't feel like starting the virtual machine to find out) right-click and "copy link location" or similar. Then paste and remove the ?dl=1 at the end of the link..

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/265046_246283432055552_100000216909175_1213464_5539739_n.jpg

cool, now that is a hotlink to the image on f.b, is there a way to make the f.b picture actually show up in the thread like a photobucket embed?

i know you do something along the lines of: [image] blahblahblah [/image]

some of my own stupid s**t is happening... the front end is shuddering on my brat when i am on the accelerator... the driver side cv boot is torn, could that be a part of it? nothing appears to be loose. Oh and its a gen 2, an '85... in case if there are any differences/specifics.

Brilliant thread :D. And lots of lawls.

When I first got the loyale a lot of sh...stuff went down. It was great. Then I got it home and realized the odometer didn't work. That was the same trip home in which my nice windshield got a crack in it from a pebble kicked up from a passing truck (going the other way, not passing me). Oh, and a radiator hose burst...what a hell of a ride.

But this is about stupid s**t the PO did. Within a week of getting home one headlight went out so I went to get a replacement. S/he had only replaced one (the other was new, brand new...I replaced both.). A few months later it was time for the timing belts. Bet you can't guess how many were replaced? I did two, I'll give you a hint--the PO had only replaced half that many.

Oh, and the radiator was bashed in on the driver side. Not broken, just the fins smashed down in the vicinity of the fan. I was at a loss to explain this until I took the radiator out for a flush and fix. From what I can gather, the PO had taken it out, too, but when he put it back in THEY DIDN'T PUT IT IN ITS MOUNTS. I should clarify, the lower mounts were correct, but I think the guy didn't push the top down and under the upper mount, so it was just resting on the hoses. And the fan. Then they turned the motor over, heard grinding (from the fan whacking the radiator). They then wrestled the radiator in properly, but never fixed the smashed in fins...

But this is about stupid s**t the PO did. Within a week of getting home one headlight went out so I went to get a replacement. S/he had only replaced one (the other was new, brand new...I replaced both.). A few months later it was time for the timing belts. Bet you can't guess how many were replaced? I did two, I'll give you a hint--the PO had only replaced half that many.

I'll never ever understand why, when there is a pair of something on a car, like headlamps & timing belts, a person would replace just one at a time. The parts cost & labor is far less than replacing the 2nd one later on down the line. Just how cheap/lazy can a person be?

Well... when it comes to small things like brakelights or blinkers, replacing one thing at a time can slide. Most deffinately if I had to replace a timing belt I would do both at once. But like a few weeks ago: My tail light went out. The other one was still perfectly fine and its not like they are hard to get to, so I just replaced the one that needed it.

Well... when it comes to small things like brakelights or blinkers, replacing one thing at a time can slide. Most deffinately if I had to replace a timing belt I would do both at once. But like a few weeks ago: My tail light went out. The other one was still perfectly fine and its not like they are hard to get to, so I just replaced the one that needed it.

Tail lights I can understand. The headlight bulbs on an '86 GL, for instance, are a PITA to get to. Best to put in two new bulbs at the same time, but that's just my personal opinion. I like to know that most of the "pairs" on my car are matched and of the same age.

I like things to wear equally. Tires, lights, belts, hoses...there is nothing that bugs me more than going to the store and buying one hose; then going back two weeks later to buy another one. Or light. Especially timing belts--at least the other things you can sorta kinda limp home with (depending on what/how bad they are), but I can't imagine what the PO was thinking "oh I'll just replace the belt that broke after I get it towed home/to the shop"; knowing full well that s/he would have to tow it AGAIN in a few weeks or months because they didn't change BOTH belts. That just strikes me as dumb.

And yes, I expect that if you know enough to change the belts correctly, you know enough to tell if they need replacing, or at least that if one breaks *the other might too!*.

Just my two cents. Oh, and the headlights are a cinch on the Loyale. Just...if one goes out chances are good the other will soon...just save yourself a trip to the store and buy both even if you don't install both at the same time.

I like things to wear equally. Tires, lights, belts, hoses...there is nothing that bugs me more than going to the store and buying one hose; then going back two weeks later to buy another one. Or light. Especially timing belts--at least the other things you can sorta kinda limp home with (depending on what/how bad they are), but I can't imagine what the PO was thinking "oh I'll just replace the belt that broke after I get it towed home/to the shop"; knowing full well that s/he would have to tow it AGAIN in a few weeks or months because they didn't change BOTH belts. That just strikes me as dumb.

And yes, I expect that if you know enough to change the belts correctly, you know enough to tell if they need replacing, or at least that if one breaks *the other might too!*.

Just my two cents. Oh, and the headlights are a cinch on the Loyale. Just...if one goes out chances are good the other will soon...just save yourself a trip to the store and buy both even if you don't install both at the same time.

I agree with all of this. The only things I dont change at the same time are lights, and fuses. Only because I keep spares for all of those. Everything else on the car needs to be changed evenly, not just convenience wise but to prevent damage or uneven wearing to the car.

Okay guys i was saddened by the amount of soobs in the local pick n pull yard (klamath falls OR) so i figured id show you what these previous owners did to their soobs, and here they are securedownload15.jpg[/img]

One out of two XT'S

securedownload16-1.jpg[/img]

One out of 4 to 5 GL-10'S

securedownload17-1.jpg

lots of older ones too

securedownload18.jpg[/img]

Right hand drive legacy(mail car)

securedownload19.jpg

there is tons more probably about 15 to 25 old scoobs mostly sent here with only bad engines or trannys, fixable problems, here i have no shortage of parts for mine when i have the cash! i took a headlight lense of an 86 GL to keep part of it alive cause it was headed to the crusher. cheers everyone!

-Matt

Okay guys i was saddened by the amount of soobs in the local pick n pull yard (klamath falls OR) so i figured id show you what these previous owners did to their soobs, and here they are

[snip pictures]

there is tons more probably about 15 to 25 old scoobs mostly sent here with only bad engines or trannys, fixable problems, here i have no shortage of parts for mine when i have the cash! i took a headlight lense of an 86 GL to keep part of it alive cause it was headed to the crusher. cheers everyone!

-Matt

I think I might cry. :(

Also: how do you know the transmission is bad? Does your yard list the problem/s the car was brought in for?

I think I might cry. :(

Also: how do you know the transmission is bad? Does your yard list the problem/s the car was brought in for?

They write the cars problems on the windshield it will say (bad eng) Or (Bad Trans) so they could have been easily fixed, but they threw em out there to get picked off of and now they all just sit and wait for some love, or to get crushed! its very sad to see it:-\

Last month in our local p'n'p, my friend and I came across a 1gen Legacy that had been consigned to the scrap yard for......... a snapped timing belt. And that's all. It's frustrating to see cars that people just don't want to take the time to do simple repairs on end up that way.

[if I'd had the $$$, that ej22 would be in my backyard right now]

Last month in our local p'n'p, my friend and I came across a 1gen Legacy that had been consigned to the scrap yard for......... a snapped timing belt. And that's all. It's frustrating to see cars that people just don't want to take the time to do simple repairs on end up that way.

[if I'd had the $$$, that ej22 would be in my backyard right now]

Its a shame isnt it? some people just dont wana take the time to fix em:rolleyes:

there is quite a few of ej22s in the pickn pull yard here, newest junked soob there is a 93 impreza i think.. i would like to get an ej,( but i wouldnt know what to do with it or where to begin):lol: maybe one day.

sort of a double post, as I already jotted this under "what have you done..lately?", but...

If one does not have the requisite skills to apply window tint themselves, and apparently even less skill at removing it once damaged, said person should NOT

apply a DIY tint kit and instead take it to a pro, fer krissakes. Just spent the better part of a rather warm morning hour razor blading all of the residue on the rear windows from the PO's piss-poor tint neé tint removal job. At least my glass is now clear :banana:

I remembered another stpodtys, but it requires pictures for full effect. I will try to take some in the next couple days.

In the meanwhile, I had a hell of a moment today that was a stupid thing *I* did to my Subaru. And felt like an rump roast, too.

I spent the weekend at a friend's apartment doing my headgaskets (EA82). It went as well as can be expected all things considered, minus two thunderstorms and police with guns and dogs in the parking lot...they screeched in and yelled "away from the car! AWAY FROM THE CAR!". I was very confused for a minute until I realized they were after someone about four cars down from me. That was an adrenaline rush.

But that wasn't the stupid thing I did. The stupid thing I did was get lazy and, once I got the car running, decided not to put the power steering pump on--I was only going a couple miles on surface streets, and a straight shot at that (no turns).

I also didn't put the A/C compressor on, or the alternator...or the water pump pulley. D'oh. Got about a mile and thought "man the motor is warming up quick!", pulled over...yeah.

The rainstorm melted the box I had the bolts in, and I haven't found the a/c ones yet (part of the motivation to not put the top bits on). Well, I found one in the dark at the gas station in the bad part of town that is between our apartments. And I discovered the small bolt that holds the bottom of the alt to its swing arm fits in one of the small a/c compressor holes, so I strung it together (did I mention it was pitch black except for my phone? and a streetlight?) and got home on three bolts between the a/c and alternator without further incident, though it was a real nailbiter.

I don't *think* I overheated (I was watching the gauge the whole time), but might have--or may have come close. I didn't hear any noises typical of overheating, didn't have any problems, and the engine cooled down to the point I could handle it bare handed in very short order, though the hoses did not--I am hoping the water absorbed enough heat (and I noticed in time) to mitigate any real damage, but only time will tell, I guess. Maybe I will use this as an excuse to get rid of the motor in six months or a year and put in something a little better??? :grin:

Could I Post What the Previous Owner did to my... (Wife's) ...Kia?

...The Timing Belt's Sprocket were Loose and the Previous Owner (or its Mechanic, I Don't Know), instead of Obtaining it New, or at least a Good used one, did This:

HPIM7676.jpg

With That Stupid Idea of Welding the Sprocket to the Crankshaft, not only the Sprocket wasn't well alligned (Making the Main Pulley to "Dancing"-Wiggling- as it is attached to the Sprocket) but also the Welding Burnt the Oil Seal there!!! :banghead: ...

Here's the Thread:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105337&page=5

Kind Regards.

Ok, here's a list.

My 83 Wagon.

Disassembled the air cleaner and all associated vacuum hoses and decided to

reorganize some of them. (Got to fix some of that in a dark rainy walmart

parking lot after being carded to buy carb cleaner. WTF?)

He used/misplaced almost all of the right bolts for the air cleaner assembly.

Failed to replace several important vacuum hoses

Pulled/cut out the center of the thermostat to hide a leaking HG

Somehow killed an HG in an EA81 with less than 200k.

I'm sure there's more I haven't discovered yet.

Twitch

But that wasn't the stupid thing I did. The stupid thing I did was get lazy and, once I got the car running, decided not to put the power steering pump on--I was only going a couple miles on surface streets, and a straight shot at that (no turns).

I also didn't put the A/C compressor on, or the alternator...or the water pump pulley. D'oh. Got about a mile and thought "man the motor is warming up quick!", pulled over...yeah.

I should clarify so I don't sound completely incompetent (just forgetful). I didn't want to mess with the power steering and A/C compressor, I just wanted to get home, being tired and having worked 60 hours on top of doing the heads that same week. I *forgot* these things hold the belt for the water pump (the water pump was already on). This is as opposed to intentionally *skipping* the water pump. Ok, my hole is probably no shallower, but I feel better about it. (I still haven't found any of those damn bolts btw, I think I'm taking the bus to the junkyard this weekend).

And I'll see if I can get pictures to explain the dumb thing the PO did.