Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 GL Convertible

I've had this car for a number of years. Mostly not running. I don't want to do a new top if it won't run when I want to drive it and I want to drive it every day. Am I crazy? Should I just sell it now and walk away? It's now an antique. What's it's value going to be if I fix it up?

I've had this car for a number of years. Mostly not running. I don't want to do a new top if it won't run when I want to drive it and I want to drive it every day. Am I crazy? Should I just sell it now and walk away? It's now an antique. What's it's value going to be if I fix it up?

It will never run again, you should sell it to me for $50. Seriously tons of people here would love to get their hands on your car. Don't know the value. they are super rare. Post a picture please!

I have a feeling that a 83 convert in Florida will have some serious rust issues.

rust on a florida car ? my boss has a 83 f350 he bought from a fisherman last year down in FL. frame is practiaclly spotless. sheeet , ive seen 2 year old cars here in maine with rust starting.

Florida has salt water on 2 sides.

I've seen the results of what that can do.

We even had a member here with a late 80's sedan that you could put your fist thru some of the panels.

Found the thread...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78292

Yep, that looks exactly like an ex girflriend's old 84 Civic from Florida.....the roof rails were gone, who needed windows to see out, it was that bad.

But we are speculating before even seeing pics. Let the pics do the talking i hope

Florida has salt water on 2 sides...

I know, the coasts, the ocean... (I've been there, I Drove from Miami to Key West and back, also from Miami to Orlando in year 2001, in my auntie's Honda Accord) ...but I Didn't realize that ocean breeze could be so damaging... :eek: ... thanks for the Link to that thread.

Kind Regards.

that's the second convertible that I'm aware of in florida.

aren't the convertibles sedans that were modified by a dealer in california?

and yes, no salt no snow. and no seasons just hot and cold. lol

there were two aftermarket companies that did the conversions if i remember right. They were all done to 2 door EA81 coupes. They all looked terrible with the top up (my opinion) but with the top down looked really good.

i have seen 2 blue gl convertibles at the same lot in massachusetts . the guy had a barn full of subaru parts. sold me a brat bed full of stuff for $50. and 2 wooden steering wheels for $50 each....

he saaid 50 were given to new england dealers from Ernie Boch who is a huge dealership chain.