Ultimate Subaru Message Board

horrable rattle coming from engine??

so when you start it when its cold, there is this nasty loud rattle that comes from the engine. eventually, the rattle goes away when the car warms up. well i was driving it home on the interstate tonight, and the rattle started doing it really really bad and extremely loud at rpms over 3000. what is this? its not really a knock, its a rattle like the exhaust pipe is loose or something but its coming from the motor.

there's a lot of different possibilities, need to narrow it down more.

if it's doing it at first start up, that makes it really really easy to track down, just open the hood or crawl under it while it's making the noise.

heat shields are a really good possibility. start there and inform us as you rule those out.

front or rear of engine, left or right?

Key Words:

... eventually, the rattle goes away when the car warms up...

That sounds to me as the "Tick of Death" sound like if your engine has a very Low Oil Pressure and / or is using a Monograde or thick oil.

Could you let us know which kind of Oil is your Subie's engine Using?

Maybe is time for a Engine internals cleanup.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

its an 88 SPFI 1.8L ea2. yes, 4wd wouldn't own it if it wasn't! thanks for the offer Quidam, there is a guy in my area who loves working on these old Subaru's, and the mechanic said he might have one laying around. i will keep your offer in mind if i do need one.