Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 subaru svx Transmission ??

I have a good Auto out of a 96 2.5 DOHC Legacy Outback. I have the chance to pick up the 95 svx at a reasonable price.

I believe the trany should bolt right in but will it plug and play?

I do have the rear diff to swap over as well.

Thanks, Larry

Pretty sure it will plug in - if not directly then using the harness off the old SVX tranny.

But you will either want to swap the front diff over to the new tranny or go with a custom TCU - the final drive on the SVX is a LOT different than that 4.444 outback tranny and is going to cause shift point problems if you try to use it and the rear diff from the outback without a TCU reprogram. Maybe the TCU from the Outback would work?

I'm sure some combination will get you down the road. And a 4.444 final drive SVX is a sexy idea indeed :clap:. Though a 5MT swap is even better.

GD

i think the SVX has an 11 tooth pinion,(legacy and outback have 9 or 10) with a 39 tooth ring gear for a 3.5454 final drive ratio. iirc. that's really different than the outback.

plus it has a viscous LSD ???

a 3.9 auto trans from an early 90s (92 - 94?) would be a lot closer.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/svx/us_c12/type_2/train/differential_individual/

Edited by johnceggleston

I found my SVX to have a different automatic transmission to my Liberty/Legacy. The differences I can see from the outside it the way the rear mount attaches to the box. Different angles and mounting holes. The closest (to my SVX) I've seen in the Subaru range is the Legacy Twin Turbo (gen3).

But as for whether or not they work the same, is a trail and error (IMO)