Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I know this is an old topic, but this one perhaps a little more specific?

I know NGK plugs are the way to go, but when I look on ebay I see

a few different ones for sale. Model numbers:

BKR6E11

seem like the good old fashioned ones.

Then there are the Iridiums?

Any preference as to best for a 95 Legacy Station wagon?

Thanks much all.

'97

As far as I can tell BKR6E11 and 2756 are the same part.

I would go with these, they are the basic copper plugs and work great. No reason to go with expensive long life ones unless you have a 2.5l which I dont think any '95 legacy has. That engine has plugs that are hard to get to if I remember right.

As far as I can tell BKR6E11 and 2756 are the same part.

I would go with these, they are the basic copper plugs and work great. No reason to go with expensive long life ones unless you have a 2.5l which I dont think any '95 legacy has. That engine has plugs that are hard to get to if I remember right.

You remember right!

I have a 95, 2.2 motor in my 98. I just bought plugs this morning. I bought the Bosch Platinum 2 plugs, model #4303. I have had excellent service from the Bosch plugs. About $17 from Walmart, with a $6 mail in rebate, brings cost down to about $11. To me, they are a great value.

I just get the NGK ones BKR6E11 which cost here about 3 euros per piece. Although NGK says I should use LPG6E11 since i run on LPG but those cost a whopping 20 euros per piece. Good old fashion copper will do for me.

I am always afraid of putting plugs in and over torque them so usually buy new ones and tighten them by hand and followed by the half turn to squeeze the ring (according to NGK instructions). My torque wrench goes from 20 to 200 and I thought spark plugs was 15 F/P

I suggest the 2 dollar NGK's with the Green writing that are U groove.

I'm an old VW guy. And I've seen more problems with particularly Bosch Platinums (and other exotic metals and brands) on Subaru, VW, Volvo's.

Don't overthink it.

More expensive isn't always better for a specific application. The BKR6E11's are what I'd recommend. Just make SURE you don't end up with the 2 dollar NGK's with Blue lettering and no U groove. The wasted spark ignition system doesn't seem to like them as much perhaps.

I'm using NGK G-Power platinum plugs #BKR6EGP. They're not expensive...I think that they're no more than $3 a piece.

Smooth, responsive power in my 2000 Legacy wih these installed. I've also got NGK SP wires as well.

I always smear some anti seize compound on the plugs' threads before installing them....makes for easy removal later on. I don't use a torque wrench but tighten by hand; never had a problem with overtightening

You remember right!

I have a 95, 2.2 motor in my 98. I just bought plugs this morning. I bought the Bosch Platinum 2 plugs, model #4303. I have had excellent service from the Bosch plugs. About $17 from Walmart, with a $6 mail in rebate, brings cost down to about $11. To me, they are a great value.

Many people here say no to Bosch platinum but I've had good results with them. I've used 2 sets of cheapest Bosch platinum like Rooster2 said with no issues. Mine is a 96 2.5 and I think I used Bosch 4202. Had to reduce the gap.

You remember right!

If I remember correctly, last time I bought my NGK's they were $1.75 each; that's $7 for all four without the hassle of a rebate:clap:. Also, in 12 years and 10 Subarus in our family, I have never had an NGK plug fail. BKR6E11 plug is the correct one for the EJ22 engine (and most of the older EA engines if I remember correctly). R stands for a resistor plug; 6 is the heat range; and the 11 indicates they come pre-gapped. Not sure what the other letters indicate. Also, my recollection is the number is a BKR6ES11; but both versions are appropriate for your car. Edited by edrach

If I remember correctly, last time I bought my NGK's they were $1.75 each; that's $7 for all four without the hassle of a rebate:clap:. Also, in 12 years and 10 Subarus in our family, I have never had an NGK plug fail. BKR6E11 plug is the correct one for the EJ22 engine (and most of the older EA engines if I remember correctly). R stands for a resistor plug; 6 is the heat range; and the 11 indicates they come pre-gapped. Not sure what the other letters indicate. Also, my recollection is the number is a BKR6ES11; but both versions are appropriate for your car.

If the weather holds, I will install plugs and wires tomorrow. Currently running on plugs and wires that came with motor from wrecking yard. Who knows what they are, or in what condition. Motor runs okay, but loops a little, and idle just a little harsh. Hopefully, the tune up will smooth out performance. I will let you all know.

BKR6E11 plug is the correct one for the EJ22 engine (and most of the older EA engines if I remember correctly). R stands for a resistor plug; 6 is the heat range; and the 11 indicates they come pre-gapped. Not sure what the other letters indicate. Also, my recollection is the number is a BKR6ES11; but both versions are appropriate for your car.

NGK plug nomenclature: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/partnumberkey.pdf

BKR6ES11 have a standard copper electrode

BKR6E11 have a copper V-Groove electrode

I've run both in addition to other copper plugs (Bosch 7557/FR8DCX and Champion 346/RC10YC4) and have not noticed any differences in performance or fuel efficiency. The only thing I've seen is that the BKR6E11 with the V-Groove seem to wear a bit faster.

I'd stick with copper because I'd always want to pull them off every 30K miles to see their condition. In a pinch, you could even regap and reinstall them.

Fancier plugs wear more slowly, but they don't perform as well as copper. Copper conducts both electricity and heat better than both platinum and iridium, but you just need to either replace or regap them more often. It's not unusual to see platinum plugs specified for cars, like the Phase I 2.5, on which it's a major chore to swap them out.

So unless you live in Alaska or the Arizona desert, stick with a copper plug in the specified heat range.