Ultimate Subaru Message Board

refinish wheels?

most, if not all bodyshops, outsource their blasting. Reason= you sure as heck don't want fine dusty grit, sand getting into your paintbooth when you are painting something you want look nice.

And sandblasting is very nasty stuff, not just like sanding a car for paint, in sandblasting, the stuff gets everywhere....and i mean everywhere. not good for a paint environment

depends on how bad they are. I had some that were terrible and no way a wire wheel would clean them up they looked like they sat in the bottom of the ocean for years... So i had them blasted but painted myself.

You are not in the rust belt for salt, so i would think a wire wheel and some elbow grease, followed by some rustoleum will suit you just fine.

Edited by bheinen74

if you do hire a shop to blast them down, that is prep worthy of investing in a powdercoat finish.

otherwise to do it cheap, get a wire wheel both for a dill and an angle grinder, and paint them with a wheel paint or some sort of epoxy appliance paint

Talk to GD :) hes got a new sandblast cabinent and Im sure hed sand-blast them, and then you can spray them... if you are good/even with spray paint they can come out looking REALLY good...

Id do it on the cheap end if youre dealing with 13" ones... unless rare, they just arent worth a ton of money...

I would probably not even do a professional job on a set of peugeots unless they were gonna be permanent on my car... buuuuutttttt.... I want the 5 spoke LGT wheels off the newer ones :D those in black will look sick on my EA82

Talk to GD :) hes got a new sandblast cabinent and Im sure hed sand-blast them

*Glass bead* is what I run. Sand is much too coarse for alloy.

I think shipping from/to Alabama would probably kill the deal for him. Thanks for thinking of me though :).

After blasting - find a place that does "coatings" - the guys I use do lots and lots of teflon. They also do powder coat and it's about $25 per rim.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I've had alloy 15" and 16" wheels done. Place I go to is in an industrial area and has a sand blasting shop across the street. GD is correct about glass beading for alloy but sandblasting is okay for steel. It was about $20/wheel to prep them for the powder coat and ran $60/wheel to powder coat the wheels. Find a local shop; there must be someone in your area that does this type of work. You won't be sorry. I had a set of wagon wheels done 10 years ago for our first Brat and they still look good after a little bit of clean up.

I just got started on a set this past fall doing it myself but got to cold out before I could finish them. I might suggest spraying them with an aresol stripper first, cuts right through the factory paint. Then scrape the excess of with an old scraper. Wear gloves, that stuff burns like hell, ecpecially in cuts in your hands. Then start going at them with the wire wheel. Are these wheels the curved spoke or flat? If curved, maybe get your hands on a Dremel tool with a smaller wire wheel for the tight spots. Don't know how much experience you have if spray painting stuff but don't forget to clean them with something before putting on any primer and paint. Hope any of this helps.:D

*Glass bead* is what I run. Sand is much too coarse for alloy.

I think shipping from/to Alabama would probably kill the deal for him. Thanks for thinking of me though :).

After blasting - find a place that does "coatings" - the guys I use do lots and lots of teflon. They also do powder coat and it's about $25 per rim.

GD

I appreciate all the input.

and yeah GD is way to far away from me.

;)

I think I like the wire wheel rusoleum plan.

when all is said and done this car will be 5 lug. maybe next year? (been saying that for 2 years now though) :D

Oh god. I must of been tired. I coulda sworn your location was Forest Grove... Oops... what a fail on my behalf. :clap: