Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 6lug swap? Or re-drill 6lug rims to fit 4lug hubs?

Prwa101

Drill the rims = 8 holes

Drill the hubs = 16 holes + cost of installing studs.

I personally am fine drilling the rims. Granted, it limits the selection, as you need to use steel, and with a flat center. But, If you happen to need a new hub in the future, you can just throw another one on.

If you mess up drilling the rims, you can simply start over and drill again between the other holes.

The only time I would drill hubs for 6 lug would be on a "street" subaru, where you want to run an alloy rim with a lowprofile.

For wheeling it's way simpler, and cheaper to drill wheels. And If your subaru needs replacment hubs, you can bolt them on without having to modify again.

Drill the rims = 8 holes

Drill the hubs = 16 holes + cost of installing studs.

I personally am fine drilling the rims. Granted, it limits the selection, as you need to use steel, and with a flat center. But, If you happen to need a new hub in the future, you can just throw another one on.

If you mess up drilling the rims, you can simply start over and drill again between the other holes.

The only time I would drill hubs for 6 lug would be on a "street" subaru, where you want to run an alloy rim with a lowprofile.

For wheeling it's way simpler, and cheaper to drill wheels. And If your subaru needs replacment hubs, you can bolt them on without having to modify again.

Very good points! Thanks! Yeah it going on a wheeler, I don't care how it look and drilling hubs I've heard from my buddy can be a pain.

And drilling the wheels can make it so thy fit on any older Subaru too.

Thanks!

Prwa.

Take an old hub or drum, and hammer 2 studs out.

Then bolt it to you're rim, and then use the 2 open holes to mark your spot to drill.

I actually leave the hub bolted on and use it as a guide, drilling straight though with a 9/16 bit. Warning, if you do this....the hub might not want to hold a stud anymore....so use a junk one you don't need again later.

Then bolt it to you're rim, and then use the 2 open holes to mark your spot to drill.

I actually leave the hub bolted on and use it as a guide, drilling straight though with a 9/16 bit. Warning, if you do this....the hub might not want to hold a stud anymore....so use a junk one you don't need again later.

Ya I had already pulled off one hub to start the 6lug swap, so I got 2studs already out for that. but Fd upp the studs and it was to much of a pain just to get the studs out. So that's why I thought of just drilling the rims intakes. So I'll just got to the junk yard to get a used hub, so I don't have to buy studs and put them in.

Prwa

You can do this with the hubs too. Ask the front hubs on my Brat :-p

I just feel like drilling the wheels is half-assing it.

I borrowed a benchtop drill press from a buddy, and it was a breeze. Some grinding on the hub, and a little bit on the studs.

Also, I only bought 8 studs. I reused the studs that I pulled out for the other 8.

I think it depends on what you have. I only have (had...) one 4-lug subaru. And I have 4 sets of toyota wheels, 2 of them are alloys. So I have no use for 4-lug wheels. And by modifying the hubs, I can use any of those wheels (well, I bet the set with the 35s on it won't fit, but not because of the lug pattern.... :grin: )

Edited by Numbchux

You can do this with the hubs too. Ask the front hubs on my Brat :-p

I just feel like drilling the hubs is half-assing it.

I borrowed a benchtop drill press from a buddy, and it was a breeze. Some grinding on the hub, and a little bit on the studs.

Also, I only bought 8 studs. I reused the studs that I pulled out for the other 8.

I think it depends on what you have. I only have (had...) one 4-lug subaru. And I have 4 sets of toyota wheels, 2 of them are alloys. So I have no use for 4-lug wheels. And by modifying the hubs, I can use any of those wheels (well, I bet the set with the 35s on it won't fit, but not because of the lug pattern.... :grin: )

Good point, but I only have one 4lug Subaru, and one set of steel yoter rims. And don't have time to pull the drums and hubs off to drill them. Maybe down the road I'll swap it completely depending on $$. I need to save for up an ej addaptor plate now.

Thanks guys!

• 5 weeks later...

so if you hammer the studs out the hub might not want to hold the stud again? and when drilling a hole in the hub, do you have to chamfer the back of the hub at all for the stud to lock in good or will one 9/16 hole work with any stud? i want to drill out the hubs on my 88 GL to fit my new alloy 15"s (6x5.5 pattern)

I dont have experience redrilling either... but it depends on your local tire shops....

Here in Hillsboro, an old acquaintance had an 86 GL with re-drilled 6 lug wheels. He got a flat, and we went to a few tire companies to get new tires (which it needed) and to repair the flat... none of them would touch them.

"Because of liability, we cannot put wheels that were re-drilled back on this vehicle. The structure has been compromised by the re-drill." We said that the vehicle had 30K on the re-drill and did just fine and we were told that compromising our own safety was our deal, but they would not mount them because it would compromise someone elses safety and be their liability.

What we had to do was put the car on jackstands, take the tires off the car, go get new tires put on and mount the rims ourself. Which wasnt that big of a deal, but it required a lot more work than originally planned. Not sure if this will be a problem for you or not, but do consider it.

• 2 weeks later...

When drilling either rims or hubs, I'm wondering what people are doing about the difference in bolt diameter.

I got some 6-lug toyota wheels. The bolt hole diameter is larger than the stock soob wheels.

Is it possible to get wider lug nuts for the stock stud size or is everyone drilling all of the holes out to a larger diameter than stock?

When drilling either rims or hubs, I'm wondering what people are doing about the difference in bolt diameter.

I got some 6-lug toyota wheels. The bolt hole diameter is larger than the stock soob wheels.

Is it possible to get wider lug nuts for the stock stud size or is everyone drilling all of the holes out to a larger diameter than stock?

I havnt done mine yet but, I'm pretty sure when drilling the rims your goin to want to drill the new yotarim holes as if it were the stock rim for the car, to make a tighter fit.

And your only drilling two new hole in the rims, to fit you 4lug sub.

As long as the stock lug nuts arnt really small and fall through the larger rim hole. It should be fine.

And I'm pretty sure you could but a larger set of lug nuts. Prolly could find them online.

Prwa

You can get lugnuts that have a "shoulder" on them on the beveled end. Use these nuts on the toyota holes. You only need 8 of these.

Use your original Lugnuts flipped over on the 2 redrilled holes. So the flat side will be against the rim. If you try to bevel these holes, you will end up pulling the wheel off center, or clamping with just one edge of the nut (because it's unlikely that your new holes will be exactly perfect)

Tighten the shouldered nuts in the toyota holes first. Then tighten the other 2 as clamping force. So the factory beveled holes will center it, and the other holes will be clamped tight by the flat side of the flipped over nuts.

Toyotas use the same diameter lug stud as subaru (12mm, although toyota uses a 1.5 pitch, and subaru uses a 1.25). BUT, some alloys require a shank, or mag, style lug nut, as they have a much larger hole, and no conical seat.

like this:

2028992-007.jpg

If that is the kind of wheel you are using, you will need to find a set of these style lug nuts, with a subaru thread pitch (or, use 12x1.5 studs).

You can get lugnuts that have a "shoulder" on them on the beveled end. Use these nuts on the toyota holes. You only need 8 of these.

Use your original Lugnuts flipped over on the 2 redrilled holes. So the flat side will be against the rim. If you try to bevel these holes, you will end up pulling the wheel off center, or clamping with just one edge of the nut (because it's unlikely that your new holes will be exactly perfect)

Tighten the shouldered nuts in the toyota holes first. Then tighten the other 2 as clamping force. So the factory beveled holes will center it, and the other holes will be clamped tight by the flat side of the flipped over nuts.

I assume you are talking about drilling new holes in the rims and...

Toyotas use the same diameter lug stud as subaru (12mm, although toyota uses a 1.5 pitch, and subaru uses a 1.25). BUT, some alloys require a shank, or mag, style lug nut, as they have a much larger hole, and no conical seat.

like this:

If that is the kind of wheel you are using, you will need to find a set of these style lug nuts, with a subaru thread pitch (or, use 12x1.5 studs).

You are talking about drilling new holes in the hubs.

I have a set of steel rims. I figured I might give drilling the hubs a go since I have a drill press and considering some of the other things you've all mentioned. But I haven't really looked at every thing too hard yet.

Thanks for the info. It all makes sense.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...