Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alternative fuel pump?

is there any way a guy could put like a holly inline fuel pump in and get rid of the subaru one? i haven't looked under my car to check it out, but its got 260xxx and i dont think its ever been changed, and i think its going out. when i turn the blinkers on, hit the brakes, you hear it bog down or it goes with blinker if that makes sense. i would rather go get a cheap inline pump at a parts store than go get a dirty nasty junkyard one that could go out again and deal with crawling under it in the dirt.

Not as cheap as a junkyard, but OEM fuel pumps are still sold new. If you can find an alternative that fits the hoses and produces the right pressure, the wiring would (probably) not be too hard. If you go with a completely different pump your chances of having to re-plumb the whole system (as well as get it to play nice with the ECU) go way up.

I believe NAPA sells them, among others.

First of all - what type of pump do you have? Carb or fuel injected? Model and year would be helpful also :confused:

And second - why would you think it's going out? An electrical draw causing the engine to change pitch is not a symptom of a failing fuel pump. That conclusion is not based on science - you need to determine to problem - not guess at the problem and throw $250 parts at it....

If I were you I would be looking at your alternator and electrical system. To test the fuel pump - check the fuel pressure.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

i think its going out because most people tell me when the pump goes with the blinker, or bogs down when the brakes lights go on, it is drawing too much amps and is on its way out. im not gonna go put one anyways, im gonna run it until it actually goes out, i was just curious if anyone has done this for when it does go out. its a 88 gl with the 1.8 spfi in it.

My SPFI does this too. I bet all cars do it to some extent, these just have really loud pumps.

If you watch the voltage gauge on the dash it probably dances up and down with the blinker. If you rev the engine up to about 1500 RPMs it will probably stop fluctuating the voltage because the alternator is putting out more juice.

It has more to do with bad wiring than anything else. I've had to re-wire some stuff in my car due to corroded wires, or just upping the gauge so I didn't get voltage drop.

i think its going out because most people tell me when the pump goes with the blinker, or bogs down when the brakes lights go on, it is drawing too much amps and is on its way out.

You cannot draw that conclusion from those symptoms and anecdotal evidence. That's not science. That's guessing.

Why don't you check how many amps it's drawing?

GD