Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 RX: Tuning Time... AWD or 2wd dyno?

Ok guys, here is the deal. The car is an '87 RX with mods out the kazoo. I'd like to throw her on a dyno and tune it. Quicker and safer than many hours of street tuning.

Not far from me, I have an AWD dyno. They charge $150 for the first hour... and $100 an hour after that. They have general tuning skils, we could probally get the car dialed in with all of us working on it.

I also have several 2wd dyno's around. One north of me (Little Monsters) that of recent has become a very big player in the local import scene. Everyone I talk to says these are the guys to go see. Supposed to be about $80-$100 an hour I guess, haven't gotten any solid prices yet.

The other 2wd dyno is having a dyno day with some Dodge SRT-4's in April. I could get in for $50. Not sure how much time that gives me (thinking an hour...).

Now, here is the question. If I pull the rear axles, lock the center diff, and run the car in FWD on a dyno to tune it would it work? The level of load on the engine theoretically will be less... but maybe not. I'm tuning strictly by air/fuel mixture. If I invest in getting a 2wd dyno tune will it be a waste of money?

Your thoughts and opinions?

awd vs 2wd dyno.

if you unbolt the drive shaft and ran 2wd there would be little to no change in how you tune it. all you need to do is be able to load the motor. it does not care how many tires are spinning.

if the guys with the simpler 2wd dyno are better and cheaper I would go to them.

rallyruss, if you unbolt the driveline, you'd better remove it, this is a Full Time 4WD tranny and the driveline will spin if still connected to the tranny.

Tex, yes you will need to lock the center diff if you choose to do a 2WD test.

But on a Full Time 4WD or an AWD car, it is best to use an AWD dyno.

I wonder how the diff lock is going to cope with 100% of the power under extended full load, especially with all your mods. Under normal use the lock would only see full load if one axel has zero traction and the other has solid grip, a rare occurrence, I wonder if its up to the task.

Just a thought

Gary

good point about the diff lock strength. may not be worth risking it.

DR RX I understand what your saying. I should have been more specific. I mean the flange behind the center support bearing. just disconnect the rear section from the front and let the drive shaft spin in the bearing like usual

ok im swingin to the awd dyno side a bit. I still think that 2wd would be possible.

• 6 months later...

I still haven't gotten to the dyno yet. SOmething about blowing a motor and redoing the suspension and brakes...

I'm actually waiting till I have all the stuff together before I dyno. In the mean time i'm trying to save what cash I can. Dyno+tune is going to be in the $500 range or so. I may take my car to Rallitek and have it done, or talk to the guys at PDXtuning. But those 2 options are in portland, and i'm in seattle.

• 1 month later...
Wouldn't the 2wd read higher because of less driveline loss?

Old Postay Bumpity!

Yes, it should! How much is a question. Even still, as long as he consistantly dyno in 2wd, then it'd be cool. You're just trying to find out where you are at and where you came from when you did a baseline dyno.

Maybe I'll dug up an older issue of Sport Compact Car...but they took a 200X 4WD ranger with the 4.0L V6 and took it to a bunch of different dynos to test the difference in RWD mode vs 4WD mode...

From what I recall there was a difference in the readings...I just don't recall all the details.

They may still have the article on their website...checking...

Eh, they don't seem to have it up on their site. If anyone is really interested I'll dig up the issue and post some info here.

Old Postay Bumpity!

Yes, it should! How much is a question. Even still, as long as he consistantly dyno in 2wd, then it'd be cool. You're just trying to find out where you are at and where you came from when you did a baseline dyno.

i believe that to be correct to a point. You are still spinning the entire 4wd section of the transmission, which is where the most loss occures. the only thing you aren't spinning is the rear diff...it's not too much of a difference i would believe.

Maybe I'll dug up an older issue of Sport Compact Car...but they took a 200X 4WD ranger with the 4.0L V6 and took it to a bunch of different dynos to test the difference in RWD mode vs 4WD mode...

From what I recall there was a difference in the readings...I just don't recall all the details.

They may still have the article on their website...checking...

Eh, they don't seem to have it up on their site. If anyone is really interested I'll dig up the issue and post some info here.

I miss the days when SCC used to post a whole bunch of dyno information on project cars. It seems now that they've gotten their own dyno, you don't see much of it going on anymore. That's the only reason why I don't subscribe anymore. I just want to know what stuff works and by how much.

I miss the days when SCC used to post a whole bunch of dyno information on project cars. It seems now that they've gotten their own dyno, you don't see much of it going on anymore. That's the only reason why I don't subscribe anymore. I just want to know what stuff works and by how much.

I too miss the older SCC days. I remember when the USCC was full of cobbled together machines that usually blew up before the end of testing. Now it's these huge power monsters that are beyond 90% of the normal human tuner population.

It's funny how Shiv's articles stopped appearing too ;) I wonder what happened to his RS...and his RX-7.

Kevin...you are the guy with that white OBS with black racing stripes, right? Weren't you in that group that had that meet with the 22B? Man...talk about old school hotness.

PS: I'm dcrawford on I-club...er...NASIOC...whatever. :D

Kevin...you are the guy with that white OBS with black racing stripes, right? Weren't you in that group that had that meet with the 22B? Man...talk about old school hotness.

PS: I'm dcrawford on I-club...er...NASIOC...whatever. :D

Dcrawford, Hey what's up? :drunk: I didn't realize this was you. Yeah, I still have the OBS but it's N/A now. I got this thing for old school subbies I can't shake. I know this is getting off topic but I still remember your infamous intake air temperature data that I have saved up on my hard drive at home (I'm at work). I've never forgotten those.....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166611&highlight=intake

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169520&highlight=intake

Too this day, I'm STILL blown away at how effective a throttle body mounted air filter is and how cold the air gets. Yet people still argue over the data and don't utilize it. Let me get a MAP based scooby. :brow:

Glad to see you over here. I've been here forever as well (See member join date) but I just recently have become more active on the board. Glad to see you are still hanging around. :grin: Any new news?

Dcrawford, Hey what's up? :drunk: I didn't realize this was you. Yeah, I still have the OBS but it's N/A now. I got this thing for old school subbies I can't shake. I know this is getting off topic but I still remember your infamous intake air temperature data that I have saved up on my hard drive at home (I'm at work). I've never forgotten that. Glad to see you over here. I've been here forever as well (See member join date) but I just recently have become more active on the board. Glad to see you still hanging around. :grin:
Nice! I thought it was you!

Yeah that intake testing was a blast. Man we really got into that. Good times. I saw someone who rigged up their outside temp sensor into their intake track here. That would have made things a bit easier for sure.

My RS is gone now...sold to some 16 year old kid in San Francisco. It's probably...ugh, don't even want to think about what's happened to it.

I've got an '86 GL-10 now and loving it. Every time I fix one thing I find something else wrong though. Hopefully I'll catch up sometime soon here. Oddly enough I like this one more than the RS. Sure the RS was pretty, but this one is more "fun" to mess with. Woot!

HOLY CARP! That was over 2 years ago? DAMN!

Yeah that intake testing was a blast. Man we really got into that. Good times. I saw someone who rigged up their outside temp sensor into their intake track here. That would have made things a bit easier for sure.

That was me. :brow: It was the wrong probe though. The probe I was looking for on my XT6 is actually near my foglight, not the power steering pump although the FSM states one is a 'temp sensor' and the other is the 'outside temp sensor'. I got confused. I'll be changing it when I get the XT6 back on the road (mysterious battery draining problem).

You need to get started on your car with some Techworks sexiness. :-p