Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats your gas mileage with what mods?

86 GL EA82 4X4 Wagon...haven't done a lot but what I have done is listed below...

* Weber DGEV EC carb

* 2 1/2" exhaust from the header all the way to the back with a Cherry Bomb

on the end

That's it so far....I drive 75% hwy/25% in town and I'm getting 30MPG...

I also have a 77 Leone 4X4 Wagon, no mods to it yet....

I forgot to post mine.

1986 Subaru gl10 turbo (still has air suspension). Have turbo back exhaust with fart can, and specter cold air intake. And front skid plate.

35-36 highway. City I'm getting around 29. (this is mountain driving as well) with 4 studded snow tires!

Edited by shortysayhi

i got a 95 legacy wagon ej22e

mods: spectre cold air intake routed into the bumper through pass. fender.

and fart can exhaust (lol)

and i run synthetic

i get around 25 highway and 20 city.

im also hauling a constant 200lbs of stereo in the back......

i have also found that if i put in injector cleaner or dry gas i burn up the tank QUICK.....

i usually get in between 200-235 miles per tank ( 10 gallon tank)

just replaced fuel filter and did tune up with ngk platinums and some pep boys wires and noticed a couple more mpg ( as long as i dont have my foot buried in it :brow: )

also noticed when im pulling alot of current from my alternator it uses a good amount of gas im guessing from increased drag on the engine....i use every bit of the 85 amps it puts out..... i got 4 guage wiring off the alt to the front battery and to the 2 batteries in the hatch.

hope this long a** post helps :)

'84 wagon, with weber carb, 2 inch snorkel, accel coil, new dissy, I run 30 miles of freeway each way every day on 215/35/R15 hankook MT's with the rear-end locked, to lazy to take out the axel every weekend. Also has the older 4 speed tranny, I get right at 23/25 highway and little less around town

1986 BRAT

HLA EA81

Weber DGAV 32/32

EA81 5spd D/R

EGR ports blocked off

All (and I mean all) emission crap gone.

Straight exhaust going to a cherry bomb in the back (sound nice and rumbly)

Highway 29.6mpg at an avg of 70 mph

In town about 24ish mpg

1983 Automatic Brat GL

The best mpg-boosting mod I did was switching to a manual. went from 18mpg to 22mpg... and has since dropped back down due to the engine being in, well, we'll just say "poor" shape. (87 GL Coupe, 4wd, carb)

My dad's unmodified 88 GL, fwd, MPFI EA82, 5-speed, gets between 36-41mpg. That thing gets over 400miles/tank.

my 84GL has 230k miles, 4 speed, a weber DGEV with a port matched adapter, 2.25" pipes back from the gutted cat with a Thrush turbo muffler at the end. with 195x75-14 BFGs I calculated an average of 26 mpg. about 60% highway, 30% in town, and 10% 4low dirt road hill climb every day.

my foot is always in the carb too. :burnout:

...My dad's unmodified 88 GL, fwd, MPFI EA82, 5-speed, gets between 36-41mpg. That thing gets over 400miles/tank.

The FWD 5MT models came with Gear relations so High that their RPM's will drop very low on Higher Gears...

My EA82 BumbleBeast is like That, 5MT FWD and it has a 32/36 Weber Carb and Free Flow 2" Exhaust pipe with No Cat nor "Y" pipe Filter and the Silencer is just an Empty Box filled with Sound Supressant Fiberglass.

Runnin' on 205/60 R15 Tires makes it to made around 35 Mpg average of Mixed Driving but if I only Drive it on Highways, at cruise Speed in Fifth Gear, the RPM's drop and it makes more than 40 Mpg... if I Drive it alone.

But if I drive it Loaded (Five persons in total, plus luggage) it will reduce the Mpg's to 28, Specially due to our Steep hills and the Fact that I Need to Downshift, even to Second Gear, very Frequently.

Kind Regards.

1994 Loyale Wagon, EA82 5MT

235,000 miles on original engine, no rebuild.

Summer Mileage 36-40MPG combined highway (75%) and city (25%)

Winter Mileage 30-34MPG combined highway & city. Colder temps & heavier foot, going skiing 2-3 times per week so I'm driving faster to save time.

Fuel log: http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=3436

graph3436.gif

Modifications:

• Removed power steering pump, drained & capped lines
  • Removed clutching fan, installed second electric fan
  • Installed kill switch on fuel injector for engine-off coasting
  • Installed vacuum gauge, target 15 in.Hg cruise & 5 in.Hg acceleration
  • Installed potentiometer across coolant temp sensor to trick the computer into closed-loop earlier
  • Installed heated oxygen sensor (Bosch) for earlier closed-loop and proper functioning after engine-off coasting
  • Installed block heater
  • Removed A/C fuse so it doesn't come on when I hit the defrost button. Put the fuse back in the car in June
  • Installed lower grill block, reducing air flow into the radiator
  • Synthetic engine oil, transmission oil, diff oil, & wheel bearing grease
  • Installed restrictor in Idle Air Control Valve inlet line to prevent 2000rpm idle surges. Now it idles at 750 and occasionally bumps up to 1000.
  • Removed mudflaps

I still want to make an undertray, I just have to find the time and fix these oil leaks first...

Edited by dennyt

The best mpg-boosting mod I did was switching to a manual. went from 18mpg to 22mpg... and has since dropped back down due to the engine being in, well, we'll just say "poor" shape. (87 GL Coupe, 4wd, carb)

My dad's unmodified 88 GL, fwd, MPFI EA82, 5-speed, gets between 36-41mpg. That thing gets over 400miles/tank.

But I bought it specifically because it was an automatic :P

I am in the process or rebuilding another automatic Brat so once I can track down some rocker shaft supporters or at least a whole rocker assembly then I will have something to compare it to. If I get off at a reasonable time sometime I will have the block sent off to be checked and heads milled.

94sport sedan 5mt, running at 10psi, stock otherwise. 23.5mpg

85 Brat GL weber, about 25mpg, currently taking back to stockish carb to see if i can net near 30

85 hatchback Gl ea81, stock about 29mpg

and, a 91 CRX Si gets about 38.5 and my civic Si hatch about the same, maybe 39mpg on longer trips.

I am on my fifth loyale.....

90's version....

the wagons would get 30 alldaylong...

the sedan got 35....................

recently pulled out the clutch fan.

and yanked the AC.... I am curious..

if I will see an improvement. I will

post if I do...... All these vehicles

where 5speeds.:brow: