Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Spun Bearing

Poop. May have spun a bearing in the 81 Brat due to oil starvation. If I did, is it worth it to tear up the engine and fix, or should I just source a new one at the pick n pull? If I replace, I want to keep the simpleness of the non-ECU, weber-carbbed engine. My local one has these to offer, no idea the condition:

83 GL (EA81, simple swapout, right?)

84 GL x2 (EA81 again)

88 GL x2 (EA82 maybe? Would that fit in a gen1 brat body?)

Opinions welcomed.

Was it running well before it spun a bearing? Might want to consider fixing the one you have - unless the block has a hole in it now. I can't even tell you how many EA81's I have pulled from P-N-P looking for good cores to rebuild. They are getting SO OLD now that most of the ones left out in the wild have been SEVERELY abused.

Was it running well before it spun a bearing? Might want to consider fixing the one you have - unless the block has a hole in it now. I can't even tell you how many EA81's I have pulled from P-N-P looking for good cores to rebuild. They are getting SO OLD now that most of the ones left out in the wild have been SEVERELY abused.

+1

Ive taken down 3 of them, and all three were useless. Rusted, pitted cams, horribly scored liners. destroyed pistons...

Since yours is useless anyways might as well tear it down.

ea81piston.jpg

If it's a trashed rod bearing, you could get a new rod, grind the crank, and rebuild.

If it spun the bearing in the case........sadly, the case is likely junk. Grind down the crank all you want, but the hole in the case is now too big to hold a new bearing. I've seen undersize I.D. bearings, but no oversize O.D. so line boring the case is no go unless you can get some custom bearings.

That's another reason most people are goin EJ.

If you're set on keepin an EA81......find a decent runner, tear it down and rebuild it BEFORE it spins a bearing.

OOOOHHH!!

I did just remember...I know a guy local here in Corvallis who has a stock of about 150 EA81 blocks (he used to build HiPo Aircraft engine from them) Last I talked to him he said $100 bucks for a good bare block.

PM me if you want his #.

And everytime i see a thread too EJ it, the price of a real and stock BRAT just shot up a little.

A properly done swap is not going to hurt the value. Though 95% of the swaps I've seen aren't properly done.

A stock Brat has a lot of drawbacks. The 4 speed's suck. The EA81 is underpowered and getting more difficult to find parts for.... etc. There's no reason that a properly done swap would hurt the value - the Brat still looks the same on the outside.

GD

@GD

I would think that a properly done swap might even increase the value as it brings technology to the car that is at least 10 years newer. I'm in the middle of an EJ swap right now and even when it's very well thought out and planned for it is a LOT of work to get all the small details handled properly. Not to mention every little detail adds to the $$$ of the swap.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I may need a rod (found one slightly bent), but it's the case I really need, since no one around here will machine it for me. Ideally I'd like to find an EJ81 pushrod shorty; but sans that, I'm going to have to go pull something from the junk yard and make it fit.