Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'll third or fourth or fifth or whatever number that Monroes suck. Don't even waste your time. You're better off with worn out leaking factory struts with 275k miles on them.

KYB makes the stock parts. Brand new struts from Subaru even have KYB stamped in the case. Their replacements are equivalent to how the car would have rode when new. Otherwise there is Gabriel, they make quality parts. I don't know if I've ever read of anyone using them on a Subaru.

A friend of mine needed shocks for his Volvo 240 wagon several years ago. Put a set of Monroes on it and they made the car nearly undriveable. A set of Gabriels made it ride like it was new, and they are still on the car now about 90k miles later.

Today, installation of 4 new GR-2s on my 98 outback was completed. my old struts were stamped KYB and Subaru so yes, they are OEM. I put regular Legacy struts instead of Outback struts and they feel awesome. I think any new strut will feel stiff when your old ones are on the way out.

If you replace the strut mounts, go with OEM ones. They are as much or cheaper than KYB ones. One of the KYB mounts I received was defective too and had to be replaced.

Monroe earned the reputation thirty years ago of building a shock that was good for only about 20K miles on American cars.

I have put KYBs on my past Audis and VWs, and was happy with the ride and longevity of the KYBs. My vote is for KYBs. I just don't know if Monroe has improved their product.

I am ready to put in the saab struts into my 06 impreza, they are a direct fit and have KONI inserts!

Anyway because people have commented on shocks I would say that KONI and Biltstien have shared the number 1 spot forever, especially their stainless models.

FYI I have read that the Tokico HP series are the next higher in regard to the KYBs.

I put in my gulf a brand called boge turbo gas and they were a lower midlevel price but much cheaper than bilstien. Anyhow because they were nitrogen pressurized it meant that the were really good.

Any kind of "Nitrogen" upgrade will be vastly better than non Nitrogen stock.

Edited by subaruplatt

I have run a lot of KYB's on mostly the old air cooled VWs.

I have had Monroe's on my 01 VW Golf for the last 140k and they are still in excellent shape.

I did Monroe's because at the time believe it or not Sears was runing a deal in Feb I beleive where they installed them all and aligned it for a little cheaper than I could buy the parts. ABout the only work I've ever had anyone else do on that car.

I have installed Monroe socks/struts on Subaru's since that's what my local independent parts place stocks with no issues. But then again I sold those cars so I can't report on how well they lasted.

I think Monroe gets a bad rap a lot of the time.

KYB's have been too stiff for some applications where I have used them.

Bilsteins, Koni's, etc I think are a bit of a waste of money. This from someone who used to drive 50k per year and owns a dozen vehicles.

FYI I think Gabriel's are often overlooked but I think about the only place you can find them now is Pep Boys.