Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Burring oil and a little smoke

Have a 95 ej22 . Been burning a lot of oil. Just replaced the spark plugs left side fine right side was in bad shape. Replaced pcv value old one had a little build up on it. There r no visible leaks coming from anywhere else. So it's burning up somewhere in the engine. There is smoke at first start up for the first mile them none, could it be the piston rings that r bad.:horse:

Also I replaced the guide value seals and still burning oil. About 2 1/2 quart per tank.

Any and all help would be great.

pull pistons and re ring em probly got a scratched up bore on the side thats burning oil unfortanatly the only way to fix is a good hone job and rings or bore it over. Have fought thiss before is losing battle the more oil it burns the worse it will get. Till it burns a valve because of the extra carbon in cly

Really? I think that is a little over kill.

You think I would sugest it if I haven't been there before? As Ivan said it's a losing battle on an engine worth 1/3 the cost of my living room sofa.

EJ22's are worth zilch. I can get tested engines with a warrantee for $450 that don't burn a drop. Why would you ever bother to get inside it?

With proper care they last 300k+. Replacements are one week's pay for the average guy. Replacement is the ONLY economically viable solution. Drop it in the dumpster, replace it with a good one, and keep up on regular oil changes with synthetic.

GD

since the valve seals have been replaced it is likely that the condition that Ivan mentioned is likely best solved by GD's solution.

I know it sounds extreme but based on the labor cost to go into the engine, it is generally cheaper to remove and replace it rather than try and fix it for most people.

I think someone else mentioned a rebuild kit for $471 in another post. Then you would have to pay the labor/material costs to rebuild the engine, then pay to R&R it. Sounds like the cheapest way is to drop in a used 2.2L.

EJ22's are worth zilch. I can get tested engines with a warrantee for $450 that don't burn a drop. Why would you ever bother to get inside it?

GD

Where does one come up with said engines? and what kinda warranty? So, that being said, does it make sense to do much at all to these engines other than maintenance items..plugs, timing belt?? I guess I'm just leery about buyin used engines cuz I don't have a clue of their history, although it's worth gambling for $450.

Where does one come up with said engines? and what kinda warranty? So, that being said, does it make sense to do much at all to these engines other than maintenance items..plugs, timing belt?? I guess I'm just leery about buyin used engines cuz I don't have a clue of their history, although it's worth gambling for $450.

The warranty is that its an EJ22.

And check out http://www.car-part.com/ to search junk yards near you.

The only used engine I've had a problem with was an ej22 with over 300k that I got for $50. It lasted about 20k miles then decided it was tired with life. It had an aneurism and hemorrhaged all of it's oil, then seized up good and solid.

The only used engine I've had a problem with was an ej22 with over 300k that I got for $50. It lasted about 20k miles then decided it was tired with life. It had an aneurism and hemorrhaged all of it's oil, then seized up good and solid.

You call that a problem?! You only paid $50 and got 20 THOUSAND miles of service from it!! That was a bona fide Bargain.

Here in Colorado, I can't buy an EJ22 core engine for $50. If I could, I'd be on it like white on rice!! Hell, I'd buy 10. Today.

Emily

Worth nothing ? i buy evry 2.2 i can get gold i say the best and cheapest moter to rebiuld i put that block in everything. The parts are not to pricey and the end result is good get a used one is good to but you realy dont know if the berrings or rings are poor and you dont lean anything. At least if you rebiuld it you know. I tore apart a ej 2.5 with 100000kms on it yesterday totaly buggerd rod berrings how could you tell the state of berrings in used moter russian rulette. Im not saying spend a ton of money on it but a rering and reberring shouldent cost to mutch mabee 350 $ and some time. And can update the block half sealing rings to dubble lip rings as theese engines had problems with block sealing rings. I do not trust used engines just for cores i whould go thrugh evryone before running it .

Agreed. As simple as pulling a valve cover and looking at how clean/dirty it is inside there usually. If it doesn't wipe clean with a rag its probably missed a few oil changes. Sometimes that can be reversed with a flush but usually its damage done.

I had one with a smeared thrust berring there no way you could have known without tearing it down was no play just smeared it whould have failed was low miles 2.2 bore was nice clean engine even ran good probly good comp.Someone had had clutch problems you just never know i reberring everyone of theese engines if any ? its realy hard to know if its realy good or not when 90% of the failures are what you cant see.

I understand what you are saying but *here* it is NOT viable to open a 2.2 for ANY reason. Replacements are cheap and I get a warrantee on them generally. Also I use almost engines from almost exclusively automatic's for my 2.5 replacements.

I just bought a 2.2 yesterday. Came from a '95 Impreza with 97k on it. You could eat off the inside of the valve covers. Owned by an elderly lady - took a hard hit in the drivers side rear quarter. I heard it run before they pulled it. Could barely hear it running..... $550.

And that's not an unusal deal at all. I've bought at least three others in the last few months with under 150k and in similarly amazing condition. One I got for $350!

Again - of the DOZENS of EJ22's I've bought not a single one has come back. I get compression results, I check for internal varnish and sludge, and I get a warrantee. If I opened them all up I couldn't do the volume of EJ25D to EJ22 swaps that I do - it wouldn't be viable. It would add $1500 to the cost. I do EJ22 swaps for $1400 out the door - that's engine, timing components, resealed, labor included.

GD

not around here evry 2.2 i c has 250000kms or better on it driven through the mountains and baged i havenet even seen a 2.2 under 200000kms i whould rather rebiuld them and know its good the one i just did rebiult short block go's for 1250 cost me 350 to biuld and i sell evry one as fast as i can biuld them total bill to put 2.2 into 04 impreza head set water pump timing belt clutch surface heads ect 3044.63 with one year unconditional waranty i cant biuld them fast enuff. My short blocks are gold even the dealers buy them. Theres a pile of them out there and none have come back yet. If somone was to ask me the single most important part on subaru moter to change it whuold be the rod berring leave everything else if you like but change the rod berrings single most commen engine killer that ruins the engine. I'm not saying used engines are bad but i cant sell them with waranty and they are scarce round here