Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It Lives Again! ('87 GL)

I was just so happy that I had to share. After being off the road (actually, parked on the side of my house for the past 4 years) I've finally gotten my '87 GL back on the road. Over the years I've slowly worked on it I've done the following:

Complete FI & harness swap from an '88 GL

Power windows and locks (was all manual)

Rear inertia belts from a late model loyale

It's running great. The last exhaust issues have just been fixed. It's time to start *using* the car again!

WP_000211.jpg

WP_000212.jpg

WP_000213.jpg

WP_000214.jpg

WP_000215.jpg

WP_000217.jpg

• Like 1

To Loyale 2.7 Turbo:

The front cover is a standard issue LeBra front cover, it's been on the car ever since I bought it. The car looks quite strange to me without it on!

The part number is 55242-01. I picked a spare one up on ebay for $20 a few years ago and I still see them occasionally. The manufacturer also still lists them available as new.

To Loyale 2.7 Turbo:

The front cover is a standard issue LeBra front cover, it's been on the car ever since I bought it. The car looks quite strange to me without it on!

The part number is 55242-01. I picked a spare one up on ebay for $20 a few years ago and I still see them occasionally. The manufacturer also still lists them available as new.

Thank you for your Kind Answer.

What are the Plans for your Subie?

Boy, I don't really know. It's certainly not daily transportation at this point but I've had this car since college and I'm stupidly attached to it - I just couldn't let it sit and rot anymore plus I was getting sick and tired of people just coming up to the front door asking if I wanted to sell it. I've had the car for close to 20 years. I just stopped driving it because it wouldn't pass its emissions test - The emission control system with all of those one way valves on the Hitachi carb failed and I got tired of doing the smog waiver every other year. I'm a huge FI fan and it's so much easer for me to debug those systems than a carb so now it's old enough, I swapped the whole setup & it runs so much better for it.

It's not my primary means of transportation - and in fact, it's not even my secondary. I'll just keep it maintained and enjoy it for the memories mostly.

Man, I have too many cars - but heck, they keep me out of trouble :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...