Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new score :) and a couple issues....

Hi all, haven't posted here in ages, mainly since I haven't had any issues after buying my 89' Legacy 2.2...

I've just picked up a sweet 85' model Leone (or GL in the states I guess), EA82T, 4wd auto (think its a 3AT). It's a weapon, been so long since I drove an EA82 I forgot how much fun they are!!!

I'm going to post some pictures tomorrow when its light (its 9:30PM in NZ now) so you can see the epicness that is the Leone GT-AT. Factory badging, its a JDM import with a high touring roof, factory roof racks and sweet sweet electronic goodness all around... :P Even has air con! Never had an EA82 with that before :)

Anyways, its got a funny idle, and a jumpy tach. Voltmeter says its charging around 14v when driving, runs sweet as a nut when you're on the move, but when you stop it seems to rev out to about 2k RPM, then almost stall, then back up. I figure it might be a dirty air flow sensor, or maybe a cracked/damaged CTS. But the jumpy tach sort of freaks me out into thinking it may be a charging problem.

It died on me at the lights earlier. Had to push it around the corner, got the Legacy out to jump it and it started fine. Started it three or four times since and it goes good as, even idles alright for a while, then every now and then starts hunting for an idle again.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I get into the engine bay of yet ANOTHER ea82 and figure out whats going on - just don't want to throw too much cash at it if its an easy fix.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'll post pictures tomorrow. Stay tuned - its a beaut!

EDIT: Here's the pictures!! Sorry about the low quality, had to use the work camera and it sucks.

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

Think these are factory, they say Subaru on the glass. Rare?

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

Not sure if the States got the "Touring Wagon" version, anyone know?

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

Never seen the panels behind the rear wheel with no rust before... Score!!

IMG_2174.jpg

Some more JDM badging goodness

IMG_2176.jpg

The Subaru Crew (ignore the Jag in the background - it's my flatmates, and surprise surprise, its not running :D )

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

Edited by rxleone
PICTURES!!!

Photos are up now :) Think this is the one for an EJ swap, engine is screwed. Fairly sure its got a blown head gasket, water is milky green, sludge in the oil filler, and around the radiator cap. Doesn't smoke or misfire though - I'll tell you how it goes on water in a couple days.

Also (this really freaks me out) when I pull the oil filler cap off while the car is running, it stumbles and dies. That's really weird, its got suction through the oil filler. I'm thinking blown turbo oil seal? Either way, I think this engines gonna have to come out. I'm thinking JDM DOHC EJ20 - from early JDM Legacys (89 - 93). 150HP and a DR 5MT swap. Woo!

Photos are up now :) Think this is the one for an EJ swap, engine is screwed. Fairly sure its got a blown head gasket, water is milky green, sludge in the oil filler, and around the radiator cap. Doesn't smoke or misfire though - I'll tell you how it goes on water in a couple days.

Also (this really freaks me out) when I pull the oil filler cap off while the car is running, it stumbles and dies. That's really weird, its got suction through the oil filler. I'm thinking blown turbo oil seal? Either way, I think this engines gonna have to come out. I'm thinking JDM DOHC EJ20 - from early JDM Legacys (89 - 93). 150HP and a DR 5MT swap. Woo!

do and document it well so i can cheat,

looks pretty tidy too, at least compared to my hack

do and document it well so i can cheat,

looks pretty tidy too, at least compared to my hack

Sure, if I get around to it I definitely will. Gonna be a wee bit down the road anyway, moving house this weekend though so will have a garage to store it in!

Get your soobs away from that Jag! When it caches on fire you don't want them going up in flames with it! :lol:

Diggin the WRX wheels on that Legacy! Both of those cars look very clean!

Haha, tell me about it. Cheers, got the Legacy two years ago for $500, new radiator and battery, respray, and its done me amazingly well for nearly 40,000km. Very happy with it!

Got the idle sorted. Turns out the hose from the intake to the idle air control was split right through. Threw a length of 1/2" heater hose in there and idle was good as new.

Also got the shifter lined up with the inhibitor switch. Now my reverse lights come on when I'm actually in reverse and not in park! :) broke the tiny red plastic dealie that shows what gear you're in on the shifter, but I'll just superglue a tab onto it to fix it in the weekend. Stoked!

Also (this really freaks me out) when I pull the oil filler cap off while the car is running, it stumbles and dies. That's really weird, its got suction through the oil filler.

The crankcase is part of the metered air system.

If you have no other air leaks it will still run with cap off.

But if you have another leak too, then take off the cap, it's too much unmetered air and it'll die.

The crankcase is part of the metered air system.

If you have no other air leaks it will still run with cap off.

But if you have another leak too, then take off the cap, it's too much unmetered air and it'll die.

Okay, great, sounds like you know what you're talking about. Any ideas on where to start looking for more air leaks?

Cheers. Anyone have any idea on what could cause the tach to jump? It's only the tach and the voltmeter, pretty steady until I put load on the system (lights, aircon, etc) then it starts jumping up and down. Voltmeter usually reads 14v when driving, and 12v at idle with the lights on, but I've seen it charging at up to 18v. Are these alernators internally regulated and would a bad regulator cause this to happen, or could it be the alternator?

Cheers. Anyone have any idea on what could cause the tach to jump? It's only the tach and the voltmeter, pretty steady until I put load on the system (lights, aircon, etc) then it starts jumping up and down. Voltmeter usually reads 14v when driving, and 12v at idle with the lights on, but I've seen it charging at up to 18v. Are these alernators internally regulated and would a bad regulator cause this to happen, or could it be the alternator?

yes, yes, and yes They are Intnernally regulated, and as such the entire alternator needs to either be replaced, or rebuilt

going all the way up to 18v is definitely a problem.

it should hold fairly steady around 13.5 - 14v - below that it is not putting out enough of a charge, over that it is putting out too much of a charge, meaning the regulator is shot - get it replaced asap or you might end up needing a new battery as well (would definitely get battery tested seperately just to make sure there is no damage already done)