• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi there--first post here.

Tonight I fixed the clock on my new-to-me 2002 Outback Sport Impreza. I followed the directions on the Forester message board: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3350

As others have said, #510 was the problem. Worst part of the soldering was that the gap/crack was on the side of 510 that was partially under the display.Of course I missed the post in the thread that said you could remove the display by "unsoldering" it. Would have made it much easier to access....

But after carefully soldering, I plugged it in and was delighted to see it light up! After that, however, things got pretty ugly... I had a REALLY hard time getting the darned radio back into the housing! I hate putting a lot of pressure on plastic things and just knew I was going to BREAK it right after having FIXED it!

Finally got it in, plugged it in again, beat the whole housing thingy back into the dash--and had a lighted clock WITH RED HORIZONTAL STRIPES going across the display (sigh). AND with all the pushing and tugging I'd done, the daggone buttons had recessed a bit.

By this time, this was no longer a "quick fix" or a "fun project." It was dark outside and I was using a flashlight, so I opted not to pull the whole mess out of the dash again to try to get it seated into the housing better. I used a pen to push the buttons and set the time and after I did that, the red stripes disappeared--which was a nice surprise.

So....we'll see how it goes. When I have time I might take it out again and try to get the buttons back where they belong, but at least for now I have a working clock!

• 3 months later...
Here is another link with some good pictures to show the problem.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6386&highlight=clock

Thank you for a great link. I fixed my clock within 15 minutes. The problem was a small crack on one side of the resistor connection, exactly as it was pointed in this thread. Thanks for great pictures and help to fix a problem.:banana:

• 1 year later...

Me too! After several month of an intermittent clock, I finally fixed it.

I saw that one of the previous posts had said that this could be done in 15-minutes, so I couldn't procrastinate any longer! It does indeed only take 15-min.

Yes it was the #510 resistor-solder that was cracked, but I resoldered #300 as well.

Thanks to whoever it was who posted the original fix (great photos), and to all others who have kept the link alive.

Edited by forester2002s

• 2 years later...

2001 Forester 109k.

Just like clockwork, my clock stopped displaying again...after another 5 yrs, again. So I popped out the clock, DEEPLY resoldered both sides of the usual suspect 510 resistor, and now the clock is working (display lights up) again.

Now if only this dang torque bind were so easily fixed!

:-\

• 7 months later...