Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is it EA 81 or EA 82?

Godzilla does not know I bought it:(

Lol does she know about the nice nicknames you give her?

:drunk:

Theres a giant stamp on the front/top part of the engine block in the middle area. Will be really bold and say ea81 or ea82.

Yes lucky to have the Pugs.

Saw the engine tag.

It is an EA 81:(

Thanks again everyone.

FROWN!?

The EA81 is an incredible motor.

Arguably the 2 best motors Subaru made was the 1990-1994 EJ22 and the EA81 :lol:

Agree with Woods, weber swap it or talk to GeneralDisorder, he SPFI swapped his EA81 wagon and also EA82 SPFI swapped a Brat

I did not know that. I thought the 82 was better. Again I am very new to subies.

Any model numbers for the weber carb swap? Do I need to change the intake?

Are there any threads in the forums that may better educate me about Brats and EA motors?

Thank you again,

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115825

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74203

Best thing I can offer is the search button...

Search EA81, EA81 motor, EA81 engine, etc...

Read some build threads of BRATs... Good cars, not for the tall people :D but I dont have that issue, Id like a BRAT someday.

Did you know that BRAT is an acronym?

Bi-Drive

Recreational

All-Terrain

Transporter

:Flame::brow:

I did not know that. I thought the 82 was better.

The EA82 has overhead cams because they were the thing to have at the time, not because they make the motor any better. You get timing belts that break at 60k and hydraulic lash adjusters that have chronic oiling problems and like to clatter.

The EA81 is simpler, easier to work on, and has the same performance potential. The only advantage the EA82 had was fuel injection in it's later years, and the SPFI is nearly a bolt on swap for an EA81. Here's the guide that GD put together: http://www.leoneturbo.com/docs/EA81_SPI_guide.pdf

FROWN!?

The EA81 is an incredible motor.

Arguably the 2 best motors Subaru made was the 1990-1994 EJ22 and the EA81 :lol:

I have two cars, one has an ea81, one has an early ej22. Both swapped in. And both came with the worst two engines subaru ever made, the ea82 and the DOHC 2.5. haha.

The ea81 is a really great engine. It'll take abuse similar to a jeep 4.0 and not blink an eye.