Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member needs support, Im being taken advantage of by subaru of north america

Hi folks, im in no way new to the subaru lifestyle. I cut my teeth on the wrx in 02 (400bhp) and my girl has an 06 turbo legacy.(stock) I need help with the legacy. Heres the sob story. Christmas time 2011 turbo goes bad. The car has 65k and is maintained. Takes 2 months to get a new turbo. 50 miles later it blows out.(ase certified shop does all the work, not a dealership, but its a trustworthy shop that has done subie work many times) spent the next 3 months waiting for a responce on the warranty. We had over a month of them not returning any calls,and miles of excuses when finally able to talk to anyone. Im sure you can tell they keep saying "not our fault" The parts were installed per subie instructions. They claim the block must be bad, and these blocks go bad. there isnt any tell tale signs they claim. the car is stock, never driven over 70mph and maintained. There isnt any reason the block or turbo should go bad...except for the design flaws subaru knows about concerning the return lines being inadiquately sized, or the problem where the rod bearings tend to wear themselves out. I hate to think im going to have to get a lawyer to resolve this, but im done. I WILL NEVER BUY OR RECOMMEND A SUBARU AGAIN TO ANYBODY. I ADVISE YOU ALL TO RUN LIKE HELL AWAY FROM THIS GLOBAL COMPANY, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT HELPING LOYAL REPEAT CUSTOMERS . I myself am a true gear head with an arsonal of vehicles, and I know cars, have built, restored,painted and hot rodded many...im not some rump roast-hat that isnt well informed. Any suggestions? Im hoping someone in corporate, with heart, soul, and logic is out there and reads this. I dont give up when wronged by a faceless company. Many people dont have the time or resources to fight for whats right. I dont really either, but its now my mission. Lets join together and show them they need to do the right thing. In closing id like to tell Ms. Lauren Weingarten at subaru of north america to make things right, and I will go away. If any of you need her direct office number to try to rectify your own problems, I have it. She told me she is the top person that deals with these issues. Wrong can of worms to open, Subaru.

on some of those legacy's, there is a oil strainer inline to the turbo that subaru loves to pass the buck on. It will kill turbo after turbo. They make no mention of them in the manual and that they need to be cleaned periodically. shame shame. I would mention that to SOA

on some of those legacy's, there is a oil strainer inline to the turbo that subaru loves to pass the buck on. It will kill turbo after turbo. They make no mention of them in the manual and that they need to be cleaned periodically. shame shame. I would mention that to SOA

Dunno if the TSB for that extends to 2011 models - but, IF it does, and IF the paperwork for the original repair does not mention cleaning/servicing that banjo screen - that could look good in court.(for the plaintiff)

If you wont buy or recommend a Subaru to anyone again, sell them super cheap to someone who can fix them and move on. Hopefully they get picked up by a Subaru person who knows exactly how to fix them and make them last...

Ive seen 460k on an 85 DL, 212K on an 84 GL, 202k on an 84 DL, 92 Loyale with 246K and my current car has 180K. Several members have seen over 300K on Legacy models etc. These are great cars... sure there are bound to be design flaws, but thats no reason to never recommend a Subaru or buy one.

Its also a "he-said, they-said" situation... I have seen people in 2011 STi's get told to take it easy the first 5000 miles on the car so everything gets broken in smoothly.... first thing they do off the lot is bounce it off the rev limiter... :lol: so you say never driven over 70 miles per hour and maintained, they probably think you abused it and thats why they dont want to help you. You probably wont win in that situation...

If I were you, Id have the work done privately, and forget the dealer and the warranty... or sell it if you dont wanna do that.

The car is regestered and owned by a woman who was in a severe wreck, and is the most cautious driver. Ever. I wasnt the person originally dealing with corporate, the shop and the turbo supplier were. The fact that this car, with lo.miles and being maintained has broken like this makes me angry because these cars SHOULD go 200k. To not stand behind a warranty is one thing, but to take 3 months to decide what to do seems unexceptable. In the last month, we were unable to establish contact with anyone working on the claim. I have four other cars in my collection, so my gf hasnt been stranded, but that car is her DD. I just shutter to think of someone in the same situation without other means of transportation.

The car is regestered and owned by a woman who was in a severe wreck, and is the most cautious driver. Ever. I wasnt the person originally dealing with corporate, the shop and the turbo supplier were. The fact that this car, with lo.miles and being maintained has broken like this makes me angry because these cars SHOULD go 200k. To not stand behind a warranty is one thing, but to take 3 months to decide what to do seems unexceptable. In the last month, we were unable to establish contact with anyone working on the claim. I have four other cars in my collection, so my gf hasnt been stranded, but that car is her DD. I just shutter to think of someone in the same situation without other means of transportation.

Wait, are you saying the car was in a wreck previously? This could change everything and make Subaru not liable for any problems this car has now.

The part had a year warranty. The turbo was bought new from a subaru dealership, through an autopart store. This car was not in a wreck, the driver was. The.car came with a lifetime warranty from the subaru dealership,but not a subaru warranty. The turbo warranty is separate, I was told anyone ase certified could install the turbo, per subaru instructions,and the warranty would be upheld.

I dunno, seems to me, this is a problem with the 3rd party warranty - no surprise there.

yeah, maybe a lawyer is a good way to go.

usually, if you have a warranty issue with Subaru (directly) you get (and should TAKE) a loaner/free rental car while the work is being done. They will NOT drag their feet for 3 months if they are paying for your rental.

the turbo screen is part of the problem but the bigger pictrure is there is a valving to hold the oil preshure in the cams for the vanos so it will not send enuff oil to turbo if its a bitt low on preshure i think the vanos and hydrolic cam gears take to mutch oil away from turbo and it starves i have one here from 2010 turbo legacy has only 500 kms on it toast dealer put new turbo on car and it failed imedatly on further inspection tech found oil preshure valve jamed and not flowing the tech said he only gets paid for r@r not for diagnoseing problem so he dident care just put a new one on and kick it out the door anyway the new turbo engines are the ea82 T all over agian I dont like the setup for turbo oil prushure line to mutch to go wrong

I didn't see that it was "aftermarket warranty"

You have to take all this up with the dealership, and if they don't fix it, you need to take it higher with SOA. SOA isn't responsible for your warranty, but what they are responsible for is making sure the dealer does what they said they would do and make the third party pay. Take that approach with SOA instead of calling warranty department, call the dealer relations or whatthehellever they call it.

Calling SOA warranty department and giving them hell isn't going to fix the problem.

I have worked in the field for years and will NEVER... EVER... recommend a third party warranty service. They only authorize the cheapest parts and junk yard warranty engines and transmissions. BISH and COMPLAIN to them that they installed a bullshnitt remanned autozone turbocharger on your car and demand it be a real subaru one. Also like Ivan said, have them verify oil pressure, and that the inline screen in cleaned. I think the valves he is referring to are the oil control valves and may be causing low line pressure to the turbo feed line.

http://epawd.forumotion.com/t96-oil-control-valves-on-avcs-dual-avcs-equipped-subarus

The car was purchased at a subaru dealer as "certified". The third party warranty came with the car, we could not opt out. This dealer sells all their cars with that crap. That isnt the warranty in question(yet) as I know it didnt cover the turbo. The NEW Turbo was a NEW subaru part, and comes with a 1 year SUBARU warranty.(if the block is bad like they say, then in the third party warranty SHOULD cover it.)

This sounds more like it is a delaership issue and not a subaru issue and should be taken up with an atty and whomever you can file complaints wiht in CT.

1st off certified really means nothing. All that you can be sure of is that it will pass inspection. Google Certified Used Car is just a sucker term

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/car-buying-advice/guide-to-used-car-buying/buying-a-used-car/overview/index.htm

Anyone can "install parts per subaru instructions" and still manage to screw things up royally.

Block issues, the only issues I have heard is from the screen OR (which can happen on any turbo) the internal selas failibg and the car consuming all the oil in the crankase. There is a TSB that a DEALERSHIP would know about and not a shop if they did not know of it.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

Issue i see here is that the shop screwed up, not subaru. You can not hold subaru lible for a part a non subaru installed. You have to go after the shop that installed it.

So many things are wrong here. Why not go to the dealership the first time for the turbo? Why was the turbo not purchased directly from subaru instead of a third party? Any dealer that forces you to buy a lifetime warrenty on a car (even if they are giving it away you are being forced to buy it as nothing is free) should not be someone to deal with.

I know of a few ASE mechanics that arent worth the powder and shot to blow them to hellsinky.

Scream all you want, but there comes a point when you need to talk to a lawyer and let him do the talking.

Im positive it was installed correctly.Either way, the autoparts shop hasnt and wont pay subaru for the part, and is prob going to refund the money to me, as I do thousands of $$$ in business with them. The car wasnt brought to the dealer bc my girlfriend(the owner) feels like the dealer screws around with her, and she'd rather give money to the little guy over a giant corp. Shes shopping lawyers as we speak.