Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Legacy gas filler tube goes into abyss.

OK, I'm trying to track down my P0442 code problem. I've read all of the posts. I previously had a mechanic replace the purge solenoid. I pull the inner fender wall to take a look at the fuller tube and it looks pretty rusty. I tried to follow it, an it seems to go way into the abyss :mad: above the rear suspension. So where is the vent solenoid, and is changing the filler tube on a 2001 Legacy a nightmare?

Not a nightmare but you do need a fair amount of room under the car to maneuver. The filler tube goes under the frame then fits to a section of rubber hose just above the rear crossmember. The ring clamp there is accessible but you'll want a hose pick to get the rubber section loose from the metal tube.

With the tube loosened from the body it can be pulled out of the rubber hose and then lowered out of the wheel well.

I speculate that its not an issue in most of the world. I don't think salt is put on roads in many areas outside the US. Its just expensive and in most snow and ice areas in the rest of the world they know how to drive on the stuff without it.

Im doing one here in Colorado but its fairly rare here unless the car has seen areas east of here. For the most part they didn't rust out here.

• 1 year later...

Fuel Filler Neck – CEL:  P0442

2001 Forester with 128k rust belt miles on her.

Bot new neck pipe on Ebay.  Hoses, screws, hose clamps...you will get at
AutoZone.  The new check valve
you get at Subaru dealer.  Some of the
mounting bolts might be frozen, but tap them with hammer and wood and spray
with WD40 for 15 minutes before cranking them off might help.  The hardest part for me was trying to
separate
the hoses from the corroded steel pipes and lines.  All seemed
impossible.  I suppose you could saw apart the old rusted filler
neck and get some swing room that way to twist it out of the rubber hose
connecting to the gas tank.

Edited by unibrook

Last Fall my filler pipe rusted out to throw a CEL. Yea, there is a good share of road salt used in Indiana during winters. I had a buddy remove the pipe, and found a rusted mess. The weather was getting too bad to find one in a yard. He is a good welder, so he welded strips of metal over the holes on the pipe. He reinstalled the pipe, and threw away the pipe cover. The finished repair worked like a champ. No more CEL.

Unibrook mentioned it but let's make it more explicit: do keep in mind you are getting rid of the old filler tube! That is: if you need to destroy it to make it easier to remove, so be it.

That being said, make sure you have the right part to replace it, and that you don't destroy more than you have to :)

Edited by jarl

• 2 weeks later...

Unibrook mentioned it but let's make it more explicit: do keep in mind you are getting rid of the old filler tube! That is: if you need to destroy it to make it easier to remove, so be it.

That being said, make sure you have the right part to replace it, and that you don't destroy more than you have to :)

Very good point.  The first replacement filler pipe I bot off Ebay was made by Dorman....and was not the correct part.....even though the description said it would fit.   So, before you order the new one, crawl under the car, do a visual survey, take pic, then be sure it matches when you go on line to order the new one.  I hate when frikkin aftermkt parts have erroneous descriptions......and it happens A LOT !!

Very good point.  The first replacement filler pipe I bot off Ebay was made by Dorman....and was not the correct part.....even though the description said it would fit.   So, before you order the new one, crawl under the car, do a visual survey, take pic, then be sure it matches when you go on line to order the new one.  I hate when frikkin aftermkt parts have erroneous descriptions......and it happens A LOT !!

Yea, I have had the same trouble. Order or store buy after market parts that say they will fit, but won't. Nothing worse then to be in the middle of a repair project, then find out you are screwed by having a wrong part.

My in-laws are from Maine, and they are spraying this mixture called brine on the roads before storms. It's worst than salt, it's rusting out everybody's brake lines.

Brine is just another word for saltwater. It could be that they're using different salts. 

I sure am glad that I live in California and not right on the coast. No rust...

i just replaced a gas filler tube.  wasn't that bad.

the trickiest part someone just mentioned is the tube doesn't want to come out of the rubber hose.  and "pushing" on the hose means simply pushing the hose back into the vehicle cavity rather than off the neck.  i had a friend hold the neck while i broke the seal of the hose, that helped.

• 4 years later...

Hi guys , resurrecting this topic.

2000 outback wagon, 2.5 automatic. 123 k miles

CEL is on, pulled codes ,  got  a P0442,   and a P0113 

From reading, my understanding is  0442 means I have  a leak in my Filler tube?     

P0113,   I have an idle air temp sensor bad?  

The car seems to idle fine.

I have noticed loss of power and my fuel mileage seems worse.

Any input is appreciated.  If you have seen this enough to know exactly what the problem is,, Just spell it out what I should do. 

Thank you!!

Edited by xdeadeye1

442 can be a number of things. To know for sure you need to have a smoke test performed. First step is to get a new fuel filler cap from Subaru. They occasionally go bad and aren't that expensive. Clear the code and see if it comes back. If it does have a shop perform a smoke test - tell them you want to do the repair yourself you just need them to tell you where the leak is. 

GD

• Like 3