Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lost Ignition Key!!!

Hi All,

Have a 1983 Subaru GL Wagon 4WD Dual Range-1800 cc.

I lost the ignition key.

There are no key makers/ ignition switch business in my area. I would have to have it towed to next county as it has no tags. I am trying to get it ready for state inspection as you need it before they will issue tag.

1. Any easy way to remove switch/lock easily so I could bring switch to locksmith?

2. I have an old remote starter switch (type with button and 2 alligator clamps) and tryed to start it but it would only turn motor over- no spark.....what do I have do to get spark to start it. Just want to run it once a week in backyard to keep battery up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks..........Ron

But if you want to have an Original key for the Ignition and it was the Same for the Doors, is easier to grab one of the Doors' Lock (even Easier the one on the Back) and give it to a Locksmith... He could "see" the Combination from it and make a Good New workin' Key.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Take the plastic off the steering column, about 6 Phillip screws, on the left hand side of the ignition is 2 small screws #1 Phillips, I think. Remove them and that will let you pull the turn part of the ignition, then you can use a flat tip or just about anything else to rotate the plug piece that you just removed.:headbang:

Hey All,

First thanks to all who replied!

I took the 6-7 screws out and removed the plastic off the steering column.

I then removed the 2-small screws on the door side.

The lock thingy with the wires soldered on the driver door side came out easily.

The other side, where the key inserts , doesn't move at all. No rotating.

I'm not sure I get the part about "use a flat tip or just about anything else to rotate the plug piece that you just removed".

The key part on the passenger side of the lock assembly won't budge.

What should I be using the flat tip to do?

At this point the part of the lock assembly on the driver side of column is the only thing that I removed.....

I'm dumb at understanding things these dayz! lol

Also, do I have to remove the door lock too?

Doesn't the lock have the key code also?

What about the tail hatch....does it have a key code ?

I'm trying to 'not' mess with a door panel as every one I have ever touched

never quite worked again!!!

I am not a very capable mechanic at this stage in my life....I had a hard time reading all my Sub manuals before coming here also.

I've been driving Subarus since 1982 but my brain/body don't work like they used too.

I hope you all understand and I appreciate all the help I get here.

Thanks in advance.........Ron

ok i know how to take out the ignition there a little pin in it when your looking at it upside down on the floor its toward the middle of the ignition and u drill that out its only like 4mm so be careful and then u pull off the ignition cover thing that says "start, ac, radio ect." with a hammer and flat head screw driver or ice pick the use a ice pick and pull the ignition out (i had to replace my 85 brats ignition when my dad put in a key out of a 87 subaru gl wagon:banghead:and it broke the pins so it will make it not work at all because subaru made the ignition to only be able to work with the right key the lock smith told me this so its true but the stupid key worked on the door!)

quote WoodsWagon "Grab a handful of older jap car keys. Chances are with gentle wiggling another key will work."

can't stress how stupid of a idea that is if it does the same thing that happened to me if you read what i said above

My key and locks are so worn I doubt a vin could reproduce a working key. I have taken the only key I have to a locksmith and he wouldn't even try to cut me another. He told me just keep messing around with flat blade screw drivers and I would probably get a better match,lol!

another guy here in sandy has a 83:Dand i talk to him once in awhile he took out the ignition when it broke a long time ago and uses a flat head screw driver he said u see a light show when u start it:lol:,the local lock smith actually had the right ignition for my brat subaru made two of them(ones smaller and ones bigger) and the lock smith had one of each:headbang:so we bought one and brought both home chose the correct one and gave back the one we diddn't need

i had to replace my 85 brats ignition when my dad put in a key out of a 87 subaru gl wagon:banghead:and it broke the pins so it will make it not work at all

quote WoodsWagon "Grab a handful of older jap car keys. Chances are with gentle wiggling another key will work."

can't stress how stupid of a idea that is if it does the same thing that happened to me if you read what i said above

Notice the part where I said "gentle wiggling"? You dad must have jammed the key in there and twisted it hard.

As for it being a "stupid idea" I've opened/moved a lot of cars up to late 90's with my keyring of older jap keys. Not theft mind you, but expediency in getting it out of the way or moving it as a prank. Plus it's opened a couple locked cars with the keys in them. One was even running with a dog inside. So if you're gentle it can work just fine. Tumblers don't break just from inserting a key in the lock.

u know how there are so many silver wagons that ea82 we where at home depot once and we open someone else's on accident, but any way the key might open the door from it being worn but it doesn't mean the ignition will work with the key because if the key doesn't line up correctly it will make the key stuck and once u get it out it will break the pin that lines up the tumblers making the ignition completely useless but subaru only made like 20-30 keys so u have a high chance that it would work but its not really worth the chance if u break the ignition

u know how there are so many silver wagons that ea82 we where at home depot once and we open someone else's on accident, but any way the key might open the door from it being worn but it doesn't mean the ignition will work with the key because if the key doesn't line up correctly it will make the key stuck and once u get it out it will break the pin that lines up the tumblers making the ignition completely useless but subaru only made like 20-30 keys so u have a high chance that it would work but its not really worth the chance if u break the ignition

if you dont jam it in and turn it hard it won't break anything gentle wiggling wont hurt anything. i once accidentally put my legacy key in my gl and it fit but it wouldn't turn and it didn't hurt anything.

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

I tryed a few other Subaru keys. I lucked out and all of them came out without damage.

None of them worked.

Other Jap keys....I tryed along time ago.....can't risk it as I got one stuck.

There are no Subaru dealers in my county and the last time I tryed to get a key from one of them they said they did not have any reference to any that old.

Bratman2--- the plug at the end of those soldered wires is the side on the driver side door....the other side of the column , pass side is where the key goes in. Not following how you can get a key made. Isn't the key side the side that has tumblers for key? That's also the side I can't get out.

Thanks.......................Ron

turbosubarubrat,

I just went outside and looked at the bottom of the assembly that holds the left hand plug with the soldered wires and the right side ignition key slot with the "start, ac, radio ect."

From below I could not see any little pin towards the middle.

Maybe the 83 is different from the 85?

Mine is an EA81. Isn't 85-87 a EA82?

Pic would be ok. Can't use video ...on superslow dialup. Only 2.2Kbs.

Much appreciated..........Ron

first off disconnect the battery if u haven't

i had cover off and didn't fill like putting back on all the away
185858_170920769709736_1470680954_n.jpg
the plastic piece in front of my finger tends to break easy and u don't need it(if you don't want to hear the bell also pull the wire with it.)
428844_170921026376377_1204878375_n.jpg
see i broke the plastic piece
558338_170921073043039_1258147800_n.jpg
pull the wire thing out next
484142_170921149709698_990730275_n.jpg
552629_170921256376354_1412916157_n.jpg
right above the center of my thumb nail is where the pin you drill out is with a 1/8 drill bit
423459_170921346376345_396913952_n.jpg
418790_170921443043002_497284801_n.jpg
after drilling the hole take off the electric ignition switch
625653_170921539709659_1223006232_n.jpg
311535_170921706376309_2132517882_n.jpg
373935_170921783042968_237572310_n.jpg
427109_170921859709627_114303379_n.jpg
533134_170921933042953_322978417_n.jpg
i could only find 2 numbers on it so your best bet is to buy a new ignition like i did(the ignition shouldn't be to hard to find because there for subaru and dutsun) and when u re-install it u use a screw but dont make it very tight because the tighter it is the harder it is to turn the ignition switch learned that one on my own.

Edited by turbosubarubrat

If none are local to you then call a good "smith" and ask them if the door lock on that model has a full compliment of wafers. If so, pull one and mail it to them if they aren't local. It should be much more than $20.00 to have the first key cut. The door lock cylinder will fit in a padded envelope.

Guys and gals I have a Brumby{Brat} as well as a Suzuki Swift GTI also sold in Turbo Form as some sort of Chevy I believe and the Key blanks interchange so that gives you a few more options for getting a blank key that works in Subie locks if you don't have a dealer local for Subaru's.

Hi and thanks to everyone with all the suggestions!

BIG special thanks to turbosubarubrat for all the great pics.

They helped me see what I'm up against.

My lock is slightly different than yours in the pic.

I did find the tiny pin you told me about on the side of the lock holder assembly.

The angle is in a place that would make it hard for me to use the drill I have as the drill is pretty big.

The car is a couple of hundred feet away from electric outlet and I don't have that big of extension cords.

I also don't trust myself with a job like drilling out that pin. I's prob just ruin the whole shebang!

I think I will try to get out the doorlock and going over a county or 2 and ask the keymakers if they can make me a key with the doorlock.

As I recall a 20 years ago they did one but a few years ago they all said it was too old. There is very little supply of anything left around here as the junkyards prices for junk cars went up the last year or so and every junked every car they had. Subarus were rare in this neck of the woods to begin with.

SO....before I even attempt drilling the pin out I'm going to take the doorlock out and go to every key maker within 75 miles or so.

Thank you all for your help and ESPECIALLY to turbosubarubrat !!!

Ron