Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy CV Axle Identification

I have a CV Axle I had originally bought for my old '88 GL 3-DR, but when the shop put it on & tried to reverse it out it sheered the holding pin. So they said it was the wrong axle because the spline count was bigger. My question is How do I determine what vehicle the axle is for? I now have a '95 Legacy & had read somewhere that the spline count should be 25 for a '95 & 23 for the GL's. Is this correct? What other specifications could identify the axle?

There is only 1 EJ series transmission to use 23 splines. That is the front wheel drive 5 speeds. Your GL axle may have been a awd legacy/impreza axle.

Here are the things you need to check:

CV Driveshaft Compressed Length : 26 7/8"

Inner Joint Spline Count : 25

Outer Joint Spline Count : 27

Right, So the specs of this axle

Overall length: 27 1/4 in.

Outer spline: 30

Inner spline: 25

Search results will show this axle will fit a '88 Subaru 3-DR 5sp 4WD manual trans. But it also shows a 23 inner spline count axle, which is the one that my car took so Im not sure what the specific difference is that makes the car require THAT spline count.

Well anyway, Thank you all for replying. USMB is GREAT!

Looks like someone sold you the wrong axle originally. The 25 spline count on the EA82 cars was for the turbo model; all the others took 23 spline. Put a 25 hub on a 23 stub and it'll shear the roll pin every time. I don't know what your mechanic was thinking. Look for an axle with the inner hub (DOJ) with 23 splines and you should be okay.

Astoria; not too far from Portland. Check with Richie at http://www.fixmysuby.com. He should be able to find the correct axle for your car.

Edited by edrach