Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I am getting ready for tune up on the Forester for Winter. Anyhow I ordered from Walker a bunch of things including a new oil filter. When I pulled it out it look so small I can only assume it was mistake. I ordered for my specific car including VIN #. It measures 2 inches straight wide and about 2 3/4 deep. Seriously it looks more like a lawn mower filter than anything I ever seen on a car. Or am wrong? Would anyone here put this on their car. Personally I think I will head to Autozone for bigger one.

Thanks for any input.

John

Edited by john40iowa

I've used OEM (black roki) and Pure One.

I THINK WIX and maybe NAPA Gold now has a filter with the bypass valve set for soobs.

Generally, someone doing regular maintenance on a working car will be fine with any name brand filter.

you can find out a lot about filters from links at bobistheoilguy.com .

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I use these all the time. They are running on WRX's, STI's, etc. Its a compact unit that works fine. I also have aftermarket alternatives I like and sell too. Virtually everything offered for your car is the same size as that one.

I can count 15 people I know personally running OEM Subaru blue filters including myself on my 2 Subarus. We have not had any issues with them and I believe they are a quality item.

Many people use fram and get away with it. If you search YouTube for fram you will see what I am talking about. Good filters cost a little more than fram but I rather spend extra dollar or two to protect my investment. This is two dollars vs thousands. You decide...

Sam

Many people use fram and get away with it. If you search YouTube for fram you will see what I am talking about. Good filters cost a little more than fram but I rather spend extra dollar or two to protect my investment. This is two dollars vs thousands. You decide...

Sam

I used to use Fram oil filters, for no particular reason. It was so easy to buy them, since they are sold just about everywhere. Then, I started reading negative reports on them on Forums. Someone even detailed that their Fram split open while the car was being driven, dumping oil onto the pavement. So, after an oil change, I dissected the Fram oil filter that I had just replaced. I was not impressed with the quality of materials inside the cartridge. Everything looked so cheap and flimsy. That was the last time I bought a Fram. Just my .02 cents worth.

If you got it from the dealer it's the right one. They are small but very effective. None of the 4 cyl engine cars have large filters these days. Its just not necessary. The one in my sisters Hyundai is smaller than the Soob filters.

I haven't used a Fram filter in years. I strayed away from them long ago after having constant problems with their anti-drain valves. I usually use purolator, sometimes Hastings. Haven't ever had trouble with either of those brands.

Sam

Thanks for all the opinions. I don't Like Fram in any way. The only reason I mentioned it is my walmart sell something like five different brands of filters but only has a legend for the Fram.

I just can't bring myself to take off the normal size filter and put this easter egg on my car. I know everyone here is probably right:burnout:

John

Filter technology and new insights into engineering and common oil change "wisdom" has brought about a revolution in oil filters.

Smaller filters work better for several reasons.

1. The filter medium is generally rated in microns - that is how small of a particulate size the filter will trap with about 99.99% efficiency. The filter media is porus with many different sized openings and multi-layered so as to trap small particulate and large particulate with high efficiency. Research into how filters "clog" shows that as they age they actually get better at filtering smaller particulate for a time, plateau at a specific flow rate and particulate size, and then drop off when they get too clogged up. The length of time that the filter stays at that high-efficiency plateau range and how quickly it reaches that range are both dependent on the size of the filter. Too large and it never filters small particulate with high efficiency before being changed out and too small is no good either because the plateau may not last long enough before being changed.

2. The "conventional wisdom" in America of changing your oil "EVERY 3,000 MILES" is extremely pervasive. The oil companies want you to buy oil and the chain parts stores and chain oil change establishments want you to come in more often so they can up-sell you on additives and services you don't want or need. It's sad but true. Any way the oil filter has to be able to reach it's best state and filter for 3k to 5k and then be pitched. The small Subaru filters do this well.

3. One should also consider that the Subaru engineers probably knew what they were doing. There are hundreds of thousands of Subaru's on the road with these filters - many of them 300+ HP STi's. No one anywhere is complaining about insufficient filtration, flow, or performance. Why do you suppose that is?

4. The Subaru filter has a trapped (crimped) seal. This will not bunch up and is much less likely to leak. It also ABSOLUTELY has the right bypass valve setting inside it. No guesswork as to which filter on the market has the right settings.

So in summary - larger is not better in this case. There is much more to the story than is evident from looking at filter sizes and making assumptions. As usual - assumptions are dangerous and those who are changing oil should very likely not be telling the engineers who build these things how it should be done.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Filter technology and new insights into engineering and common oil change "wisdom" has brought about a revolution in oil filters.

Smaller filters work better for several reasons.

1. The filter medium is generally rated in microns - that is how small of a particulate size the filter will trap with about 99.99% efficiency. The filter media is porus with many different sized openings and multi-layered so as to trap small particulate and large particulate with high efficiency. Research into how filters "clog" shows that as they age they actually get better at filtering smaller particulate for a time, plateau at a specific flow rate and particulate size, and then drop off when they get too clogged up. The length of time that the filter stays at that high-efficiency plateau range and how quickly it reaches that range are both dependent on the size of the filter. Too large and it never filters small particulate with high efficiency before being changed out and too small is no good either because the plateau may not last long enough before being changed.

2. The "conventional wisdom" in America of changing your oil "EVERY 3,000 MILES" is extremely pervasive. The oil companies want you to buy oil and the chain parts stores and chain oil change establishments want you to come in more often so they can up-sell you on additives and services you don't want or need. It's sad but true. Any way the oil filter has to be able to reach it's best state and filter for 3k to 5k and then be pitched. The small Subaru filters do this well.

3. One should also consider that the Subaru engineers probably knew what they were doing. There are hundreds of thousands of Subaru's on the road with these filters - many of them 300+ HP STi's. No one anywhere is complaining about insufficient filtration, flow, or performance. Why do you suppose that is?

4. The Subaru filter has a trapped (crimped) seal. This will not bunch up and is much less likely to leak. It also ABSOLUTELY has the right bypass valve setting inside it. No guesswork as to which filter on the market has the right settings.

So in summary - larger is not better in this case. There is much more to the story than is evident from looking at filter sizes and making assumptions. As usual - assumptions are dangerous and those who are changing oil should very likely not be telling the engineers who build these things how it should be done.

GD

Just for reference I did not make "Assumptions." nor did I disparage engineers. I have in my hand a feather light filter from Subaru a fraction of the size to which has always been on the car and this came with no explanation whatsoever. I spent much time going through many specific credible web sites and there is Very compelling information which says just the contrary. We have a saying in the Midwest- "To each their own."

Edited by john40iowa

For reference - besides my history here, post count, and that I own and operate a successful Subaru repair shop I've also been through classes on filtration put on by Parker and Mann. And in my days in the Army and in a major industrial machinery repair facility I had many opportunities to cut open filters to inspect their contents. I believe I'm qualified to asses the viability of a filter for the application in question. For my money and for the longevity and reliability of my customers vehicles the Subaru factory filter is hands-down the winning choice. There are some acceptable alternatives but I haven't found any compelling reasons to prefer them. Price is certainly no issue. And size is based on factors known only to the engineers.

GD

I used to have a friend who's now passed who loved saying it's not the size of the army but the fury of the attack. Of course we weren't talking oil...

There is also the addage about dogs.....It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the amount of the fight in the dog that wins the fight. Someone help me.......I got this dog thing close, but not quite right. Same with oil filters.