Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cut the rear off my wagon this last weekend..

El Presidente

I'm not done yet, but thought I'd share what I've done. Last time I'll ever see it like this:

Photo0491.jpg

I spray glued around the window and covered it with plastic to keep the mess to a minimum

Photo0497.jpg

All prepped up:

Photo0500.jpg

Started cutting:

Photo0501.jpg

Photo0503.jpg

Started with the bed tops/gate opening

Photo0504.jpg

Photo0505.jpg

Then the bumper subframe(the piece going across the bottom is what the new bumper will attach to)

Photo0506.jpg

Welding it in:

Photo0507.jpg

Then the sides and roof bar:

Photo0508.jpg

Photo0509.jpg

Figuring out the tail light housing:

Photo0510.jpg

Photo0511.jpg

Photo0513.jpg

Thanks guys!

I used 3/16 because the bed frame will be part of a hybrid exo/subframe. I'm hoping to get the turn signals and reverse lights done this weekend, a tailgate, weld up some brackets for new mirrors(so I can go doorless) and hopefully get started on a removable divider to seal in the passenger compartment.

Josh

My rear used to sag a little and now its higher than level compared to the front, so I'd say I've reduced weight on the back end. All the metal I bought only weighed 246 pounds and I haven't even used it all. I didn't get a weight of the cut off metal from the back end+glass+interior plastic and sound mat, but driving it feels lighter and not so dumpy on the back end.

damn! nice work. are you going to close it off from the cab like a mini truck bed?

Yes. It will have a weather tight steel removable divider that will go up to the same height as the bed top. It will also have a piece of abrasion resistant acrylic that fills in everything above that, like the glass that was in the stock hatch. The new rear seats will be a custom "stow and go" and when folded down will be even with the bed. The idea being, I can run it sealed up in winter, take the window out in the summer, but still have a divider to keep cargo from sliding back and forth, or I can take both out for full ventilation or if I'm hauling something larger than what the bed can hold. The tailgate will be a swing-down design which will also help with hauling larger stuff, loading/unloading, or a place to sit and drink beer.

Thanks! feel free to copy me in every way if you like, your not gonna offend me.

thanks man! i was thinking last night what it kinda reminded me of, a HUMMER!! its the shorter length thouse awsome tires and the square look in the rear, pretty awsome! (not a big fan of the non army hummers though, chine cr**) :headbang:

PRWA AAE

Got some more done:

Photo0521.jpg

Photo0522.jpg

Photo0523.jpg

The tailgate pins are welded to the tailgate, so if I pull the tailgate, the pins stay with it

Photo0530.jpg

Photo0531.jpg

The start of my divider, this is the removable section:

Photo0532.jpg

Photo0533.jpg

Photo0535.jpg

Gonna fill in the sides soon, weld on some mounting tabs, and get the top sealed up with a piece of plexi. Theres also a rain channel at the bottom of the divider to keep water out. It drains just in front of the gas tank.

Very nicely executed! That could be one of the cleanest chop jobs I've ever seen!

What you plan to do with the insides of the quarter panels?

Thanks!

The inside quarter panels are getting removable panels so I can access wiring. Thats what I'm doing next with the material I have. When the bed is done, it will look like a normal truck bed, just a lot smaller. With the new tailgate, it almost sits level, which means I'm still lighter than before the bobb. Next pay check I'm getting a piece of plexi!

Josh

• 1 month later...

Got a flange welded in the opening and a piece of plexi cut to get it all sealed in.

Photo0568.jpg

Photo0569.jpg

Photo0577.jpg

Started finishing up missing welds like on the rear quarter panels. I had to bird turd some beads up to fill some bad fitting work, but it is a wheeler, it is getting covered in bed liner, and it is strong.

Photo0576.jpg

What the interior looks like right now

Photo0571.jpg

Edited by El Presidente

So far so good. Theres been some heavy rains around here the last couple weeks and other than a couple expected leaks, it all stays dry, even without a gasket for the plexi. I've got some final welds on the roof and c pillar to finish up, then the entire exterior will get covered in bedliner to seal up the fresh metal. Now that the rear is almost done I'm getting a better idea what the rear seats and center console will be like.

I'm also giving some thought to cutting about 12"(from the front of the front bumper) off the front of the car. The radiator will go in the hood and vent straight up, so I can put whatever grill/panel I want an inch or two away from the belt cover as long as it is removable for service and engine removal. I've already talked with a radiator shop for a customized radiator and got headlight buckets and turn signals planned out. Thinking of going with 7" sealed beams...I might convert them to halogens later, but the sealed beam design is familiar, simple and easy to work with.

Josh