Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear O2 delete - sure, just remove it.  the ECU doesn't use it for anything.

ha ha - that would be awesome if you can just leave the O2 dangling, that sounds awesome!  you can use an old one to try it out - don't even remove the existing one - just find another used one to plug in and see what happens.  would take like 1 minute to do that.

If your worried about the cel and inspection test, the 96 is exempt from the laws. Every time the car is shut down, it clears the computer and the readiness monitors are never ready. Clear the light, pull it into shop for inspection. 

I just replaced the rear 02 sensor in my 98 OBW last night. I still have the old one, if you want to try the trick of dangling your existing 02 sensor outside the cat converter. You could use my old one to fill the hole in the cat converter. Let me know..............Or............the more that I think about your post, you are wanting to replace or remove the cat from your system. If so, you wouldn't need another sensor.

is this a legit fix? 

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110531170853AAflhLq

xD.  they talk about removing the rear o2 sensor, while keeping it plugged in, and zip tying it off to the side in the open air.  Then just plug the hole.

No, the computer will know that the sensor reading is too low, and still throw a code.

It's intentionally very hard to trick.

if you search, folks have i believe worked up a resistor that can trick some systems...maybe older ones...

seems simplest to just install the sensor as-is and install an extender for $5 and be done with it.

I think original poster wants to either change the cat to a unit with no 02 sensor hole, or eliminate the cat, and is asking what to do with the 02 sensor, as he then would not have nothing to screw the sensor into. Then, he is wanting to devise a solution so as to not have the sensor trigger a CEL. There in lies his question.

find a 98 EJ25D cat.  Mine had 2 cats, but both sensors were in the front cat.  Runs fine, no CEL    Normally the O2 sensor would be back behind the tranny. 

I've ran mine for 12k miles so far and have never popped a CEL.   No heat shields on any of my exhaust either, and everyone said that would cause a Cat converter code...

No, the rear O2 only checks catalyst effiency. Only the front O2 adjusts the fuel mixture. What happens with the rear is if the signal fluctuates from lean to rich to greatly, it will light the CEL. If it stays within a certin range it knows the Catalyst is working

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of data points to toss in for those suffering the occasional PO420 CEL.  My car is a 2001 Forest with 120k miles on her....yes, she is a Lesbaru.

My CEL PO420 has been coming on about thrice per year lately.  I plug in my CEL Scanner and erase the code and drive on my merry way.  Since we do limited, mostly city driving, it can take a while for Emissions Test Ready reset cycle to complete.....so you can pass inspection.  This month, it took about 189 miles and nearly 3 weeks of driving to get the pending PO420 to turn off and the Emissions Ready Green Light to appear in my CEL Code Scanner.  Then it passed inspection no problem.