Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so this happened...tread separation

I had two goodyears blow on me.  They were both brand new too.  They had maybe 10,000 miles on them if that.  Were always loud on the road, then one day one let loose. Sure was a fun ride! A week later, the other goodyear got massive bubbles on the tread surface.

Yea, it can happen to any tire. My girlfriend's parents had this happen to them in their PT Cruiser on the way back to South Carolina several years ago. Don't know what kind of tires those were. And I've seen several other tires separate, but caught before they blew up (most recently, some Kumhos on my mom's Legacy).

Usually it will cause a very mild vibration/wobble first, which can be felt even at low speed. A good spin on a tire balancer, and you can see the tread wondering back and forth....

Yours were probably newer but in general for other readers, rubber doesn't age well so old tires are no good and depending how there were used, treated, stored, etc can vary lot in how the rubber compounds stand the test of time.

Very true. I  replace my tires after their time is up regardless of their tread condition.

Yikes. Viva's used to be good, til they started selling them at Wal Mart (not unlike a lot of things...)

As far as tires and age go, if you want to know the date, look on the sidewall for 2 boxes. One will have a 4 digit number in it (something like 1-52 for the first 2 numbers, followed by 2 digits), and the other one will be a string of numbers and/or letters. The box with 4 digits is the date code of manufacter. I.E., if its say, 3505, the tires were manufactured the 35th week of 2005. The other box next to it is the tire's serial number. When I was working in the shop, they told us that as far as tires go, anything dated more than 5 years old was considered to be a bad tire and we could not sell them. Shelf life for tires is 5 years (some resources say 6 years)

If the date code is within 5 years and this happened, depending on how much tread is left you may be able to contact Goodyear and get a replacement for free or reduced cost (again, depending on the tread wear when this happened, they will most likely prorate the price of a new tire for you,) if you were the one that purchased these tires and had them installed by a shop, go back to the shop that put them on and ask them to look at the warranty paperwork for that tire. By law they must record the serial number of the tires they install on the invoice, for situations such as this (warranty claims), and to keep track in case there is a recall for faulty tires (think Firestone and the Ford Explorer recalls a number of years back).

Edited by TheWanderer

When I was working in the shop, they told us that as far as tires go, anything dated more than 5 years old was considered to be a bad tire and we could not sell them. Shelf life for tires is 5 years (some resources say 6 years)

This is why I bought my own tire machine.......

I routinely mount up and run tires up to 15 years old........it all depends what condition they are in, how they were stored, how many miles.....etc..

It's just stupid to say that a tire with zero miles that sat on a shelf for 5 years is "a bad tire".  I buy 5-10 year old used tires all the time and run em...

I'm pretty sure the tires on my service truck are from the 80's.......recently put a new tube in one cause the stem ripped.......Tire was still flexible and mounted easy (split rims)

This is why I bought my own tire machine.......

I routinely mount up and run tires up to 15 years old........it all depends what condition they are in, how they were stored, how many miles.....etc..

It's just stupid to say that a tire with zero miles that sat on a shelf for 5 years is "a bad tire".  I buy 5-10 year old used tires all the time and run em...

I'm pretty sure the tires on my service truck are from the 80's.......recently put a new tube in one cause the stem ripped.......Tire was still flexible and mounted easy (split rims)

YMMV of course.  My info comes directly from Bridgestone/Firestone and their engineers, as well as other sources.  Fact of the matter is, rubber drys out with age and the compound loses integrity.  Coupled with the heat generated by friction while driving,..  Personally I won't run tires older than 6 years max, and try to buy as new as I possibly can (even when buying used tires, I go with this and its never failed me yet).  And considering most tires are rated for 50k miles or more, and the fact that average people drive 10k to 15k miles a year, 5-6 years per set of tires (under optimum conditions) isn't really a big deal to me.

I just finished off a set of 23 year old retreaded rally-x tires :rolleyes: was in a drive through and i made a slow turn on hot asphalt in all-wheel (Stupid) and when the tires couldnt skid a front tire shreaded down the center, without popping, and a back tire went Bang!

they were awesome tires, not to mention old (walnut-shell retreads), put about 15k on them, mostly going aroung 50-80 on dirt :D

I found that used tires are not a good buy, especially on the small tires of the Loyale.  Installation and balancing cost as much as the tire, and you wound up with a worn tire of unknown history for almost as much as if you bought a brand new one.  Having your own installation and balancing equipment would improve the economics a lot.

I have found that my Loyale ate tires.  I could not get much more than 25,000 miles out of a set, no matter which brand, how much I paid, or what the tread wear was rated for.  The set it came with, 175/80-R13 Pirelli P3's, were the only ones that lasted, and they were showing steel at 50,000 miles, but I only had them for 5000 of that.  The Hankook 185/70-R13's lasted  2 years (no winters) and maybe 25,000.  The Kumho 165/80-R13's lasted the same.  I spent $100 each on Toyo's with the highest tread wear rating I could find, and a guarantee, and got 2 years out of them too.  (The guarantee was useless, they would not believe my log showing the actual mileage, which was 20,000 km less than shown on the odometer, as I only ran them as summer tires.) 

Now I have a Forester.  I hope it doesn't eat tires too.

Edited by robm