Ultimate Subaru Message Board

our Cars Unique Quirks

The air vents changing is fixable. The check valve between the manifold and the reservoir is failing, or there is a leak in the system after it.

Not sure where the check valve you are referring to is located...?

Maybe related (?)my cruise control kicked in all by itself last time I hit ~68mph -and would not turn off!

The horn on my GL was pressure sensitive. If you just slightly pushed on the steering wheel, it would let out a quiet, polite little squeak. As you pushed harder it would get increasingly loud until it hit full volume. Sometimes when honking at something it would sound like a pubescent teens squeaky voice.

• Like 2

The horn on my GL was pressure sensitive. If you just slightly pushed on the steering wheel, it would let out a quiet, polite little squeak. As you pushed harder it would get increasingly loud until it hit full volume. Sometimes when honking at something it would sound like a pubescent teens squeaky voice.

Like the Voice of Foghorn Leghorn:confused: 

I'll like to hear that!  :D 

Haha DaveT your gonna kill the thread if you keep tellin everybody how to fix the quirks. We are gonna have to change the name to "weird quirks our cars used to have before DaveT fixed them all". jk i'm glad your offerin up the knowledge and helpin everybody out. Its just funny perhaps you've become the hero of the thread.

• Like 4

Ooh the intermittent wipers on my GL took the word intermittent very seriously. When the wiper stalk was on the intermittent setting, when the wipers went to activate, they would only move about 2 inches, then stop........ Move another 4 inches, stop..... Move an inch, stop, move 2 inches, stop... Proceed through the rest of the swipe and return. Then they'd pause the standard time, and repeat. Wonder if that was in anyway related to the pressure sensitive horn...

• Like 2

I believe there is a switch inside the wiper motor that keeps it running until the wiper has completed a cycle.  So a pulse starts the wiper, then the switch keeps it running until finished, and then a while later, another pulse starts it again.

If this switch is dirty, it won't stay running.  It will only run as long as the pulse is on. 

Pull it apart and clean the contacts.  It is a bit fiddly, but can done. 

Edited by robm

Oh the intermittent wipers. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Also yesterday found out my intermittents are no longer operational at all. RIP intermittent setting.

My two favorite issues with my wonderful sedan are my sticky hill holder that works fine until I'm in the worst possible place for it to just stick. I put up with it for almost two years, last week got in a pinch with it stuck on... Hack saw to the cable fixed that issue. The other issue which is more comical to me than anything is that my car idles about 300 rpm higher when it's full of fuel than when it's below half a tank.

Holy Cow! ... :o ... I must admit that I completely Forgot about the intermittent setting on the Wipers of my Subie, that Feature stopped working as it should since 1994, and despite that I know that the issue must be located internally, on the Wiper Motor, I have been too Lazy to fix it, maybe because here is almost not needed: On the Caribbean we either have Sun Shining or Downpours, more often than slow rains... 

... my sticky hill holder ... Hack saw to the cable fixed that issue. ...

If you removed the Cable from the Clutch Fork to the Hill Holder's Check Valve, then you shall place a Return Spring at the clutch Fork, because it was located at said Valve, and the clutch might develop certain wear without the Spring. There's a placement for that spring at the Fork, because not all these Subarus featured Hill Holder, you can buy the exact spring at the Subaru Dealer.

Kind Regards.