Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it possible to have a bad rim/wheel?

I have had this 06 legacy sedan for 8 years and for as long as I remember there was always one tire that had lower pressure compared to the rest. The car had been on 2 accidents. Over this time there have been 3 different sets of tires on it. The newest set has been on a month and one tire was down about 12 lb when I checked it today. I tried a can of fix a flat on the low tire about 5 years ago and it did not help. Should I get a new rim?

If it is an alloy wheel, corrosion can build up at the tire bead causing a slow air leak. A tire shop can take off the tire, clean off the corrosion build up, and some sealant goop, and remount the tire. The store that sold you the tires should do this free of cost.

I try to check the tire pressure of my tires at the first of each month. I have a cig lighter air pump to fill up the tires, if any are down a little on air pressure. If you consistently have one tire down each month on air pressure, that is when I take it to the tire shop for evaluation, and corrosion clean up, sometimes, the shop will find a leak in the tire.

Was the car wrecked in the side? Was that wheel impacted?

Wheels can be bent, cracked, corroded, or something as stupid as the wrong type of wheel weights being used can create a small leak between the tire and rim.

Need to have it thoroughly checked by a tire shop. If there is dirt/corrosion where the bead of the tire seals against the wheel it needs to be cleaned off.

A wheel bent enough to cause a leak should be visible, but not always.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Thank you. This alloy rim has been thru 3 sets of tires over the years and leaked , seems to be worse than it was 2 years ago. The shop probably will charge me at least 40 to check it out I would rather try to find a new rim and be done with it. The last tire on this rim exploded on the highway, what a mess, so I think I will call my mechanic. 

About 7 years ago car was hit in rear side, one rim was cracked- this one was probably on the other side. The car is still a bit crooked looking from that one.

About 7 years ago car was hit in rear side, one rim was cracked- this one was probably on the other side. The car is still a bit crooked looking from that one.

From your above quote, sounds like you may have bent something in the suspension, or bent a wheel. Before buying any new wheel(s), suggest you go to an alignment shop to see if the suspension is okay. Often, a shop will not charge for an inspection, if it turns out that replacement suspension parts are needed before an alignment can be completed.