Ultimate Subaru Message Board

May need new tire. Do I replace all four?

I have had a tire plugged a few times, but it seems to last only a few months at most.  Currently, I have 45,000 miles on the original tires.  They are in good condition otherwise.  Someone was telling me about the circumference of all four tires being within 1/4".  Can the dealer evaluate that?

Yeah, on a subaru (or any AWD car really) if the tires aren't close to each other in depth of tread, the car may encounter difficulties, especially in the snow. I have never heard any specific measurement different for best results but the 5/32" is believable, if not even less (like 3 or 4/32") 

Are you sure it is leaking out of the plug and not around the bead? Because the bead is a very very common place for wheels to leak, especially a very slow leak like what you have.

Best of luck!

Far better/cheaper option if your tires are still in good enough shape- The industry standard as of the last few or several years is that plugs are temporary, patches are permanent. I would find a decent shop, or even Wal Mart TLE is good/cheap to pull the tire, patch it properly and put a new valve stem in for good measure. It will cost $20 and likely stop whatever leaking issues you've got.

• Like 1

yeah patch it. 

lasts only a few months - you've done it multiple times?  is this is regular hole in the tread?  

it's not in the sidewall right?

i've never had a plug not hold. 

you can use also use two plugs at one time, that might help. 

45,000 miles is a lot, surprised they still have good tread.

yeah patch it. 

lasts only a few months - you've done it multiple times?  is this is regular hole in the tread?  

it's not in the sidewall right?

i've never had a plug not hold. 

you can use also use two plugs at one time, that might help. 

45,000 miles is a lot, surprised they still have good tread.

Yea, years back, the way to fix a nail hole flat was to plug the tire, without even removing the wheel from the car. I never had any plug cause a problem. Then, the last few years, it has become a patch, where by the tire is removed from the road wheel to apply the patch. Maybe the extra work is so the repair is more expensive, thus more profitable. Anyone with thoughts on this.

Tire dealers love to sell the story that you have to replace all four; I don't buy it.  With $400 minimum for a complete change look at all other options unless you are independently wealthy.  

I just cashed my check fro  the tire companies for endorsing replacing all 4 tires, now i can buy that gold tooth.

I STRONGLY suggest you READ the history of this board, ever freaking site on Full time AWD, educate yourself on how it works, then form an opinion. Also NOT replacing all 4 tires make the dealers far more money in  shop costs replacing an AWD  system then 4 tires does.

• Like 1

From what I understand if the hole in the tire isn't round or a perfect fit for the plug it will still leak no matter what you do, where a patch will seal the hole no matter what. 

The tire dealer that I go to will fix my flats for free and they only do patches.  Also on their warranty paperwork for the tires they state that a plug will void the warranty and should only be used in a emergency.  All I have done is to plug the tire and then have them pull the plug and patch it a week or so later when I get down to them.

WalMart wont pull a temp plug to patch a tire. If the temp plug is failed, the tire is because the plugs can absorb water into the tire... Awd needs 4 tires. I've put 2 tires on subarus for people in a pinch. I'm not supposed to, but with a disclaimer signed, I can

. You can feel and hear the tires fightingg

I just cashed my check fro  the tire companies for endorsing replacing all 4 tires, now i can buy that gold tooth.

I STRONGLY suggest you READ the history of this board, ever freaking site on Full time AWD, educate yourself on how it works, then form an opinion. Also NOT replacing all 4 tires make the dealers far more money in  shop costs replacing an AWD  system then 4 tires does.

From what I've seen here that a reasonable proximity in tread, wear, etc. should be the objective.  Not replacing all four tires with brand new ones every time you have a serious blowout.    That is way too religious for me, and a budget buster.  

Oh and by the way with the price of oil hitting recent lows why are petro products like tires and anti-freeze so expensive?

ive plugged tires in the past and had them last for years and ive also plugged tires and had them go out again a month or 2 later. my favorite plug job was on my own tire i plugged the side wall i know i shouldent have but the tire was near new tread wise and i was broke. that tire went on 3 years before the plug blew out and i was forced to get another tire but at that time the tire was well worn and needed replacing.