Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 security reprogram troubles

I recently purchased a 1999 Legacy and it did not come with a key fob. I bought a used one on Amazon and tried to reprogram it. I followed the instructions found in the owners manual

Open and close drivers door

Cycle key from "lock" to "on" ten times, ending on lock and leaving the key in

Horn will sound, open close door, press any button on fob, remove key from ignition.

No matter what I do I can't get it to into programming mode, no horn sound at all. I have tried the ignition cycle slow and fast but it doesn't seem to matter. The horn does work, the security system works (I can arm it with the door lock button from the inside but I have to cycle the ignition 3 times to silence the alarm since I don't have a working fob) and I have tried the entire sequence multiple times with no luck programming the fob. I even tried disconnecting the battery, stepping on the brake pedal, and reconnecting the battery, still nothing.

I did a quick google search and found a few threads of people having the same problem. Some of them never fixed it, others said it just worked randomly. Any advice?

This link has more detailed instructions and information about the alpine alarm system. Make sure you have one of the three remotes that article mentions. Either oval with grey buttons or orange/blue buttons or you can use the later teardrop remote. I had the teardrop remote and an older style one with my forester, both worked great.

If you got a remote that's square with square buttons it will not work, that's for the code alarm system in 98 down.

Is the battery in the remote good? IIRC there's a red light that comes on when you push buttons. Also, does your car regognise when the key is in the ignition? Ie. does it start dinging? I had a problem where the key in the ignition switch broke an as such wouldn't go into programming mode. Also, does the door open light come up on the dash when the door is open? Same deal, if that doesn't work it won't go into program mode.

Remote is good, led lights up

Yes the key dings when in the ignition

Yes the door indicator works, the light on the dash comes on

I do have the alpine system, the car came with the origional owners manual and it lists the reprogramming steps.

I have made sure all of doors are unlocked, including the hatch, and all of the doors are closed. I haven't tried in a few days, I feel like I am destroying my ignition with all of these attempts!! Haha next thing I know the key is going to snap off inside there :o

It's possible that your used remote is faulty (I'm assuming that you've inserted fresh batteries).

One way to test the remote is to find someone who has a similar Subaru (cars101 will give you a list of compatible vehicles), and to try to program your remote on that other car. If the reprogramming still doesn't work, then I would suspect a faulty remote.

• Like 1

The car not going into reprogramming mode has nothing to do with the remote. If I was hearing the first horn beep, reprogramming, and it wasn't working then I would know its the remote...

I gave it another go, this time I armed the security system from inside by locking the doors. The light blinks like normal so I know its not in valet mode. I turned the key and the system went off. I cycled the key 3 times and the system disarmed so I know it can read the key cycles.

Then I tried the reprogram steps but still no horn honk, I even kept going after 10 cycles, still nothing.

you may need to swing by a dealership when they aren't too busy and see if a salesman would do it for you - maybe offer him a coupla lottery scratchers if he's successful?

I don't know if there's a big difference from your model, but I had no problem doing it 2-3 times in my wife's 03.

does the horn work?

Make certain the security system is not enabled. (cycle key 3 times quickly if not sure)

make sure you are going past ACC to ON (but not start) , and back past ACC to LOCK (off).

I THINK you have to have a ffoot on the brake pedal too so, if the brake pedal switch were bad - it may not work.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan